Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Favorite Frugal Meals?
Pepperth 12:06 PM 02-06-2015
I'm trying to create a meal plan that is nutritious and cheap to make. My daycare is a pretty new operation still and I feel that I need to bring my food budget down a bit, at least until I bring in a few more kids. I've had lots of compliments on my well-balanced meals from the DCM's, so I don't want to lose out on quality. I'm the food program. What are your best frugal meal ideas?
Baby Beluga 12:17 PM 02-06-2015
My kids love pinto beans. I cook them in the crock pot so they are super easy and cheap.

Our favorite way to eat them is with cilantro lime brown rice.
Unregistered 12:19 PM 02-06-2015
I cook great northern beans in chicken broth, drain and then add them to ramen noodles.
Pepperth 12:45 PM 02-06-2015
Do you have a recipe for cilantro lime rice or is it a mix? That sounds delicious.
jenboo 12:55 PM 02-06-2015
beans, beans and more beans
NeedaVaca 12:57 PM 02-06-2015
When hams are on sale I buy one, my family eats, daycare kids get a meal, then I cube the rest and make either split pea soup, ham & potato soup or ham and beans it's enough for my family and daycare, plus we get still have leftovers for scrambled eggs or omelettes with ham. It goes a long way and when they are on sale they are only $7-9.
melilley 01:18 PM 02-06-2015
I often make extra of what we are having for dinner and set it aside for dc the next day.

Beans are great, but I can't stand them...lol

If you want to get away from beans:
Quesadillas
AuGratin Potatoes with ham
Crock pot chicken noodle soup
Spaghetti
Cold lunches (I sometimes do on Friday's) like cottage cheese w/ fruit, cheese sticks, sandwiches etc...
Breakfast lunches
Eggs

There's lots more, I just can't think right now.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 02:20 PM 02-06-2015
pizza- homemade crust (flour and yeast are from the coop), 1/4 jar of spaghetti sauce (rest goes toward spaghetti another day) 1 pkg of mozzarella ($1.79 at aldis) add peas and bananas to complete meal.

Spaghetti with meatballs (I buy ground turkey on sale and make my own), carrot sticks and apples

Cheese Quesidillas, corn, oranges.

string cheese, homemade vegie soup, homemade bread, apples.

Baked beans, cornbread, mixed raw veggies, bananas

Bean soup, cornbread, veggies, oranges.

chicken noodle soup (homemade noodles, I will make a whole chicken for family saving some of the meat for the soup, cook the bones overnight in the crockpot for broth) peas on the side and apples.

scrambled eggs, toast, veggies, oranges.
Baby Beluga 03:16 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
Do you have a recipe for cilantro lime rice or is it a mix? That sounds delicious.
http://chipotlefan.com/index.php?id=rice_recipe

Nothing special

I will say it tastes MUCH better when using basmati rice - but I generally have brown on hand so I just use that.
laundrymom 03:23 PM 02-06-2015
We do a lot of pasta.
. I buy huge boxes of whole wheat pasta, boil and sprinkle on parm cheese. Real parm. Not that green container. Truly, 6$ of cheese lasts forever. It only takes 1-2 tablespoons to get the taste because it's so strong a cheese. I toss in a few leaves of fresh spinach that I grow indoors. Torn into quarter sized pieces. Then add a can of diced tomato. I serve yogurt and Apple slices with it.

"Magic" sandwiches. (Egg in a hole, egg in a basket) I let them see me start them. Then a few times during cooking I let them peek and see the magic happen while the egg cooks.

I'll cook a few chicken breasts in the crock pot. With some herbs and water. Stew them all day and make chicken mashed potato "sundaes" with a green salad and manderines oranges.

My biggest tip is to measure servings. Most people put way more than a serving on a kids plate. I know I was guilty of it for decades.
Buy in bulk and make the plate pretty.
Sometimes I lay out choices for them to make faces on a tortilla. W peas, black olives, tomato discs from cherry tomatoes. Shredded cheese. Etc.

Oatmeal with fresh fruit sprinkled on top.
We do rice often and add all kinds of crazy things. Also the more pasta shapes you can give the more diverse their world seems to get.
We do couscous w mushrooms and diced tomato
Baked carrots/broccoli/cauliflower w sprinkled cheese on top

I offer no juice, nuggets, hot dogs, or cookies.
For "nuggets" I cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts. Cracker crumb them and bake.
We do baked chicken legs too.
Kids seem to think chicken only comes in a tiny ketchup dunk able piece.
Also, beef and noodles. Chicken and noodles, pork and noodles.
Baked potatoes that are topped w veg.
Scrambled eggs, pancakes, carrot sticks and applesauce.
I'm trying to think of things we had this week.
Lasagna, cucumber/cream cheese/olive party style sandwiches.
Saltines w avocado spread (just mashed Avocado)
NoMoreJuice! 03:45 PM 02-06-2015
When I went from six kids to twelve, my grocery bill went way up! I wasn't willing to feed kids processed nuggets, so I went on a huge price-watching binge. I have a folder that has the lowest price I'll pay for anything (50 cents a pound for apples, $1.20 a pound for chicken, $2 a pound for ground turkey, etc) and I take it with me everywhere I go. I also check every sale ad in the paper, and when there's a great sale on meat I will stock my entire deep freeze with it. That's one way to help keep the costs down.

I also buy most of my veggies frozen. The nutrition is equal to fresh produce, and that way I can buy a ton when it's on sale and have it on hand. Carrots, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, green beans, etc all go on sale occasionally for very little.

For shelf stable items, I normally go to Costco. I only buy what they put on manufacturer's rebate specials, such as crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, and more. I also buy all my milk from Costco, as a gallon of 1% is $2.75 and it's over $4 a gallon at my grocery store. I go through 4 gallons a week, so that's $260 a year I'm saving on milk alone!

Once you have a handle on your food cost, you can start tweaking your menu to be more affordable. I like to cook a lot of chicken in my crock pot, then shred it and make many meals from it. Chicken quesadillas, chicken salad, chicken and noodles, etc. Chicken is one of the least expensive proteins that I've found and is very versatile.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Crystal 04:41 PM 02-06-2015
I buy whole chicken when on sale. I will boil them and make chicken stock, removing meat and adding to stock. Then freeze in freezer bags. When ready to use, defrost. Some times I make dumplings and add after defrosting. Some times it's veggies and rice or noodles for chicken soup. Home made biscuits are a favorite with the soup. I also make beef stew, stocking up on roast when on sale and cubing and freezing for later. I also use whole chicken for roasting, adding carrots and potatoes. It also makes great burritos, I make pinto beans or black beans ahead of time and then "refry" them when ready to use. Home made meatballs are a favorite too, I buy ground sirloin in bulk when on sale and make the meatballs ahead of time. Sometimes we will have them in spaghetti, other times just meatballs with the appropriate sides. Home made chili is another favorite and is inexpensive as well....some times it's chicken chili, sometimes made with ground sirloin. I try to make as much as possible and freeze for later use, as it really cuts down on food prep during work.
daycare 06:05 PM 02-06-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
When I went from six kids to twelve, my grocery bill went way up! I wasn't willing to feed kids processed nuggets, so I went on a huge price-watching binge. I have a folder that has the lowest price I'll pay for anything (50 cents a pound for apples, $1.20 a pound for chicken, $2 a pound for ground turkey, etc) and I take it with me everywhere I go. I also check every sale ad in the paper, and when there's a great sale on meat I will stock my entire deep freeze with it. That's one way to help keep the costs down.

I also buy most of my veggies frozen. The nutrition is equal to fresh produce, and that way I can buy a ton when it's on sale and have it on hand. Carrots, broccoli, peas, cauliflower, green beans, etc all go on sale occasionally for very little.

For shelf stable items, I normally go to Costco. I only buy what they put on manufacturer's rebate specials, such as crackers, peanut butter, coconut oil, and more. I also buy all my milk from Costco, as a gallon of 1% is $2.75 and it's over $4 a gallon at my grocery store. I go through 4 gallons a week, so that's $260 a year I'm saving on milk alone!

Once you have a handle on your food cost, you can start tweaking your menu to be more affordable. I like to cook a lot of chicken in my crock pot, then shred it and make many meals from it. Chicken quesadillas, chicken salad, chicken and noodles, etc. Chicken is one of the least expensive proteins that I've found and is very versatile.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Wow what state do you live in. The cheapest I have found apples in about a year is $1.19 a pound. I have $14 kids daily and a grocery bill of about $2000 a month. That is just daycare not including my family of 5... I also don't seve processed stuff
permanentvacation 07:21 PM 02-06-2015
I make a lot of one pot dishes each with different noodles, 2 veges, and meat. In the following examples, I cook the meat and then cut it into small bite sizes and add it to the pot with everything else.

elbow macaroni noodles
chicken
peas
carrots
Campbell's cream of chicken

egg noodles
thin steak
broccoli
red peppers
Worcestershire sauce
steak sauce

spaghetti noodles
ground beef
onions
green peppers
spaghetti sauce

Basically, pick a type of noodles and some meat and throw in 2 different vegetables with the proper seasoning/sauce for the meat. You can make enough for one meal or a couple of meals if you like left overs or if you want to freeze some.

One big plus (and the reason I started making one pot meals for daycare) is that since the different foods are all cooked and served together as one dish, most children will eat all sorts of vegetables and meats that, if served separately, they would refuse to eat.

I do also serve regular meals where everything is served separately, but I really like the one pot meals best.
Crystal 08:21 AM 02-07-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wow what state do you live in. The cheapest I have found apples in about a year is $1.19 a pound. I have $14 kids daily and a grocery bill of about $2000 a month. That is just daycare not including my family of 5... I also don't seve processed stuff
Daycare, is there a Sprout's near you? Fuji's are 69 cents a pound right now. Red apples are 99 cents a pound. They always have the best prices on produce and it is all fresh from local farms.
NoMoreJuice! 01:08 PM 02-07-2015
I was just going to add that I shop for most produce at Sprouts! I live in the Kansas City area, and we have excellent farmers markets everywhere, as well as tons of different grocery stores that are always competing against each other. Aldi usually has the cheapest bananas, Sprouts is great for apples.
CraftyMom 01:20 PM 02-07-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
I make a lot of one pot dishes each with different noodles, 2 veges, and meat. In the following examples, I cook the meat and then cut it into small bite sizes and add it to the pot with everything else.

elbow macaroni noodles
chicken
peas
carrots
Campbell's cream of chicken

egg noodles
thin steak
broccoli
red peppers
Worcestershire sauce
steak sauce

spaghetti noodles
ground beef
onions
green peppers
spaghetti sauce

Basically, pick a type of noodles and some meat and throw in 2 different vegetables with the proper seasoning/sauce for the meat. You can make enough for one meal or a couple of meals if you like left overs or if you want to freeze some.

One big plus (and the reason I started making one pot meals for daycare) is that since the different foods are all cooked and served together as one dish, most children will eat all sorts of vegetables and meats that, if served separately, they would refuse to eat.

I do also serve regular meals where everything is served separately, but I really like the one pot meals best.
I LOVE one pot meals, only problem is I can't claim it all on the food program. For combined meals I can only claim 2 components. So even thought the meal has every component in it, I still have to serve another 2 For example I could claim the meat and the noodles, but I'd have to serve 2 ADDITIONAL veggies or fruit to make it count
bananas 01:24 PM 02-07-2015
Wow! I'm jealous how cheap food is in other parts of the nation. Apples here are about $2.49/pound, milk is $4/gallon, blueberries are about $4 for a container the size of one child serving….(and that's if the store even has any in stock) same with blackberries or raspberries...I live in Alaska…a 1500sq ft. ranch style house averages $325 - 350k and utilities can sometimes cost the same as your mortgage!

I feel bad for not being able to cook these elaborate meals you guys can… I'd go broke in an instant!
Crystal 02:27 PM 02-07-2015
Went to sprout's today. In addition to apples at 69 cents a pound, I got peaches and nectarines for 88 cents a pound, whole cantaloupes for 88 cents EACH, kiwi's 3 for $1, tomatoes for 69 cents a pound, cucumbers and bell peppers for 2 for $1 and red potatoes for 69 cents a pound. I LOVE Sprout's!
Josiegirl 08:51 AM 02-08-2015
Wow, what a difference in price for some of this stuff. Green peppers were 1.99# and cantaloupes were 3.49 each this a.m. Only thing cheaper from your list, for me, was kiwi 4/1.00. But waddya know, they didn't have any.

For me,
we eat a lot of chicken, paired with noodles or rice. Pizza on Fridays usually.
I should be more careful with buying groceries but I'm not. I try to shop sales. I use our local bread outlet, which makes the bread, bagels, english muffins, buns, much cheaper.
I try to feed the kids fish once a week but that can be costly. I hardly ever serve ground beef anymore because of the price, unless I make something like spaghetti, extending the hamburg by adding smashed kidney beans.
Leigh 11:21 AM 02-08-2015
Originally Posted by bananas:
Wow! I'm jealous how cheap food is in other parts of the nation. Apples here are about $2.49/pound, milk is $4/gallon, blueberries are about $4 for a container the size of one child serving….(and that's if the store even has any in stock) same with blackberries or raspberries...I live in Alaska…a 1500sq ft. ranch style house averages $325 - 350k and utilities can sometimes cost the same as your mortgage!

I feel bad for not being able to cook these elaborate meals you guys can… I'd go broke in an instant!
Food costs are the same for me in the Midwest. My kids will only eat Honeycrisp apples (the most expensive) and Cuties brand oranges (they won't touch anything else other than canned Mandarins). My own kids and my daycare kids eat tons of expensive berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) every week. I'd love to avoid buying so much of them, but I WANT my kids to eat those kinds of things.
LK5kids 03:33 PM 02-08-2015
Breakfast skillet served at lunch

Baked or microwaved potatoes-sliced or cut up
Shredded cheese
Eggs
Sauté potatoes in a skillet, add beaten eggs, cook and stir, add cheese..serve.

Homemade chicken rice soup with carrots

Shredded BBQ chicken on a bun

Apricot chicken over rice

PB & jelly

Picnic lunch - yogurt, cuke slices & peppers with homemade dip, cheese &
Crackers, fruit

Spaghetti, sauce, grated cheese served on top. I add a bit of cooked quinoa to the sauce...though it's not cheap!

Scrambled eggs

French toast bake-bread and beaten eggs poured over top. Heavier breads like Brownberry Oatnut or it get too soggy

Fried Egg & cheese on a English muffin
bananas 03:38 PM 02-08-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Food costs are the same for me in the Midwest. My kids will only eat Honeycrisp apples (the most expensive) and Cuties brand oranges (they won't touch anything else other than canned Mandarins). My own kids and my daycare kids eat tons of expensive berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) every week. I'd love to avoid buying so much of them, but I WANT my kids to eat those kinds of things.
Oh believe me, I would love for these kids to eat that way too…but it comes down to would I rather have the money to pay for rent or have the money to pay for such "fanciful" meals (fancy for where I live!). The other day I splurged and bought kiwis which are $2 EACH at the store. 1 of the 5 kids even touched them. I made a quinoa edamame salad with sliced almonds, raisins, peppers, etc. the other day (cost about $45 in ingredients) and ONE kid touched it…my own :P. I'm not on the food program so I pay for this out of pocket. We have one grocery store and also have to pay 7% sales tax on all items I do a lot of sandwiches, scrambled egg/omelets, soups….I think I feed them Mac & Cheese about once a month and chicken nuggets about once a year….not terribly unhealthy, but not super healthy. Sigh..

For veggies I do mainly carrots, broccoli, peas, and green beans…occasionally edamame beans.
For fruits I stick to mainly grapes, strawberries, bananas, apples, and Cuties. Sometimes the store doesn't even have fruit in stock :-/ Depends on what day you go and when the barge last came in.
Josiegirl 04:25 PM 02-08-2015
Omigosh Bananas, 2 bucks each for a kiwi? Yikes. And to put all that $$$ into something so yummy and good for you and no one eats it?? I think I'd feed them only the stuff you know they'll eat. Usually I try to get them to broaden their horizons, but egads, not at those prices.
CraftyMom 06:31 PM 02-08-2015
Originally Posted by bananas:
Oh believe me, I would love for these kids to eat that way too…but it comes down to would I rather have the money to pay for rent or have the money to pay for such "fanciful" meals (fancy for where I live!). The other day I splurged and bought kiwis which are $2 EACH at the store. 1 of the 5 kids even touched them. I made a quinoa edamame salad with sliced almonds, raisins, peppers, etc. the other day (cost about $45 in ingredients) and ONE kid touched it…my own :P. I'm not on the food program so I pay for this out of pocket. We have one grocery store and also have to pay 7% sales tax on all items I do a lot of sandwiches, scrambled egg/omelets, soups….I think I feed them Mac & Cheese about once a month and chicken nuggets about once a year….not terribly unhealthy, but not super healthy. Sigh..

For veggies I do mainly carrots, broccoli, peas, and green beans…occasionally edamame beans.
For fruits I stick to mainly grapes, strawberries, bananas, apples, and Cuties. Sometimes the store doesn't even have fruit in stock :-/ Depends on what day you go and when the barge last came in.
With food costs so high you should join the food program! Is there a reason you do not want to? Just wondering because you could get some of your money back!
Pepperth 07:48 AM 02-09-2015
I decided this week I am using my pantry as much as possible, except for the obvious milk, eggs & fresh fruit. Today, I pulled out my bread maker for homemade cinnamon bread at snack time (huge hit with the kids), and I am making chicken pot pie for lunch. I have to figure out the rest of the week still, but I think I can pull it off.
bananas 11:27 AM 02-09-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
With food costs so high you should join the food program! Is there a reason you do not want to? Just wondering because you could get some of your money back!
I'm unlicensed! I just watch a few friends' until they're all school age (when they're all in school, I'll turn my second evening job into a full-time day job), so I'm not sure it's worth getting licensed at this point. It definitely does sound like an incentive though!
Reply Up