Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Legally Licensed Exempt and DC Ins?
Baby Beluga 01:24 PM 08-14-2014
I hope this is okay to put here - the Ins sub forum doesn't seem to get much traffic.

I operate legally licensed exempt in my state with no more then 4 children (one who is my own). I rent, my landlord is aware I do this and has given me permission to do so. I need to get DC insurance, but because I am legally licensed exempt (and do not wish to be licensed) I can't find anyone to cover me. I've called DCI, blue tree house, assure childcare and vantage. They have all turned me down.

I know there are other legally licensed exempt providers here, what do you do for insurance? I just went from providing part time care to full time care and am afraid if I don't find ins I may have to just close all together. Please help!
Margarete 02:00 PM 08-14-2014
Standard renters insurance may cover you, like it would for anyone 'babysitting' in their home, but definitely ask.
TomCopeland 02:05 PM 08-14-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I hope this is okay to put here - the Ins sub forum doesn't seem to get much traffic.

I operate legally licensed exempt in my state with no more then 4 children (one who is my own). I rent, my landlord is aware I do this and has given me permission to do so. I need to get DC insurance, but because I am legally licensed exempt (and do not wish to be licensed) I can't find anyone to cover me. I've called DCI, blue tree house, assure childcare and vantage. They have all turned me down.

I know there are other legally licensed exempt providers here, what do you do for insurance? I just went from providing part time care to full time care and am afraid if I don't find ins I may have to just close all together. Please help!
Every insurance company that I am aware of won't insure you unless you meet your state's licensing standards. You can search my insurance directory here:http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/famil...directory.html
Baby Beluga 07:45 PM 08-14-2014
Thanks Tom, I will certainly look into your directory.

I looked into renters ins and got a big fat no.

Anyone else want to chime in with their experiences or have any suggestions for me?
kitkat 07:52 PM 08-14-2014
I am legally unlicensed in WI and have a rider(?) of some sort through State Farm. I honestly am not sure what it covers, but it is daycare related. I have a great agent who set up our insurance 8 years ago, but I should probably double check what it covers
jenboo 10:20 PM 08-14-2014
Before I was licensed, I got a rider for my homeowners insurance through american family
LysesKids 03:49 AM 08-15-2014
State farm covers me as well... I started with them when I started in daycare 14 years ago; I also live in a manufactured house, but I have rented in the past and it still wasn't an issue. They will cover daycare liability as long as you are running legal under your state rules and you have the landlords permission - my policy is part of my homeowners insurance; and yes I, adjusted the policy when I moved states
Baby Beluga 06:27 AM 08-15-2014
I rent; my landlord knows I do daycare and has given me permission to do so. That's good to know about State Farm, thank you for sharing. I sent in an inquiry today and I sure hope they can help.
Daycare Insurance 10:19 AM 08-15-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I am very sorry that we could not help you. Many companies do not provide coverage for exempt providers because of the lack of regulation over those operations. Part of the reason we can offer coverage at such an affordable rate is because of the training and oversight by state licensing organizations. Even though we could not provide coverage for you we do offer many education pamphlets regarding child care insurance and how to protect your business. If you need any of these please give us a call.

We do realize it can be advantageous for a provider to be legally exempt but from the standpoint of an insurance company it would be quite similar to providing auto insurance coverage to a unlicensed driver.
Reply Up