Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When It Rains..It Pours
Provider_Manda 10:55 AM 08-30-2013
So I had asked for advice earlier in the week about terminating a family. Well I did it, and so far no issue's with that so very thankful for that. But that was $300 out the door..well I get a phone call today from a family I truly love that dcm is pretty sure she will quit school, and have to pull dcg out. So that takes me from $500 a week to $80 !!! I am so upset, not to mention this is my ds best dc friend. I have been advertising for a few weeks and NOTHING has come from it.

Any idea's on how not to get discouraged and some of the best ways to advertise ??
MsLaura529 11:01 AM 08-30-2013
Ahh! That sounds very frustrating!

I have had good luck advertising on some local facebook mom to mom sites (like swap and/or selling and buying groups). I also got some families from craigslist.

Good luck! It seems to be starting to get a little busier this time of year, at least aound here. Hang in there
butterfly 11:02 AM 08-30-2013
flyers at the school she's quitting? flyers at the library, laundromat, anywhere really.... Praying things pick up soon.
Provider_Manda 11:05 AM 08-30-2013
Thanks girls, this is the lowest I have ever been since I started 2 years ago. I just hate it is all happening in the same week!!

I like the flyer idea, I will have to make some up..Thanks
CedarCreek 11:16 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
Thanks girls, this is the lowest I have ever been since I started 2 years ago. I just hate it is all happening in the same week!!

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm sorry you're dealing with this

I am printing up flyers and I have ordered a couple of lawn signs from Vistaprint to put around town. I keep posting on Craigslist but I am getting nothing. I will keep trying though. I have also offered my existing families $50 off for a referral that enrolls and I am offering 1 week of free care to new families. (After the first 2 weeks of enrollment though)
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 08-30-2013
Have you considered doing an open house?

A provider friend of mine does an open house every year where she has a ton of food, games for the kids and all sorts of activities, sort of like a mini-carnival. She puts flyers up all over town, the hospital/clinic, Head Start, college, grocery stores etc. advertising her open house.

She gets new clients all the time that way.

She also starts does special discounts for military families (he DH served so she pays it forward). She gets ALOT of military families that way too.

Other ways to make your name known is to volunteer at Early Childhood events/classes in your town. Put on a Story Hour at your local library on a Saturday afternoon, volunteer to help out at a WIC clinic or a preschool screening...ANYWHERE families with young kids go.....

Network with EVERYONE! Give current families a referral bonus, offer a discount for enrolling....etc...

Sending good thoughts/wishes for LOTS of phone calls to come your way!
Cradle2crayons 11:25 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:

I live very very rural but we have a few mom and pop shops that locals very loyally support. I have a waiting list and have always had it full.

Simply by putting up a flyer with the detachable phone number strips at the bottom and putting them up at the local mom and pops.
also, flyers at apartment complexes that have the bulletin boards where e mailboxes are?
butterfly 11:42 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I'm in the same boat right now. I'm sorry you're dealing with this

I am printing up flyers and I have ordered a couple of lawn signs from Vistaprint to put around town. I keep posting on Craigslist but I am getting nothing. I will keep trying though. I have also offered my existing families $50 off for a referral that enrolls and I am offering 1 week of free care to new families. (After the first 2 weeks of enrollment though)
I like the lawn sign idea. I would just suggest to all that use them, ask the owner of the property before you put them up. You think that would be common courtsey, but one day I went outside and I had a sign in my yard advertising for ANOTHER person's daycare! I immediately took it down and threw it away. When I went to get groceries I saw the same signs in yards near all the schools. (I live by an elementary school.) It was smart thinking on that daycare provider's part to place their signs near schools, but there's no way I'm going to advertise for another competitor without them talking to me about it first. I am all about helping others and even referring to others if I can, but sheesh... !!!
AcornMama 11:49 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
also, flyers at apartment complexes that have the bulletin boards where e mailboxes are?
I was out taking flyers to local businesses this week, and was on my way to one when I drove past the only apartment complex in our town. I don't know why I hadn't thought of them, so I pulled in real quick and asked at the leasing office if they had a community bulletin board where I could post a flyer. They didn't, but the manager told me she'd post a flyer in her office as well as put a flyer in every folder of information they give to new/prospective tenants. I gave her all the flyers I had left and she asked for more! So I printed some more and took them by. Now everyone who visits that complex will be handed information about my preschool.

Here's hoping there's lots of families with preschoolers moving in!
countrymom 11:51 AM 08-30-2013
I have a lawn sign, dh built it. Do you know what all the people who call here say, they tell me that because I have a sign and its been here for a long time, they know that i'm serious. They comment that I'm well established in the community.

I don't advertise anywhere else. Just my sign and it does wonders.
Cradle2crayons 11:59 AM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I was out taking flyers to local businesses this week, and was on my way to one when I drove past the only apartment complex in our town. I don't know why I hadn't thought of them, so I pulled in real quick and asked at the leasing office if they had a community bulletin board where I could post a flyer. They didn't, but the manager told me she'd post a flyer in her office as well as put a flyer in every folder of information they give to new/prospective tenants. I gave her all the flyers I had left and she asked for more! So I printed some more and took them by. Now everyone who visits that complex will be handed information about my preschool.

Here's hoping there's lots of families with preschoolers moving in!
Awesome !! So many apartment managers etc wouldn't do that. But that's awesome advertisement !!
Cradle2crayons 12:01 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Have you considered doing an open house?

A provider friend of mine does an open house every year where she has a ton of food, games for the kids and all sorts of activities, sort of like a mini-carnival. She puts flyers up all over town, the hospital/clinic, Head Start, college, grocery stores etc. advertising her open house.

She gets new clients all the time that way.

She also starts does special discounts for military families (he DH served so she pays it forward). She gets ALOT of military families that way too.

Other ways to make your name known is to volunteer at Early Childhood events/classes in your town. Put on a Story Hour at your local library on a Saturday afternoon, volunteer to help out at a WIC clinic or a preschool screening...ANYWHERE families with young kids go.....

Network with EVERYONE! Give current families a referral bonus, offer a discount for enrolling....etc...

Sending good thoughts/wishes for LOTS of phone calls to come your way!
Lots of awesome ideas!!!
Jack Sprat 12:02 PM 08-30-2013
I have advertised on FB and at our grocery store, gas station, bank etc. I ordered postcards from Vista Print and use those to hang up. Also, we have a HUGE sandbox/playground so people see all the kids running around and know we are a daycare. I also had a huge drop. Went from $400 to $110 a week. I could cry. But, I have two families coming to look around Tuesday so like with any business I guess we ride the waves! Good luck things will pick up!

Oh! A website is helpful too! I put a link to my site on all my advertising. People seem to love websites!
Laurel 12:27 PM 08-30-2013
We are not allowed to have business signs on residential property so check laws first.
cheerfuldom 01:12 PM 08-30-2013
I hired some teens (that work cheap) to pass out flyers in my neighborhood....leaving them in the doors, not the mailbox! got me several kids over the years. some childrens stores (like second hand stores usually) will allow a flyer put up or business cards left. some other kids places will do that too....gymnastics and such. The kids may be older than your program allows but many of them have little siblings
MyAngels 01:22 PM 08-30-2013
Click on the tag at the bottom left of the thread and it'll take you to other threads with even more great ideas .
Maria2013 01:27 PM 08-30-2013
I'm reading some great advises in here so good luck to you, hope things pick up soon and get you better off than before
momofboys 02:02 PM 08-30-2013
I'm sorry - I hope your business picks up - keeping fingers & toes crossed for you!
Provider_Manda 04:04 PM 08-30-2013
Thanks everyone for all the love

I have updated our local COAD (they help with finding parents child care) and I've posted on several sites on FB. Also done a craigslist ad, and hung a yard sign on the mail box. So hopefully things will look up soon!! It's just bad when it all goes down in the same week.
Mister Sir Husband 06:58 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have a lawn sign, dh built it. Do you know what all the people who call here say, they tell me that because I have a sign and its been here for a long time, they know that i'm serious. They comment that I'm well established in the community.

I don't advertise anywhere else. Just my sign and it does wonders.
I ordered business cards and lettehead etc.. and a nice 7 foot banner. Is going at end of driveway when I open. I kinda have to put something out there as my house sits 250 feet off the road. Most people who drive by prolly don't even know I'm back here.
Cradle2crayons 08:49 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Mister Sir Husband:
I ordered business cards and lettehead etc.. and a nice 7 foot banner. Is going at end of driveway when I open. I kinda have to put something out there as my house sits 250 feet off the road. Most people who drive by prolly don't even know I'm back here.
I know the feeling!!!!

We live in the woods and our driveway is just wide enough for our camper to fit.. But it turns into the woods and even people that have grown up here their whole lives don't know where we live. This house was built in 2009. And they put it 200 yards into the woods and at the house end of the dirt drive is a 65 degree incline. It's not fun after a bad rain lol.

But I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. No neighbors. Private.
Sunchimes 05:47 AM 08-31-2013
Just don't dress up as a witch (as you've done for the last 15 or so years) for Halloween and put up a sign next to the steps saying you have an opening in your day care. No one takes it seriously. Don't ask how I know.

This year, I'm ditching the witch and trying out Cat in the Hat!
Familycare71 06:01 AM 08-31-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
Just don't dress up as a witch (as you've done for the last 15 or so years) for Halloween and put up a sign next to the steps saying you have an opening in your day care. No one takes it seriously. Don't ask how I know.

This year, I'm ditching the witch and trying out Cat in the Hat!

Tags:advertising
Reply Up