Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Forms - Uploads>Need Help On Editing Policies
lovemykidstoo 06:08 AM 02-07-2017
Hi Everyone, I need some major help on editing my policy page that I have parent sign. I have attached what I have now. I have that I'm open 7:30 to 5:15, but I do have 2 people that their schedule changed and they are now coming at like 5:16/5:17. I'm wondering if I should change that part to 5:20 and anything past that is late. I also want to re-word the part that states that the rates are for holding the spot, not for attendance. I do charge for holidays if they fall on their normally scheduled day, but some just don't get that or don't want to. Am I wording it clearly enough? Should I make them bullet points instead of putting it all in a paragraph? Wondering if it gets lost that way. Another big thing is late fee for paying late. I have 1 family in particular that oh geez forgets her checkbook quite often. They all pay biweekly. How can I word that so it looks strong and how much would I charge? Thank you all so much!
Blackcat31 06:18 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Hi Everyone, I need some major help on editing my policy page that I have parent sign. I have attached what I have now. I have that I'm open 7:30 to 5:15, but I do have 2 people that their schedule changed and they are now coming at like 5:16/5:17. I'm wondering if I should change that part to 5:20 and anything past that is late. I also want to re-word the part that states that the rates are for holding the spot, not for attendance. I do charge for holidays if they fall on their normally scheduled day, but some just don't get that or don't want to. Am I wording it clearly enough? Should I make them bullet points instead of putting it all in a paragraph? Wondering if it gets lost that way. Another big thing is late fee for paying late. I have 1 family in particular that oh geez forgets her checkbook quite often. They all pay biweekly. How can I word that so it looks strong and how much would I charge? Thank you all so much!
I would definitely simplify the points you are trying to make. Bullet points makes it easy to read too...

Then the ONLY way to make sure these rules are followed is to enforce the consequences you have in place for them.

I ALWAYS add the late fee to late payments and explain to parents that it's automatic (via the accounting software I use) so asking me to waive it will do them no good.

Encourage parents to use their cell phones or buy an atomic clock to put near your sign in/out area....then they KNOW when they are late.....even if it's just a minute Late IS late.

When Mrs Jones says "Oh shoot I forgot my check book again!"
You say "Oh bummer, why don't you run to the bank real quick and get cash. That will save you the automatic $30 late fee."

Other than that, that's all I got.
lovemykidstoo 06:32 AM 02-07-2017
I like how that looks. I was in a hurry and didn't post the pics of what I have so far lol. I'll post them here.

Do you think I should change my closiing to 5:20? The 2 people that switched jobs really can't get here before 5:20, so I really don't mind doing that, but after 5:20 is irritating. Especially dad that came last night who changed his hours to getting out at 4:30 and didn't come until 5:25 and said he forgot to leave work at 4:30. grrr!

Also, what about the mom that comes back at 5:40 with her check? Woudl you consider that late or would next day be late? How do I word that if it's not here by 5:20 it's an extra $10?
Attached: page1 (2).jpg (221.1 KB) page2.jpg (198.5 KB) 
Blackcat31 06:53 AM 02-07-2017
I like how that looks. I was in a hurry and didn't post the pics of what I have so far lol. I'll post them here.

Do you think I should change my closiing to 5:20? The 2 people that switched jobs really can't get here before 5:20, so I really don't mind doing that, but after 5:20 is irritating. Especially dad that came last night who changed his hours to getting out at 4:30 and didn't come until 5:25 and said he forgot to leave work at 4:30. grrr!

Also, what about the mom that comes back at 5:40 with her check? Woudl you consider that late or would next day be late? How do I word that if it's not here by 5:20 it's an extra $10?
If you don't mind the 5:20 closing time, I'd allow it but I would leave it at 5:15 and privately make the agreement with the later families that you will allow 5:20 without fees added provided it IS 5:20 and not 5:21 or 5:22 etc and that if it becomes an issue you will need to start charging for it. I even go so far as state that "becomes an issue" means happens more than 2 times.... (if you set the actual # of times you are willing to allow it, it clear things up UPFRONT)

As for the check book mom, I would let her come back at 5:40 ONCE....after she makes mention of forgetting her check book and you suggest running to get it or running to the bank to get cash, say something like "Normally payments are due NO LATER than 5PM but I will waive the fee this ONE time so hopefully you won't forget it again." then smile big as if you understand but aren't kidding.

Then the second time she forgets you can say "You can run get it/to bank for cash but don't forget the late fee is automatic this time as it was waived last time so make sure you add in the additional $10. See you in a few minutes!"
She's only forgetting it because there is no reason for her to have to remember it.
lovemykidstoo 07:41 AM 02-07-2017
Check this out, edit away lol

Thank you for choosing me as your childcare provider. I want to welcome you and your child to our family. I treat all of the kids as if they're my own. We celebrate the holidays and birthdays too! You are welcome to send a treat for birthdays if you like. Just check with me in case there are any allergies in any of the children.

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact me any time. The following are my policies.

*My hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. *Late pickup fees apply at 5:20.

*Rates are $35 per day/per child and are based on enrollment, NOT attendance or time used.

*Payments are due for all days you normally schedule, including closed/holiday days. (New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.)

*You are not charged for any of my vacation days or if I take a day off due to my illness.

*Payment is due by 5:15 on Friday bi-weekly. Anything past 5:20 is considered late and an extra $10 late fee is implemented. No exceptions.

Illness policy:

If your child is ill, lease keep him/her home so that they can get the appropriate rest needed. If your child is vomiting, has a fever, excessive nasal discharge an unexplained rash, they need to be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning. By following these recommendations, a healthy environment will be kept for all the children in care.

Clothing:

Please bring a change of clothes that you can leave here in case of any accidents. Also bring appropriate seasonal wear. We do venture outside in the winter if it's above 20-25 degrees including the wind chill.

In the summer, please supply your child with a bottle of sunscreen if you want me to put it on your child. Before bringing your child in the morning, please put a layer of sunscreen on him/her and I will reapply in the afternoon.

I am happy to welcome you and your child to our family!
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 02-07-2017
I think it sounds great!

Its simple and easy to understand. If you want to add any attention getting type text/print, you can bold certain words or highlight certain sections....especially the parts where you say NO EXCEPTIONS of the time when late fees begin. That way they'll surely see/read that part!

Otherwise, it's short, sweet and to the point!
lovemykidstoo 08:34 AM 02-07-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think it sounds great!

Its simple and easy to understand. If you want to add any attention getting type text/print, you can bold certain words or highlight certain sections....especially the parts where you say NO EXCEPTIONS of the time when late fees begin. That way they'll surely see/read that part!

Otherwise, it's short, sweet and to the point!

You don't think it sounds too rigid? I do for the most part really like my families and don't want to come off sounding like a bitch.

How much do you charge when they're late? I put after 5:20 is considered late, so how much for after that?
thrivingchildcarecom 10:45 AM 02-07-2017
Looks like you got a lot of inspiration for revamping your policies. Regarding the late payers, I have found that if I send out reminders I don't have nearly as many issues with that. I send out a set reminder every Thursday morning. That way no one can say "Oh I forgot." Since I send the reminder regularly, I don't get any push back and they know I mean business. Here is what the reminder text (or email) says: "JUST A REMINDER: Next week’s tuition is due Friday MORNING. Late fees in the amount of $10.00 per child will be charged for each business day that payment is made past the day it was due."

Let me know if you would like to see any other policy verbiage.
lovemykidstoo 08:40 AM 11-04-2017
Originally Posted by thrivingchildcarecom:
Looks like you got a lot of inspiration for revamping your policies. Regarding the late payers, I have found that if I send out reminders I don't have nearly as many issues with that. I send out a set reminder every Thursday morning. That way no one can say "Oh I forgot." Since I send the reminder regularly, I don't get any push back and they know I mean business. Here is what the reminder text (or email) says: "JUST A REMINDER: Next week’s tuition is due Friday MORNING. Late fees in the amount of $10.00 per child will be charged for each business day that payment is made past the day it was due."

Let me know if you would like to see any other policy verbiage.
I'm just re-reading over all of this. Can you send me your entire policy page if possible?
lovemykidstoo 11:37 AM 11-13-2017
How much do you guys charge for a late fee if they're past their pickup time? I have 1 family that pickup is at 5:30, but dad often is not here until 5:35. Also, I want to add that after 9 hours of care, that I charge $5 more. how would I word that?
lovemykidstoo 11:44 AM 11-13-2017
Plus if you can look at my attachments above I'm not sure I like how I start it by saying, thank you for choosing me as your daycare provider yada yada. Sounds goofy I think.
lovemykidstoo 12:12 PM 11-13-2017
This is my new version. What am I missing? It looks so boring and negative to me. For my new families starting, I'm starting to implement $5 more for over 9 hours. I have a new baby starting next week and normally she will be 7:45 to 4:00, but when dad is out of town it will be 5:15. I don't want mom to think that they can add another 1 1/4hrs for the same daily rate of $35 (which reminds me, I forgot to add that to this sheet lol), so I'm saying anything over 9 hours is $5 more. The thing is though I don't want them to drop off late and pick up at 5:15 either, so how do I word that. Also, anything after 5:15 is considered late. How much do you charge past that?
Attached: daycarepolicies1.jpg (227.2 KB) daycarepolicies2.jpg (105.9 KB) 
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 11-13-2017
How much do you guys charge for a late fee if they're past their pickup time? I have 1 family that pickup is at 5:30, but dad often is not here until 5:35. Also, I want to add that after 9 hours of care, that I charge $5 more. how would I word that?
I charge $1 a minute per child the first time.
Double that the second time.
Termination the 3rd time.

As for $ covering only 9 hours of care, I would say "$XX covers up to 9 hours of care per day. Anything over 9 hours will be billed at $____ per ____ increment of time. "

Plus if you can look at my attachments above I'm not sure I like how I start it by saying, thank you for choosing me as your daycare provider yada yada. Sounds goofy I think.
Maybe start by saying "Thank you for choosing to do business with ABC Child Care!" instead?

This is my new version. What am I missing? It looks so boring and negative to me. For my new families starting, I'm starting to implement $5 more for over 9 hours. I have a new baby starting next week and normally she will be 7:45 to 4:00, but when dad is out of town it will be 5:15. I don't want mom to think that they can add another 1 1/4hrs for the same daily rate of $35 (which reminds me, I forgot to add that to this sheet lol), so I'm saying anything over 9 hours is $5 more. The thing is though I don't want them to drop off late and pick up at 5:15 either, so how do I word that. Also, anything after 5:15 is considered late. How much do you charge past that?
"Late drop off does not equate to late pick up. Each family is required to adhere to their contracted times unless arrangements have been made AND approved in advance"

Late pick up fees are stated above.
lovemykidstoo 01:23 PM 11-13-2017
I charge $1 a minute per child the first time.
Double that the second time.
Termination the 3rd time.

As for $ covering only 9 hours of care, I would say "$XX covers up to 9 hours of care per day. Anything over 9 hours will be billed at $____ per ____ increment of time. "

Maybe start by saying "Thank you for choosing to do business with ABC Child Care!" instead?

"Late drop off does not equate to late pick up. Each family is required to adhere to their contracted times unless arrangements have been made AND approved in advance"

Late pick up fees are stated above.

Thank you BC. I'm going to implement these things in and do you mind if I repost for further editing? I'm so bad with this kind of thing! lol
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 11-13-2017
Thank you BC. I'm going to implement these things in and do you mind if I repost for further editing? I'm so bad with this kind of thing! lol
no problem!
lovemykidstoo 02:56 PM 11-13-2017
no problem!
As far as the first line "Thank you for choosing ABC childcare". I don't really have a name for my daycare. How should I word that. Just Sheri's Child Care?

So this is my opening paragraph. How can I make it better?

"
Thank you for choosing me as your daycare provider! I want to welcome you and your child to our family. I treat all of the kids as if they’re my own. We celebrate birthdays and holidays too! You are welcome to send a treat for birthdays if you like, just check with me to see if anyone has any allergies. "
lovemykidstoo 03:31 PM 11-13-2017
Here it is. I'm still not happy with the first paragraph and the whole thing just seems negative to me. Help me make it nicer lol

"
SHERI’S DAYCARE

Thank you for choosing me as your daycare provider! I want to welcome you and your child to our family. I treat all of the kids as if they’re my own. We celebrate birthdays and holidays too! You are welcome to send a treat for birthdays if you like, just check with me to see if anyone has any allergies.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me at any time. The following are my policies:

*Available hours are 7:30 to 5:20 sharp. Late fees begin at 5:21
*Late fees are $1 per minute after closing time
*Rate is $35 per day/per child and covers up to 9 hours of care. Over 9 hours is an additional $5 per day
*Rates are based on enrollment not attendance or time used, so if your child does not come due to vacation, illness or holiday, payment is still due
*Fees are due for all days normally scheduled including closed holidays (New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day)
*You are not responsible for payment of any day that I take off as a vacation day or sick day
*Payment is due at drop off time on the last day of care bi-weekly. Late payments will automatically have a $10 per calendar day fee attached.

Illness policy:

If your child is ill, please keep him/her home so that they can get the appropriate rest needed. If your child is vomiting, has a fever, excessive nasal discharge an unexplained rash, they need to be symptom free (without medication) for 24 hours before returning. By following these recommendations, a healthy environment will be kept for all the children in care.

Clothing:

Please bring a change of clothes with your child’s name or initials on the tag that you can leave here in case of any accidents. Also bring appropriate seasonal wear. We do venture outside in the winter if it's above 20-25 degrees including the wind chill.

In the summer, please supply your child with a bottle of sunscreen if you want me to put it on your child. Before bringing your child in the morning, please put a layer of sunscreen on him/her and I will reapply in the afternoon.

I am happy to welcome you and your child to our family!

Please sign and date below. Thank you!