Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas
BentleysBands 09:55 AM 11-10-2010
whats your opinion on this?

i have several kids/ part timers and of course parents...i was thinking instead of buying each and every one something i was gonna just buy a few things (toys,crafts, outside toy) for ALL the kids as one....i just dont have it in budget to buy like i use to and $10 per kid adds up and theres not much to buy nice for that amount....what do u think?

also, i was thinking of this as a few of my families do not celebrate and if i bought as a whole no one will be left outl
laundrymom 10:41 AM 11-10-2010
I buy a stocking full of things we need here, wrap them individually and on the last day of care before Christmas, we open the daycares gifts. Each child opens one and shows it to their friends. It stays here as a "daycare item" and everyone is happy because they got to open, show off and put away a new item. I get much needed supplies, the kids know that they got to open a present that they will get to play with. Parents seem to like it too.

Originally Posted by BentleysBands:

i have several kids/ part timers and of course parents...i was thinking instead of buying each and every one something i was gonna just buy a few things (toys,crafts, outside toy) for ALL the kids as one....i just dont have it in budget to buy like i use to and $10 per kid adds up and theres not much to buy nice for that amount....what do u think?

also, i was thinking of this as a few of my families do not celebrate and if i bought as a whole no one will be left outl

SimpleMom 10:50 AM 11-10-2010
I've been thinking about this, too. I usually buy through out the year when I find deals so that my budget fits a nice gift that they like. I like the daycare as a whole gift idea. That's the other thing I've been teetering on. It would fit into the budget of supplies the kids can use all the time as well. Might use that one next year! Not sure how to transition that one if I did though.

I've also used games at my Christmas Party (or Holiday Party if that works best). I buy game prizes which are fairly inexpensive (again, I find them on sale) and use them for the party gifts. Everyone wins prizes at the games and it's lots of fun.
sahm2three 11:36 AM 11-10-2010

I went to Kohls and got the Dr. Seuss stuffed animals they have for the Kohl's Cares thing. They are only $5 each! We read Dr. Seuss books all the time, and I have a Green Eggs and Ham t-shirt that the kids love, so the kids will love it!
WImom 11:37 AM 11-10-2010
What about a christmas scholastic book? They usually have holiday ones for 99cents around December. Maybe that and a candycane attached? Then buy a new toy for the daycare for them all to use.

I've done a gift exchange for the kids before. Parents seemed to like that and the kids enjoyed it too. (Each child gets a name and the parent and child buy the gift.)
Pammie 12:44 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
I've done a gift exchange for the kids before. Parents seemed to like that and the kids enjoyed it too. (Each child gets a name and the parent and child buy the gift.)
I had such bad luck with having a gift exchange with the kids for several years (parents forgetting to bring a gift - some spent waaay more than the $5 limit - a few were obvious $1 from the dollar store gifts)

So I changed to doing a "Golden Book" gift exchange. We don't draw names, just each family is asked to bring one wrapped Golden Book (unisex please) with their child's name on the tag in the "from" space. The Golden Books are only about $2 at the stores, so the parents are happy that it's not too expensive, and the kids are happy because they each get the same thing. I still buy a couple extra in case someone forgets, and if I don't need them they go right into my bookshelves:-)
QualiTcare 02:04 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by WImom:
What about a christmas scholastic book? They usually have holiday ones for 99cents around December. Maybe that and a candycane attached? Then buy a new toy for the daycare for them all to use.

that's a good idea....simple, nice - and cheap!
Crystal 02:06 PM 11-10-2010
bentleysbands....I have been contemplating the exact same thing. There are several larger things I'd like to have for the kids, and things I KNOW they would love, so I was thinking about doing that too. I think it's a great idea, and I think the parents would think so too.
Crystal 02:31 PM 11-10-2010
BTW, Toys R Us has board games on sale for $3 with a $2 rebate making them only $1.....
BentleysBands 04:55 AM 11-11-2010
thx for all the replies and suggestions!

DH and I decided to go with a few larger outside toys (not that we need anymore ) that way we know they will play with it and not get thrown away, lost or not appreciate by parents.
legomom922 05:22 AM 11-11-2010
The dollar store has GREAT books for only $1!! Personally I think they should have something that they can take home with them, because otherwise its not really a gift for them. If you get outside play equipment, its really for your daycare, and when the child leaves, thats equpment stays behind. I like for them to open something from me omn Christmas morning, so I send the wrapped gift home at the end of the day. You can also get many inexpensive gifts and I mean really inexpensive, at Oriental Trading. It's a magazine I used to get in the mail and they also have a website. I usually buy stuff from there for parties and stuff. Alot of things you buy in bulk from them just for kids.
countrymom 05:34 AM 11-11-2010
well ladies, you are lucky you live in the states, because you have the best deals ever, try living in canada, you can't buy anything nice for the kids under 20 dollars. So since i live super duper close to the michigan border I go and shop for the kids there. (we are going over this weekend for the moster truck at the silverdoem) but I spend 10 dollars on each kid and if they are siblings I buy something for both of them. I shop early so I don't end up buying things last minute and the kids love it. (I will check tru for games) the kids here would not get the fact that the toys would have to stay here and I think to me it would be a bit tacky.
BentleysBands 05:39 AM 11-11-2010
sounds good for you legomom but here i get tired of seeing stuff i have bought abused, thrown away, etc....another reason i no longer do paperwork , daily sheets...its all done in emails and signed if needed and put into their folders. tired of my time spent doing something and well, its not appreciate. around here u cant find much for under $20 thats worth a hoot.

what we have decided works for us and so far the parents love the idea. its also great for those who are on a budget and dont feel obligated to buy for me or other kids (and some do not celebrate) so what we are doing suits every child and no one is left out. IF a parent wants to buy something i always tell them just do for the daycare as a whole (toy,books,etc)
legomom922 06:35 AM 11-11-2010
sounds good for you legomom but here i get tired of seeing stuff i have bought abused, thrown away, etc....
The idea of buying a gift for someone, is just that..Buying a gift! What that person does with the gift is not under your control. You dont give a gift if it is only to be be treated nicely, then you are giving a gift with the wrong intentions. When you give a gift, that is the end of your responsibility. What happens afterwards is up to the recipient.

I agree with PP. Giving a gift to all that will stay in your daycare for years to come, is a bit tacky.. You dont have to spend $20, and books from the dollar store is inexpensive and educational, and if they tear them up at their house, that is their business. You could even make up little goody bags with treats, pencils, etc and still not cost you more tha $5 for everybody..if you wanted to.

I have never given gifts to kids with the condition that it stays at my house..that is something my husbands ex does, and it sucks. Gifts should be given without restrictions.
countrymom 11:11 AM 11-11-2010
I usually buy a book and something that I find they love to play at my house, like cars. U can buy hot wheel cars really cheap and I find that the kids are so happy that i bought them something and they tell people that I bought them that toy so I think they appreciate it more.
QualiTcare 11:32 AM 11-11-2010
Originally Posted by legomom922:
The idea of buying a gift for someone, is just that..Buying a gift! What that person does with the gift is not under your control. You dont give a gift if it is only to be be treated nicely, then you are giving a gift with the wrong intentions. When you give a gift, that is the end of your responsibility. What happens afterwards is up to the recipient.

I agree with PP. Giving a gift to all that will stay in your daycare for years to come, is a bit tacky.. You dont have to spend $20, and books from the dollar store is inexpensive and educational, and if they tear them up at their house, that is their business. You could even make up little goody bags with treats, pencils, etc and still not cost you more tha $5 for everybody..if you wanted to.

I have never given gifts to kids with the condition that it stays at my house..that is something my husbands ex does, and it sucks. Gifts should be given without restrictions.
i think buying something nice to stay at the daycare is a good idea, but along with that i would probably do the book/candycane or treat bags (something really cheap) and it wouldn't really matter if they didn't treasure it forever. it seems rational to an adult to only buy something that will last a long time, etc., but kids just want to open presents. they don't care what it is. i usually spend several hundred dollars on my own 2 children at christmas, and i always go to the dollar tree and buy them each like 20 things just so they can have more things to open. since most of that stuff ends up in the bottom of a bin or nowhere to be found a month later - it would make more sense to me to save the money and take them on a vacation, but i'd be one pissed off kid if my parents thought rationally at christmas time!
caitlin 01:12 PM 11-11-2010
I like buying each child a book, and writing something inside, and attach it with a small stuffed animal.
Tags:christmas
Reply Up