Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Received This In My Daycare Whisperer Email
nannyde 04:24 AM 11-03-2011
Hi, my name is _______________. I am attending _______ Highschool and every junior is required to do a project for our career plan. My career plan is to open up my own daycare business. I would like to ask you some questions and if the owner of this business could please answer them with their signiture at the bottom of the page and email it back to me it would be greatly appreciated. These questions are just to inform me and my classmates about what it takes and what it's like to own your own daycare. Thankyou for your time.

1.What type of education beyond highschool is needed to own your own daycare and how much does it cost on average?

2.What is the staring salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years(on average)?

3.What kind of retirement plans are there if any?

4.Is there any heath care plans?

5.How many hours do you work a day on average? What is the environment like?

6.Is there any wear and tear on the body and mind? Explain.

7.How well is your job security?

8.What are your opinions about the job (good and bad)?

9.Do you wish you could do something else or are you happy with your career?

--
This mail is sent via contact form on Nannyde - The Daycare Whisperer https://www.daycare.com/nannyde
Cat Herder 04:52 AM 11-03-2011
Cute.

I did mine on Fire Sciences and sent the letters to the local fire depts. Most of my responses said "Don't do it" and "Please go to college."

Ironic, my response to her would be the same.
nannyde 05:02 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Cute.

I did mine on Fire Sciences and sent the letters to the local fire depts. Most of my responses said "Don't do it" and "Please go to college."

Ironic, my response to her would be the same.
Oh no you don't.

Good try young lady

I put these up here for you guys to ANSWER them so I don't have to.

Cat Herder 05:18 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Oh no you don't.

Good try young lady

I put these up here for you guys to ANSWER them so I don't have to.

I figured... I promise I will.

I have to finish my chores before my day begins (bedsheets and linens, today)...so I will knock it out sometime this afternoon.
laundrymom 05:50 AM 11-03-2011
I answered in the quoted body.

Hi, my name is _______________. I am attending _______ Highschool and every junior is required to do a project for our career plan. My career plan is to open up my own daycare business. I would like to ask you some questions and if the owner of this business could please answer them with their signiture at the bottom of the page and email it back to me it would be greatly appreciated. These questions are just to inform me and my classmates about what it takes and what it's like to own your own daycare. Thankyou for your time.

1.What type of education beyond highschool is needed to own your own daycare and how much does it cost on average?

I am grandfathered in my states system so I'm not required to have anything beyond a high school diploma. I have obtained my CDA and am currently taking classes towards ece degrees. In my state new providers are required to have CDA.
2.What is the staring salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years(on average)?
I make the same income I did 24 years ago. I work fewer hours now than then so now am only working 65-70 hours per week.

I pay into my own retirement account.

I am thankfully married and my husbands job helps with group health care. As a small business owner all benefits are your responsibility. So are all taxes and fees.
I work 13-14 hours a day. If you can imagine putting cottage cheese into an onion sack and hanging it on a hook, now try to keep it from making a mess. Now hang 4 of these bags in different corners of the room. That's how busy I am.
Sore Knees, dry hands, tired muscles, tension headaches, worrying about various things, job security, illness, getting paid, clients happiness, childrens safety, happiness and development.
I am very diversified and have families from different industries so layoffs in one area don't affect others.
It's the hardest job on earth,... But the best.
Other than traveling with my family after winning a gob of cash, this is my dream job.

--
This mail is sent via contact form on Nannyde - The Daycare Whisperer https://www.daycare.com/nannyde

nannyde 06:28 AM 11-03-2011
See now Laundry Mom really CARES.

Thanks Laundry
joysjustlikehome 06:42 AM 11-03-2011
1.What type of education beyond highschool is needed to own your own daycare and how much does it cost on average? In Maryland you need to take an orientation and 24 clock hours as well as get fingerprinted, complete an application, medical evaluation, emergency evacuation plan, release of information forms - the cost is probably not more than $100.

2.What is the staring salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years(on average)? The salary really depends on the market - it has gone down a bit lately. I stated charged $85 per child and now get $170 per child ($225 for infants). I am licensed for 8 children although have only been able to fill 5 positions (including the two infant spots I am limited to).

3.What kind of retirement plans are there if any? We would be responsible for setting up our own retirement plan.

4.Is there any heath care plans? There is one we could purchase through our local family child care association ($55 yearly memeber dues to join) I am unsure of the cost since I am under my husband's policy.

5.How many hours do you work a day on average? What is the environment like? I work a 9.5 hour day with the children but that does not include the time I spend before and after the children are here cleaning, planning, doing laundry, washing dishes, sanitizing and cooking. Also there are hours on the weekend doing all of the above and shopping. The environment is sometimes noisey but since I create the environment it works well for me.

There is alot of wear and tear - bending, lifting, long work hours and the stress of dealing with parents and children who are both sometimes cranky.

7.How well is your job security? As well as can be expected - things can change quickly - all it would take is a family to move away, lose their job or decide to stay home.

I have been doing this job for 19 plus years - like any other job it has it's ups and downs but in the big scheme of things what other job could be this important - we are helping to shape the path these children will take - it's an awesome blessing and responsiblity.

9.Do you wish you could do something else or are you happy with your career? the only other job I wish I could have is lotto winner - other then that it's child care for me :0)
Meyou 07:03 AM 11-03-2011
Answered below in bold.

I am in Canada and am not required to be licensed for care of 6 children under 5 or less. I do have a university degree in an unrelated field and 10 years of business experience which helped me set up the financial end of my business.

On my own I have done a child abuse registry check, a police records check, Infant CPR and first aid training.

My salary is 15% higher than it was when I started 5 years ago. I decided when and how much to increase my prices. My salary now is more than it was working outside the home in my field.

I pay into a retirement plan at our bank.

I'm covered by my dh's health plan and my children are covered by their biological father's plan. I could pay into a private health care plan if I didn't use those options. I'm also in Canada so health care plans are a bonus above our free services.

I work 10 hours a day/50 hours a week. It's a great environment. I have a separate DC space adjoining our family space that is friendly and happy to be in.

For sure! Anyone who spends large amounts of time with little kids is going to be tired, physically and at times mentally. I'm physically exhausted at the end of the day. I walk an average of 12 km per day between my home and outside play (I wear a pedometer). Then there is lifting, bending, kneeling and all of the other physical tasks I have in a day. I go to bed by 10. Some days are mentally stressful too. A teething baby, a cranky toddler, a group that doesn't get along, being stuck inside in the winter are just a few stresses that can be hard on the mind. Not to mention headaches from loud little voices.

I consider it good. I don't have an opening until 2014 and have several families on a waiting list. I get inquiries weekly through word of mouth as well. My clients are diverse and I'm very careful who I enroll so we have the best chance at a long term relationship.

The good:
-chubby cheeks and sweet hugs
-working in my home
-seeing my children from 3pm on everyday instead of 6pm
-no workplace drama or gossip
-setting my own hours and prices
-determining my own rules and comfort zone
-watching little babies grow into little people that are kind and polite
-providing childcare that I wished I had for my kids when they were small
-no more traveling for work
-tax deductions
-hilarious stories told by 4 year olds
-the time to cook yummy things that we love

The bad:
-tiring, long days
-missing daytime activities at my children's schools
-wear and tear on my home
-constant and I mean constant cleaning
-dealing with one "stage" after another. They keep me on my toes!

I love my career. I left my field of study after a head injury and have found that I love childcare in a way I never thought possible. It started for me as a way to bring a little money in while I decided what I was going to do next but it quickly evolved into a viable and successful business that I adore.

laundrymom 07:08 AM 11-03-2011
See now Laundry Mom really CARES.

Thanks Laundry
Lolol. Excuse me while I wipe the brown off my nose. Lol I just want to be one of the cool kids!!! Lol
wdmmom 07:20 AM 11-03-2011
\

None

My first year, my net salary was only $10,000

None

Only if you purchase an individual policy through an insurance company. My husband and my policy is about $450 a month.

The environment is nice, because it's in my home. When I started, I worked 12 hours per day. I have since cut back to 10.5.

Oh yes! Carrying kids takes a toll on your hips, knees, and back. As for my mind, it was gone a long time ago!!!

Given the economy's present state, not very promising. There will always be kids that will need daycare but if parents aren't working or are getting laid off, your job security goes bye bye too.

I love my job! Although I hope to finish my degree in business management and accounting and work in the bank field in another 8 years or so.

While my kids are still young, this career is great for me! As they get older, I will probably pursue my career in the banking field.
Blackcat31 09:12 AM 11-03-2011

None. You just need to be 18 yrs old and be able ot pass a criminal background check. You also need Infant/child CPR and 1st Aide courses.

Starting salary is dependant on rates you charge and expense you have. My first year, I operated at a loss. Now at the 20 year mark, I am the family breadwinner.

(is that an answer? )

See answer for #3

I work on average 50-60 hours per week. The environment is loud, chaotic at times, messy and full of people who are less than 4 ft tall.

I am physically drained after each day and wonder often why it is I do not drink (alcohol)

see answer to #3

I personally love being my own boss. I love that I am the one in control of how successful (or not) I am. I love the flexibility daycare offers me. When my children were young, I loved that I was available for them.

The bad parts have become few and far between due to the length of time in business and all the lessons learned the hard way.

I wish I could do something else IN ADDITION to child care. There are not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

I wouldn't give up working in the field but do have hopes and dreams of doing things a bit "differently".
laundrymom 09:13 AM 11-03-2011
Rofl at #6. Lol
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

None. You just need to be 18 yrs old and be able ot pass a criminal background check. You also need Infant/child CPR and 1st Aide courses.

Starting salary is dependant on rates you charge and expense you have. My first year, I operated at a loss. Now at the 20 year mark, I am the family breadwinner.

(is that an answer? )

See answer for #3

I work on average 50-60 hours per week. The environment is loud, chaotic at times, messy and full of people who are less than 4 ft tall.

I am physically drained after each day and wonder often why it is I do not drink (alcohol)

see answer to #3

I personally love being my own boss. I love that I am the one in control of how successful (or not) I am. I love the flexibility daycare offers me. When my children were young, I loved that I was available for them.

The bad parts have become few and far between due to the length of time in business and all the lessons learned the hard way.

I wish I could do something else IN ADDITION to child care. There are not enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

I wouldn't give up working in the field but do have hopes and dreams of doing things a bit "differently".

MarinaVanessa 09:17 AM 11-03-2011
I feel like an over-achiever lol. Mine ended up very long, I guess I really thought about the questions and really got into it .

Small Licensed Family Child Care Home
Maximum Capacity: 8 Children

1.What type of education beyond high-school is needed to own your own daycare and how much does it cost on average?

To remain opened as a licensed child care home the state requires that I always have up-to-date certifications in Adult, Child and Infant CPR, Child Care First Aid and Child Care Preventative Health & Safety. The cost is $130 for all three certificates and the cost is the same to renew them every 2 years.

There is no other required education required however it is strongly suggested than anyone working directly with children should get, at minimum, professional courses and training in Child Development. Currently I am taking courses at a community college to achieve an Associate’s Degree and plan on continuing my education once I achieve that. It will have cost me $1,800 to $2,700 in 2 years to take all 27 required units (11 courses) including the cost of books.

2.What is the starting salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years(on average)?

The first year that opened I made $12,000, I opened in April of that year and it was difficult for me to get my first client. The 2nd year I made almost $50,000. The third year I made $25,000, I lost clients due to layoffs and budget cuts in subsidy payments. Next year will be my 5th year and I estimate my earning for this year to be $35,000. In 10 years I hope that the economy will have gone back to what it was before the crash of the economy and I expect to go back to earning $40,000+ a year. In 20 years I definetely anticipate making $50,000+ a year.

Earning salaries depend on the area and current costs of living. I charge a flat weekly rate of $160 for full time child care per child (5 days a week, 10 hours a day), that comes out to $3.20 an hour per full-time child. I have 2 of my own children that count against my ratios and therefore can only care for 6 other children (instead of the 8 that my license permits). When I am full (6 children) I can make approximately $1,960 a week/$3,840 a month/$49,920 a year.

When you run a child care out of your home you have to set aside your own money for your retirement. One is not provided for you because you are self-employed. It is best to save upwards to 10% of your income and put it into a retirement savings account.

Because you are self-employed health care benefit plans must be paid for out of pocket by you and are more costly than paying for one through an employer. In most cases there is a spouse in the home that works with an employer that provides health, dental and vision health benefits. This is more cost effective than retaining your own private health care.

I regularly work from 6:00am to 6:00pm. My days are roughly 12 hour days, Monday through Friday. Because many of my clients begin work at 8am or earlier having an early opening is important. Other clients work until 5:00pm or 5:30p.m. and so having a late closing time is also important. I do not however have any one child for the full 12 hours each day. I have limited each child to being in my care for a maximum of 10 hours a day, otherwise they pay a premium hourly rate of $5 for any time that goes beyond 10 hours a day.

My environment is structured yet flexible. The children have a routine of play-times, activities, meal times and rest periods. There are also times set aside for indoor and outdoor free-play. Because I focus on children from birth to age 5 my focus is on developmental activities such as fine and gross motor, social, and cognitive development etc. This means that for the most part the children are able to explore freely within the activities that are set up. This makes for a fun and relaxed environment.

For the most part the children are the best part of doing child care. Issues are usually minimal and for the most part expected in normal development and can usually be resolved with a little persistence, some patience and lots of consistency.

Major issues, if any, usually arise not because of the children themselves but are usually due to the breakdown of communication between the care giver and the parents. Many adults don’t understand that family child care providers (child care providers that offer child care in their homes) provide a service and are self-employed, meaning they are their own bosses. Many parents believe that because they are paying for childcare that the parents are in fact your boss, which is not the case. This mentality is very common and because of this there can be many issues between the client and the child care provider when it comes to following the providers policies and power-struggles can occur. Issues like these can create undo stress which can become a heavy emotional burden on a family child care provider which, in my opinion, is the most difficult part of this career.

Just like any other business venture the most difficult time period of a family childcare home is the first year or two from when it first opens. If a family child care home survives the first few years and provides a service that is in demand in their area then it is difficult not to succeed. Even in economic times such as the ones we are in now I am functioning at a comfortable capacity although I am not full. It is more difficult to operate at full child capacity as many families are still unemployed and many unemployed families have also opted to open their own family child care homes, however I am confident in my ability and the program that I offer and operate at an almost-full capacity.

The best part of my career is having the ability of working with children and watching them learn and grow. Their curiosity and hunger to learn is amazing and their happiness and spunk contagious and energizing. Operating a family child care home also gives me the opportunity to spend more time with my own children. My children get the opportunity to learn social skills as well and learn to coexist with other children of many ages, abilities, races and religions. Also I learn from the children just as much as they learn from me.

The only negatives are those that I have mentioned before. Although it may seem that a family child care home provider can make a large amount of money one must keep in mind and factor in that we must pay for everything out of pocket along with normal family financial obligations all at $3.20 an hour per child (based on my rate). It is a low-paying and frequently thankless job and in many cases even the parents of the children that we care for and grow to love do not appreciate everything that we do.

The positives outweigh the negatives and I enjoy my career very much. I have dabbled in many different jobs and areas and have always come back to childcare. I cannot imagine doing anything else that is this much fun or this satisfying.
nannyde 09:22 AM 11-03-2011
Ummm you guys rule...

Not Cat... but the rest of you guys.
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 11-03-2011
Ummm you guys rule...

Not Cat... but the rest of you guys.
Which cat? The herder or the black one?
laundrymom 09:32 AM 11-03-2011
ROFL!!! I think you both rock!!!
nannyde 09:34 AM 11-03-2011
Herder

(I'm secretly waiting for her to respond to is so I can quote her post and go "what she said" then I don't have to write it myself. Don't tell her that tho...
Blackcat31 09:39 AM 11-03-2011
Herder

(I'm secretly waiting for her to respond to is so I can quote her post and go "what she said" then I don't have to write it myself. Don't tell her that tho...
I'm good with secrets.
Blackcat31 09:40 AM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
ROFL!!! I think you both rock!!!

(at least 10 characters to post...sheesh!)
Country Kids 09:43 AM 11-03-2011
Thank you two for making me smile and laugh today! Its been awhile and it feels good!
Cat Herder 11:20 AM 11-03-2011
Herder

I swear I am working on it. I am up to my ears in decorations, neon green frosting and ill fitting diapers, today... Aggghhhh... I have 6 birthday parties to throw in 6 weeks....

Can't get away for more than 30 secs at a time.... The FED EX guy came during nap (have I mentioned he is an amateur magician who likes to "visit"? )..... it is just "one of THOSE days"....

Nan, you can see the photos in about 30 minutes on fb.... I am uploading a couple to the album here, too.
Cat Herder 01:01 PM 11-03-2011

Here, the minimum is TCC or CDA but a Degree in ECE is preferred. A State Orientation, Directors Training, Criminal Backgrounds test, ongoing annual training and quarterly unannounced visits are also required.

There are many States, however, that do not require any kind of training at all. I'd recommend researching your own States application process for specifics for your paper.

2. What is the starting salary, salary after 10 years, and salary after 20 years?

I started with tuition of $45 a week with 12 kids allowed, 1994 ($540). 10 years later I was charging $75 a week with 8 kids allowed, 2004 ($600). Now, 17 years later, I am charging $105 a week with 6 kids allowed, 2011 ($630). Do you see a trend?

The State keeps taking food from my family's hands by reducing the number of kids I can legally keep. They do this while requiring more and more supplies, services and education. Those are not free.

The area you live in sets the rate you can charge and still get clients, regardless of experience or education. Unfortunately, I am seeing people going back to 2004 rates in my area, currently.

Again, I'd recommend checking out your States website for their yearly report on average tuition. Take that number and multiply it by the maximum number of kids a provider is allowed to have. That will give you your general "ceiling".

Remember that payroll, supplies, mortgage, utilities, taxes, insurance, retirement etc. come OUT of that "ceiling".

I have a Roth IRA.

There are private insurance plans out there, but for most home providers it just is not financially possible. The premiums would be 1/3 of my income the last time I checked.

I am fortunate that I get mine through my husbands employer.

I work about 12 hours a day on average. It is loud, fast paced, requires constant movement, adaptation, physical lifting, bending, stooping, kneeling, non-stop cleaning, atrocious odors, exposure to illness, and you MUST smile through it all. And that is just the kids.

Dealing with parents is something out of a Stephen King novel some days. Even though I am available 50 hours a week I am expected to also make time for them "at their convenience" to conference. It can be very stressful if you don't develop a backbone QUICKLY.

Inspectors. In the middle of your work day, in your own home, a stranger comes in and disrupts your life, for hours, up to 6 times a year. They go through your bathroom, bedrooms, sheds, drawers and cabinets. It is degrading, exhausting and stressful. You never know when they are coming so you live your life in a "ready" state. It is mentally draining and makes me feel violated (not to mention my teens whose rooms are also invaded ).

See above.

I am one of the fortunate ones that has had a wait list for as long as I can remember.

My "JOB" would be awesome if outside forces would just let me do it.

It is all the extra stuff being dumped on me that is wearing me out. Assessing and documenting for developmental delays, having home health giving immunizations in my home while I have to hold the kids down, keeping portfolios of all their art work, etc. etc. etc.... These things were never part of my "JOB" before.

The sickest part of all of this is I love my job.

I miss the kids when I am on vacation. I look forward to buying art supples. I get excited when new toys arrive because I get to see their faces light up. I bawl like a baby when a parent brings me a Thank you gift out of the blue. I walk on air for weeks when I get a perfect inspection.

This job is the ONLY job that will allow me to earn an income, while being the wife and mother I set out to be. I love my life.
Tags:daycare - experience, daycare blues, daycare business, regulations, start a daycare business
Reply Up