Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Ten Year Plus Veterans.... Can I Ask?
nannyde 01:24 PM 06-27-2014
For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.

Now the same question of the last five-years.

Now the same questions of the last year.

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?
Annalee 01:31 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?
Been in business 22 years.....the first 10 years went awesome! kids follow directions, do as told and respected the consequences of their behavior as did the parents of these kids by offering full support to my assistant and I. The last 10 years, it has gradually turned into something totally opposite....while I still have control, it takes much more effort and sometimes more than I want to give.
nannyde 01:36 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Been in business 22 years.....the first 10 years went awesome! kids follow directions, do as told and respected the consequences of their behavior as did the parents of these kids by offering full support to my assistant and I. The last 10 years, it has gradually turned into something totally opposite....while I still have control, it takes much more effort and sometimes more than I want to give.
Can you estimate percentages please? I am wanting input for an article I'm working on.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 06-27-2014
I've been in business for 10 years.
First 5 years I would say 90%,the past few years I would guess around 50%.It's hard to say because I technically have 100% well behaved children with great parents but it takes me a lot longer to interview.I've taken kids in the past year that I would have never taken in 10 years ago,they are getting harder to find.
nannyde 01:53 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been in business for 10 years.
First 5 years I would say 90%,the past few years I would guess around 50%.It's hard to say because I technically have 100% well behaved children with great parents but it takes me a lot longer to interview.I've taken kids in the past year that I would have never taken in 10 years ago,they are getting harder to find.
Thank you
Annalee 02:01 PM 06-27-2014

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well? 40% comes naturally with the qualities you listed, but the other kids take work, some more work than others

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.the whole 40%

Now the same question of the last five-years. 20% come with the qualities you listed because the parents have the same qualities, expectations

Now the same questions of the last year. still 20 % in my opinion

I don't think I have had any parents that I would consider to be top quality with kids that acted badly consistently
Angelsj 02:04 PM 06-27-2014

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well? I am going to say about 18%. Out of a group of around 40 kids in that time period, I would say 7 came to me that way. Now, if I have a child for more than a year, that goes up quickly. Of those 40, I would say 30 LEFT my care being all those things.

Of those 7, 5 fit this category. The other two, the mom talks about those things, but honestly does not accomplish them.

All of this has been in the last five years. Prior to that I had some pretty low income, difficult kids, mostly due to area and my own choices of providing care.

My kids have been quite stable over the last year, so no changes really. (Added three I spoke of above, and a baby sibling.)

Early in my career (30 plus years ago) I often had pretty rough parents, and kids who either were golden children because of it, or had horrific behavior issues. More recently, I have one set of pretty darn good parents (and one set of amazing parents) who have children with behavior issues. I think both sets of kids will eventually be ok, but only because their parents are so willing to work with me, their doctor, and behavioral therapists to ensure the best possible outcome for their kids. So, two kids of the 40 fit your category, a sad 0.5%.
Answers in blue above
permanentvacation 02:06 PM 06-27-2014
I don't know percentages, but what I do know is that I have been a licensed home daycare provider for 25 years and every daycare provider I know has made comments that as each year goes by, the parents and kids get worse and worse. The kids are not as educated at home and are less able to retain the information we are teaching them at daycare. The children's attitudes, behavior, mannerisms, etc. are worse and worse each year. The parents become less and less interested in spending time with their children at home and less and less interested in their child's activities at daycare each year.
daycare 02:11 PM 06-27-2014
going on year 12

I am going to try to answer the best I can understand.

In the start I would say about 85%, that lasted for about 3 years, it dropped after year 3 and has continued to drop which I would say now is about 35- 40%

12 years ago, again about 85%

Now the same question of the last five-years. %60

Now the same questions of the last year. 35%

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids? 5%
Heidi 02:18 PM 06-27-2014

I may throw your numbers off slightly, because I took a long break. Did dc 10 years, out for 10 years, back in for 3. In the first 10 years, I only ever termed 2 children due to behavior issues out of probably 50. One was a 3 year old and one was a 4 month old, so that was not so much behavior as not ready for group care (wouldn't take a bottle, screamed 95 % of the day)

100% would have claimed they did I'd say 95% did. Those 2 I termed would be 1 who tried (the 3 yo), and one who just didn't "get" it. Sweet family, but very AP and that created a group-care issue

12 children so far, 5 termed for child's behavior. 4 from the same family at once. So, roughly 40% didn't make it.

1/5 in the group termed for aggression and general malaise' lol

none-the last one really tried though. Heart in the right place, but lots of crud in the diet and not enough follow-through (like making kiddo stay in bed or carseat).
Blackcat31 02:20 PM 06-27-2014
Ok, I'm going to give this a shot.

It's Friday BEFORE a vacation, I do not have many brain cells left and I totally suck at math; specifically percentages... LOL!

I'd have to say atleast 75% of the kids I've had in the last 10 years are most of those things.

Out of that 75%, I believe that 90% of those kids' parents were/are great parents that really care about their child's health and well being and had good parenting at home.

In the last 5 years, I'd say that 90% of my kids are well behaved, good eaters and good sleepers and overall very good kids.

Still 90%. There is always going to be a bit of gray.

Honestly...I think that would be less than 5%.
Only 5% of the kids with great parents were tough or hard to manage children.

There is a DIRECT correlation between quality parenting and well behaved children.

The answers would vary GREATLY had you asked about the FIRST 10 years I was in this business but the percentages NOW verses then is not due to parental changes (societal or personal) but more about how I interview and who I accept into care.

I am much more picky now and I will easily pass on a parent/family/child that I feel does not share the same parenting and discipline philosophies as I do.

THAT ^^^ makes those percentages shift alot.

HTH

If not, just call me if you need further explanation....
nanglgrl 02:26 PM 06-27-2014

i would say about 60% are great right away, another 10% took a couple of weeks with me to change their ways.
Crazily enough I haven't seen a correlation for the most part. Out of the 60% that started off here as great kids I'd say only about 30% had parents that were doing their job. These kids were well mannered quiet, ate healthy food here even though they didn't at home, did as told but also had no imagination, no idea how to play, were often left at daycare as much as possible and it was often apparent that the child spent a good deal of time at home in front of the television.

My answer is probably going to be different than others. In the last 5 years the children I've accepted have actually been better behaved and had good parents but only because I raised my rates, set up a good program and stopped accepting families just to fill a spot. Now I make sure the family is a good fit. I'd rather be broke than have people come into my home daily that I don't like.

see above

Of the kids I've had with top quality parents I'd have to say all of the children were also as awesome. I think their involvement and good parenting has made for good children. The majority of those children were also bright and inventive, and what I would consider smart for their age. As for the children with bad parents that still behaved well I'd say only a small percentage of them (maybe 1%) are what I would consider smart and the majority of them I would consider to be behind on their skills. I don't mean ABC smart and I don't know how to explain what I do mean. Lol. They don't know how to play and often have an empty look. They often just do what the other kids tell them to. They are behind on personal skills such as putting shoes on etc. they can't follow simple directions not because of naughtiness but because they really just can't understand.
Annalee 02:31 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, I'm going to give this a shot.

It's Friday BEFORE a vacation, I do not have many brain cells left and I totally suck at math; specifically percentages... LOL!

I'd have to say atleast 75% of the kids I've had in the last 10 years are most of those things.

Out of that 75%, I believe that 90% of those kids' parents were/are great parents that really care about their child's health and well being and had good parenting at home.

In the last 5 years, I'd say that 90% of my kids are well behaved, good eaters and good sleepers and overall very good kids.

Still 90%. There is always going to be a bit of gray.

Honestly...I think that would be less than 5%.
Only 5% of the kids with great parents were tough or hard to manage children.

There is a DIRECT correlation between quality parenting and well behaved children.

The answers would vary GREATLY had you asked about the FIRST 10 years I was in this business but the percentages NOW verses then is not due to parental changes (societal or personal) but more about how I interview and who I accept into care.

I am much more picky now and I will easily pass on a parent/family/child that I feel does not share the same parenting and discipline philosophies as I do.

THAT ^^^ makes those percentages shift alot.

HTH

If not, just call me if you need further explanation....
The bolded comment is so true but not always that easy depending on the area you live in and the availability of clients....Environmental changes in the home are the difference maker I think in the home today!
daycare 02:57 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The bolded comment is so true but not always that easy depending on the area you live in and the availability of clients....Environmental changes in the home are the difference maker I think in the home today!
much more wiser now too and can say the same thing.......Oh and thanks to all you lovely ladies after 12 years I finally have a backbone..............
Sugar Magnolia 03:08 PM 06-27-2014
[quote=nannyde;474141]For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion

85 percent

90 percent

Same

Same

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?[

5 percent

/QUOTE]

Even though you said"IN HOME"., I went ahead and answered anyways.

ETA oops, I tried to make my answers red but it didn't take!

Also, just wanted to add, I feel like my percentages didn't change too much over time because I think I got better at finding families that were a good fit.
Josiegirl 04:10 PM 06-27-2014

Best estimate around 30%(seems like it's a lot to ask of kids these days)

I believe they all(mostly all) had their best interests at heart and meant well with the way they disciplined, etc. While I don't agree with a lot of different things they did, I'd have to say maybe 70% were trying their very best

Now the same question of the last five-years. Same

Now the same questions of the last year. Same

20% I had 1 dcf, perfect older sister but younger brother was a biter, didn't listen, rules didn't apply to him, absolutely strong-willed all the way. 2 completely opposite kids from same family and I don't suspect they were brought up all that differently. Wonderful parents and I still think very highly of them.

Not that you asked this but I want to offer my opinion anyways. I think so many parents believe to be a good parent these days they need to offer a zillion choices to their kids to the point where the kids are getting to call too many of the shots. Their kids run the whole family's lives so try to run everybody else's too.

ETA: 32 years of in-home daycare
Angelsj 04:15 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by :
This exactly. I used to take a lot of problem children; kids who had been kicked out of other day cares for behavior issues. Special needs kids, military kids (not that these are bad parents, but stressed often) and living in a very low income area (by design) and providing low cost care to area families, with supplementation from churches and community outreach.

Today, I am pickier with WHAT special needs I take, and I am very careful when I interview a family.
Annalee 05:03 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
This exactly. I used to take a lot of problem children; kids who had been kicked out of other day cares for behavior issues. Special needs kids, military kids (not that these are bad parents, but stressed often) and living in a very low income area (by design) and providing low cost care to area families, with supplementation from churches and community outreach.

Today, I am pickier with WHAT special needs I take, and I am very careful when I interview a family.
I agree totally, with this as well, and my daycare kids act well while in my care, BUT they are high-maintenance when I get them due to their parents being high-maintenance....It is like daylight and dark with the difference from daycare to home....For example, a child that is now 2 I got when she was 6 weeks and honestly, when they brought her in she was asleep in the car seat and had pillows/blankets/ around her and told me NOT to make noise or move her..two years later they still do not even run tv when she sleeps???? Another example, a child whom is now 4 in my care came to me at the age of 1 and she expected me to send daily text during every activity of her special **** in pics....????? It is the parents that I see changing....I run my routine for me and it works once the child realizes there are rules/expectations in my program.
Childminder 07:49 PM 06-27-2014
Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well? 75%

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids. 80%

Now the same question of the last five-years. 70%

Now the same questions of the last year. 70%

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids? 5%
nannyde 08:03 PM 06-27-2014
Awww thanks ladies. Any more?
KiddieCahoots 12:23 PM 06-28-2014

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?50%

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids. 40%

Now the same question of the last five-years. 20%

Now the same questions of the last year. 20%

0%. I found that my parents that were top quality, and well behaved had children that were top quality, and well behaved. I have on occasion had a child that was fantastic, with a poor family background, but never top quality parents and kids with poor behavior.

Talk about a trip down memory lane! Lol!
AmyKidsCo 01:51 PM 06-30-2014
I've been in FCC almost 20 years... I can't begin to estimate percentages, but it's gone up and down depending on my situation. I started out in graduate school in St. Louis where it was all "up" then moved to MI where it was mostly "up" (only problem was 1 family on assistance). Most of my time has been here in WI and it started lower and moved up - lower when I had more low income/assistance families and higher since I stopped taking assistance. Like Blackcat said, I'm pickier about who I enroll now than I used to be.
Laurel 02:32 PM 06-30-2014

90%

90%

same

95%

None, as it seems like the few true behavior problems I had were from families where the parents were lacking. In some they were doing their best but they were just misguided. I never had a child that I felt was neglected or not cared for by their parents.

Laurel
Cat Herder 07:18 AM 07-01-2014
1a. Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?

Last 10 = 40% (I am assuming you mean upon enrollment.)

(*first 10 = 80% )

1b. Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? ( Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.)

Last 10 = 100% (allowing for parent/guardian, not just parent, as several are with grandparents the bulk of the parenting time)

(first 10 = 100%)

2a. Now the same question of the last five-years.

Last 5 = 20%

2b. Last 5 = 100%

3a. Now the same questions of the last year.

This year = 0%

3b. This year = 0%

4. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?

0% and this includes my special needs kids. (allowing for developmentally appropriate issues)

*** What I am currently experiencing seems to be an extreme pendulum swing from the perceived Government interference with parenting, education and childcare. I have parents demanding I serve majority junk foods and not do curriculum with their children for the very first time in my career. I have perspective clients who ask if I am licensed and tell me they are not interested in a "State" program. I am baffled and trying to hang on as long as I can.... It is illegal to provide childcare for more than 2 kids without being licensed here. IDK. Hope this trend ends quickly. Spite parenting? Is this a new thing???
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

*** What I am currently experiencing seems to be an extreme pendulum swing from the perceived Government interference with parenting, education and childcare. I have parents demanding I serve majority junk foods and not do curriculum with their children for the very first time in my career. I have perspective clients who ask if I am licensed and tell me they are not interested in a "State" program. I am baffled and trying to hang on as long as I can.... It is illegal to provide childcare for more than 2 kids without being licensed here. IDK. Hope this trend ends quickly. Spite parenting? Is this a new thing???
I am betting it's because a majority of these parents have heard the spiel "Licensing does not allow me to _______." therefore I (the provider) cannot accommodate your needs/requests/instructions etc so to get around being denied their right to TV, i-pads, video games and crappy foods, parents are seeking out non-licensed or non-regulated care.

That way THEY (parents) can dictate everything from activities, food and costs.
My3cents 10:53 AM 07-01-2014

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well? I am not good with percents so I will just answer in general....most of my kids have been good or after a while with me transition into better then when they started with me.

Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids. I would say most parents do the best that they can with what they have and it depends on many factors. It might be because I don't want to work with the loonies- way out there parents. I don't always agree with others parenting styles but have to take a step back and tell myself this is how the parent is deciding to raise their own kid, not the way I would but that is ok- at my house we go by my rules.

Now the same question of the last five-years.the last five years there is no doubt that cell phones and being hooked to the internet and www has had influence on how parents parent. Many of them use the Tv, computer, games as sitters for the kids. I have good parents that spend time with the kids but no doubt is that time managed differently in the last five years as technology has been more assessable to everyone. It is just where our world has moved too. I say you keep up and move with it or you get left behind and are doing catch up like a crazy person. Change is hard for all-

Now the same questions of the last year. I lumped my answer in with the five year response

for sure..... but it varies and depends on so many variables. I have top notch parents. I find saying the word NO to the kids has become more of a taboo in todays world. Parents are afraid to do this, they want instant gratification and not to have to deal with little wonderful having a screaming fit or hurt feelings or being let down. I do feel this will change as more people figure out its not realistic and sets up little wonderful to be disillusioned,defunct etc... I find instant gratification has taken away true "hard workers" and allowed a society of lazy people that have little self worth-

This is just my 3cents.....I understand 97 other cents out there to listen too.....ha ha and I do listen, maybe I don't agree but I listen.

It will be interesting to see what you do with all of this Nan, hope you will share. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help % wise
Cat Herder 11:16 AM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am betting it's because a majority of these parents have heard the spiel "Licensing does not allow me to _______." therefore I (the provider) cannot accommodate your needs/requests/instructions etc so to get around being denied their right to TV, i-pads, video games and crappy foods, parents are seeking out non-licensed or non-regulated care.

That way THEY (parents) can dictate everything from activities, food and costs.
I'd believe that in full confidence if it was only the parents of the older toddlers or sibling groups. Especially if they had been through multiple providers.

My concern of a trend is because I am getting this from my newborn/first child interviews as well. (remember, I *usually* only enroll newborns) It is simply odd, IMHO.

***I do know early voting has started and many are still riled up from the ballots back in May...**
dalman 01:32 PM 07-01-2014

The last ten years would be about 90%. The last five years would be about 50%. And the last year would be about 30%.
Out of those children in the 90% category, 100% of those parents were doing a terrific job. The last five years and past year it would say that 100% of the parents in the corresponding percentages were doing a great job.

. i would say that poor parenting is a direct correlation to poor behavior in children. After being a licensed daycare provider for almost thirty years, I feel I am parenting the parents as much as I am parenting the children. I don't know what went wrong with this generation, but there certainly seems to be a steady decline in parenting skills. And I am picky for the most part about who joins our daycare family. We all seem to share the same beliefs and core values, but they seem to be at a loss when it comes to parenting.
Angelsj 02:18 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by dalman:
. i would say that poor parenting is a direct correlation to poor behavior in children. After being a licensed daycare provider for almost thirty years, I feel I am parenting the parents as much as I am parenting the children. I don't know what went wrong with this generation, but there certainly seems to be a steady decline in parenting skills. And I am picky for the most part about who joins our daycare family. We all seem to share the same beliefs and core values, but they seem to be at a loss when it comes to parenting.
Ok, while I get that poor parenting can contribute to poor behavior in children, I am a little offended at this. I am an excellent parent. I have a Cdev degree and I have been doing this for over 30 years.
My kids are pretty good kids, but four of them are somewhere on the spectrum. Between birth-6 and again between 13-17 two of them were incredibly difficult behavior wise. To the point that most people would assume they were "poorly parented."
Exactly the opposite is true. They had to be parented differently in order to be successful, but I did what I had to do to bring them up with values and an understanding of others, despite the huge struggle to do so. (And I am still working on my 14 yo)
I have also had kids who were VERY poorly parented who were golden children; smart, funny, well behaved and had wonderful manners.
I currently have two that have some behavior issues, whose parents are pretty good (certainly not terrible) and working on it. They didn't do anything wrong; these kids are just tough cookies.
nannyde 04:04 PM 07-01-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd believe that in full confidence if it was only the parents of the older toddlers or sibling groups. Especially if they had been through multiple providers.

My concern of a trend is because I am getting this from my newborn/first child interviews as well. (remember, I *usually* only enroll newborns) It is simply odd, IMHO.

***I do know early voting has started and many are still riled up from the ballots back in May...**
Ahh how I love seeing this username B-)
Tags:great children, nannyde, questionaire
Reply Up