Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent-I Was Told I Couldn't Take A Day Off...
Country Kids 07:33 AM 10-14-2012
by someone who doesn't have kids (or at least little ones)!!!!!!

I was planning on taking a day to go on a field trip with one of my kiddo's and was telling a relative about it. Their first response was "You can't take a day off for that, what about those children you watch?". What would the parents do?

I explained that I have time built in and why can't I take a day off. I asked if I'm to never be allowed time off. The response-well not for stuff like that, you had all summer with them! So I'm just curious what I could take a day for.

By this time I was getting very mad but trying to be respectful. Explaining that the parents do this all the time so why can't I. Alot of time they take a day off and leave their child with me!

I'm still very, very upset by this and don't want to bring it up again with this person but to hear I don't deserve a day off just makes me mad!!!!
Angelsj 07:46 AM 10-14-2012
I really try not to let ignorant people bother me.
"You can't teach your kids at home!!!"
"You can't home school AND run a daycare."
And my personal favorite, "You need to stop having kids, you already have more than you can handle." Etc, etc.
Always by people who have never done the things I do, so how would they know what it is like, what I can or can't do, or what I deserve, or what I can handle?
I have never asked anyone for money, my kids eat every meal and dress well, all eight of them. And four of them are currently in good colleges, getting excellent grades!!
Those people are just nosy busybodies. Ignore them. Take your days off and enjoy!! I can't find the 'hugs' smiley, so {hugs}
Country Kids 07:54 AM 10-14-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I really try not to let ignorant people bother me.
"You can't teach your kids at home!!!"
"You can't home school AND run a daycare."
And my personal favorite, "You need to stop having kids, you already have more than you can handle." Etc, etc.
Always by people who have never done the things I do, so how would they know what it is like, what I can or can't do, or what I deserve, or what I can handle?
I have never asked anyone for money, my kids eat every meal and dress well, all eight of them. And four of them are currently in good colleges, getting excellent grades!!
Those people are just nosy busybodies. Ignore them. Take your days off and enjoy!! I can't find the 'hugs' smiley, so {hugs}
Well this is someone who use to do childcare. Yes, it was awhile ago but still did it so I can't really say they haven't done this.

It just bugged me because this person knows how many hours a week I work, what the kids are like and how generally busy I am. No, it wasn't my hubs as he would never think that I didn't need a day off.

Thanks for the support!!!!
providerandmomof4 08:07 AM 10-14-2012
You should be able to take a day off. As long as you give notice, I don't think that dcp need to know why...it's not their business. Just like I don't think it's my business to know if and when they take a day off.
Nellie 08:19 AM 10-14-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

I was planning on taking a day to go on a field trip with one of my kiddo's and was telling a relative about it. Their first response was "You can't take a day off for that, what about those children you watch?". What would the parents do?

I explained that I have time built in and why can't I take a day off. I asked if I'm to never be allowed time off. The response-well not for stuff like that, you had all summer with them! So I'm just curious what I could take a day for.

By this time I was getting very mad but trying to be respectful. Explaining that the parents do this all the time so why can't I. Alot of time they take a day off and leave their child with me!

I'm still very, very upset by this and don't want to bring it up again with this person but to hear I don't deserve a day off just makes me mad!!!!

In the last 4 years I have probable taken 3 days off per year. I have gotten a couple extra days off due to all families taking off before a holiday or whatever. I have gotten a sub for every appointment ect. It was yesterday that I desided no more. I am taking the day before and after Thanksgiving off. And am thinking that I'll be taking a week of during Christmas. I have it built into my contract, but never have hardly used a vacation day. The families I have now are all over the place with their schedules. Every one use to be awesome with getting them to me a month or so in advance and now I'm lucky if I get it Friday for the fallowing Monday(I've gotten them as late as 8pm on Sunday night). I don't charge when kids don't show up so I feel that I'm not going to work on scheduling stuff around them. I wouldn't worry about it. You deserve it as much as they deserve to take there 2 to 4 weeks of vacation per year too.
Kaddidle Care 08:24 AM 10-14-2012

She's JEALOUS!!!! She's thinking to herself - "Dang! I never did that for myself!"

Don't let it rattle ya hon!

I always say that Life is full of choices. She chose to be a slave to her work. You choose to enjoy your life.
Alice Of Legend 08:48 AM 10-14-2012
Well this is someone who use to do childcare. Yes, it was awhile ago but still did it so I can't really say they haven't done this.

It just bugged me because this person knows how many hours a week I work, what the kids are like and how generally busy I am. No, it wasn't my hubs as he would never think that I didn't need a day off.
This person used to do childcare and still said this to you? Wow! no wonder they don't do it anymore!

You can take days off whenever you want and for whatever reason you want! personally I think that a field trip with your child is a great reason to take a day off!
melissa ann 11:53 AM 10-14-2012
I took off to go on a field trip with my kids. As soon as I knew when it was, I gave notice to my families. I told them why, also. If I worked outside the house, I still would have taken off to go with my kids.
momofboys 04:14 PM 10-14-2012
Totally okay & I do it on ocassion also. the other person as another poster said was just jealous IMO. I see nothing wrong with it - enjoy the time with your kid/s!
daymommy 01:08 PM 10-16-2012
Taking off to go on a field trip with your child is one of the best reasons I can think of to take a day off!!! Being able to decide what days we take off is one of the perks of this job in my opinion. As long as it is something scheduled to give your families notice you get to decide what is a good reason for a day off, there's no boss who has to approve it, you decide. For me I have in my contract how many paid days off I can take each year, all the families sign and agree to it, so as long as I'm giving them the required notice why should they care what I'm doing.
I wouldn't let it bother you...taking a day off to spend with your child on a field trip....I think that would be pretty high up on my priority list too!
DaisyMamma 07:38 AM 10-17-2012
You can do whatever you want. Your business. Your rules. If your dcf decide they don't like it, that's their problem. I can't think of a better reason to take a day off, good for you!
My3cents 10:21 AM 10-17-2012

Why would you let this bother you?

Your the owner of your business. What you do is your business. You don't need anyone else's approval. A person that talked to me like that does not know what I do all day or how I run my program. I would not talk about my childcare with this person again. I don't need that type of feadback. I would never explain myself either.

I personally would not take a day off for a field trip. I do feel I am being paid for a service. but....... I would hire someone to come in and take my place if I wanted to go really bad and eat the cost for that day.

Don't let someone else do that to you- Now if you feel their is some truth in what she is saying, well maybe take a look at it and go from there.

Best-
Country Kids 01:29 PM 10-17-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Why would you let this bother you?

Your the owner of your business. What you do is your business. You don't need anyone else's approval. A person that talked to me like that does not know what I do all day or how I run my program. I would not talk about my childcare with this person again. I don't need that type of feadback. I would never explain myself either.

I personally would not take a day off for a field trip. I do feel I am being paid for a service. but....... I would hire someone to come in and take my place if I wanted to go really bad and eat the cost for that day.

Don't let someone else do that to you- Now if you feel their is some truth in what she is saying, well maybe take a look at it and go from there.

Best-
Why did it bother me-because this person kept arguing with me on why I shouldn't take the day off. Pretty much telling me that I need to work, not take time off, and I need to put this job first in my life. Thats why it bothered me. By the way the child I want to go on the field trip was standing right there and heard pretty much how the daycare kids should come before them. Real nice-

Its funny how childcare providers don't or aren't expected to have anytime off. We are to always be available for the families. I have a friend who has done this 25 years, takes one week off a year-no more, and even brought home a child from the hospital after having her baby because the mom didn't have backup. Never went to things for the kids from what I understand. I can't do that nor would want to.

I was planning on trying to get a sub but this person would have even argued with me on that. I value my children and they aren't home during the day anymore for me to be home for them. I really get tired of telling them no to so much because we have the childcare. I love my job but I can't let it replace my family. I work long hours and tell my kids constantly I have to do something for the childcare it seems. So if I want to take the day and spend it one on one with a child-I have the right to do that.

No there is no truth in what was said. I don't understand why anyone would tell someone the shouldn't take a day off to spend with a child. Its funny-my kids can never tell me anything specific from what they have learned on a particular day in school but they can tell me exactly what we did on each field trip-thats whats important to me.
Reply Up