Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Swings
Unregistered 07:14 AM 04-29-2015
I have two swings on my swing set 2 out of 5 of my dcks can get on I themselves 1 out of 5 can push themselves. I literally spend my entire time outside lifting littles onto swings pushing them... Repeat. Does anyone else? It drives me because they don't actually burn any energy just sitting there. Advice?
Thriftylady 07:19 AM 04-29-2015
Perhaps make the swings part of a routine. Say in the morning we can swing in the afternoon we have to do other activities. Would something like that work?
Unregistered 07:36 AM 04-29-2015
Maybe I'm just crazy and I should suck it up since its "part of the job" but that's all they want to do lately. I can't wait for mucky spring to be over and I can bring out the rest of the toys!!
Thriftylady 07:59 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Maybe I'm just crazy and I should suck it up since its "part of the job" but that's all they want to do lately. I can't wait for mucky spring to be over and I can bring out the rest of the toys!!
Just because it's "part of the job" doesn't mean you can't make rules and set boundaries. I get what you mean about mucky spring, but I would try to offer a few choices, bring out as much as you can. Or you could use some or your outside time for taking walks and/or exploring the wonders of spring.
Indoorvoice 08:11 AM 04-29-2015
My rule is that I won't help them up or push them. If they want to play on the swings, they have to be big enough to do it themselves. Yes, that leaves my toddlers out, but it's amazing what other things they find to do. I don't think it's part of the job. My job is to supervise and keep them safe, which is really hard to do when you're tied up at the swing! Don't feel bad, they will find other things to do!
daycare 08:22 AM 04-29-2015
I don't pick up the kids. I kneel on the ground with one knee up facing the swing. I make the dcks face me placing their hands on the swing chains. they use my knee to step up and lift themselves onto the swing. If they can't do that, they don't swing.

I do teach them how to swing, it's not a natural thing that they just know how to do. so i do teach them pump legs and leaning back to make the swing go. I will push them a few times, inform them when to pump and then I am done.

If they are putting in the efforts to try to pump the swing I will help them, but if not, then I won't help them.

We don't have swings at the dc, but we go to the park and I do take the time to teach the kids how to swing. My own son did not learn to swing until last year and hes 7. the school does not have swings.

any other equipment my rule is that if you can't get on to it on your own you can't use it. Also, if it is twice your height, your not getting on. This goes for my under 3 crowd.
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
My rule is that I won't help them up or push them. If they want to play on the swings, they have to be big enough to do it themselves. Yes, that leaves my toddlers out, but it's amazing what other things they find to do. I don't think it's part of the job. My job is to supervise and keep them safe, which is really hard to do when you're tied up at the swing! Don't feel bad, they will find other things to do!
This if they can't do it themselves its not a developmentally appropriate activity.
KiddieCahoots 09:18 AM 04-29-2015
Same here. I keep the little's away from the swings for this reason, and because they aren't as aware of others swinging when they see that open swing and make a run for it. Most times they end up getting clocked in the head from another in full swing motion, or I'll yell for them to stop and they stop right near the child swinging and stand there looking at me, while the swinger swings past inches from their face.
My heart can't take that anymore.
Baby lady 11:39 AM 04-29-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This if they can't do it themselves its not a developmentally appropriate activity.
Yup, when I had a swing set, I never put kids onto the swings, to pushed them. I think some of the older kids thought I was mean or lazy but then they were amazed at how young the kids were that could do to themselves
butterfly 12:40 PM 04-29-2015
I got rid of my swing set last spring. Best thing I ever did!! I was tired of the fight over the swings, me doing all the work pushing them, kids walking into the swinging kids and getting hurt....

Now the kids have to use their imaginations and PLAY. They actually run around now and burn some energy.

I don't miss the swings at all!!
originalkat 11:58 AM 04-30-2015
I don't get kids on the swings and don't push either. The littles can swing on their tummies. If they haven't learned to pump their legs to swing, they learn quickly or sucker a friend into helping them.
Reply Up