Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Toys Are Driving Me Nuts !! lol
Provider_Manda 04:24 PM 06-16-2012
Ok so my "daycare" room is small, I have taken out the changing table to help with the space and lets just say I miss it like crazy ! Anyway, I have a form of OCD where I have to rearrange things over a small period of time and clutter gives me anxiety..Well I have to store 2 pack and plays in my living room in one corner and across the room has more toys. I had a yard sale and sold some toys but still I feel that there is too many !! How much stuff do you have in your home daycare, and where do you store playpens if you do not have a lot of room ? I am running out of ideas, and in the process becoming very stressed over it. Just need some advice, I would love to rent a place and have it out of my home, but here in Ohio you have to live where you operate your type b daycare. Any ideas, or advice would be great !!
Abigail 04:38 PM 06-16-2012
Do you need to use pack n plays? I have plenty of open space, but I don't let a lot of toys out at once for my toddlers. I had a rummage sale and swear I must have sold 1/3 of my toys and daycare items but still have more I put out in the garage for a second sale. I would much rather buy something and sell it when I don't need it then to store it for a year. I have one pack n play but it's not in use yet. I will need it soon for a second older-infant who will start but normally I just take one infant at a time.
cheerfuldom 04:40 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
Ok so my "daycare" room is small, I have taken out the changing table to help with the space and lets just say I miss it like crazy ! Anyway, I have a form of OCD where I have to rearrange things over a small period of time and clutter gives me anxiety..Well I have to store 2 pack and plays in my living room in one corner and across the room has more toys. I had a yard sale and sold some toys but still I feel that there is too many !! How much stuff do you have in your home daycare, and where do you store playpens if you do not have a lot of room ? I am running out of ideas, and in the process becoming very stressed over it. Just need some advice, I would love to rent a place and have it out of my home, but here in Ohio you have to live where you operate your type b daycare. Any ideas, or advice would be great !!
can you post photos of your space so far?

without photos, my first idea would be to start considering shelving up on the walls or other creative storage spaces.

As for the OCD, I hope that you are getting this issue addressed with a professional. I was diagnosed with OCD several years ago and agree with you wholeheartedly that having any form of this disorder and pairing that with home daycare is very, very challenging. Working with children is all about patience, flexibility and the ability to let things happen....because messes and chaos with kids of course will happen. I feel confident that I have overcome this but it is something that I do sympathize with. please seek some ongoing help, if you havent already. It is likely that what you really need to do is accept the space for what it already is and not keep trying to find the perfect set up or control each toy at all times.

Baskets or bins for a toy rotation might help greatly so you arent seeing all your toys at all times. Just bring out what you need and conceal the rest in some way. Teach the kids to clean up after themselves.
Provider_Manda 04:51 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Do you need to use pack n plays? I have plenty of open space, but I don't let a lot of toys out at once for my toddlers. I had a rummage sale and swear I must have sold 1/3 of my toys and daycare items but still have more I put out in the garage for a second sale. I would much rather buy something and sell it when I don't need it then to store it for a year. I have one pack n play but it's not in use yet. I will need it soon for a second older-infant who will start but normally I just take one infant at a time.
Yea I have a 10 month old and a 1 year old. I can't put the 1 year old on a nap mat till 18 months.
Provider_Manda 04:59 PM 06-16-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
can you post photos of your space so far?

without photos, my first idea would be to start considering shelving up on the walls or other creative storage spaces.

As for the OCD, I hope that you are getting this issue addressed with a professional. I was diagnosed with OCD several years ago and agree with you wholeheartedly that having any form of this disorder and pairing that with home daycare is very, very challenging. Working with children is all about patience, flexibility and the ability to let things happen....because messes and chaos with kids of course will happen. I feel confident that I have overcome this but it is something that I do sympathize with. please seek some ongoing help, if you havent already. It is likely that what you really need to do is accept the space for what it already is and not keep trying to find the perfect set up or control each toy at all times.

Baskets or bins for a toy rotation might help greatly so you arent seeing all your toys at all times. Just bring out what you need and conceal the rest in some way. Teach the kids to clean up after themselves.
No, I have not seeked any help for the OCD. My mother has it, and I always poked fun, but as I get older the more it becomes an issue. I have bins in my toy room, it just seems that it is creeping out into the living room and I feel as if me and my family have no space of our own. I go crazy if my living room does not look nice b/c everyone comes in this room. But we also use this room to nap in as well.
It is hard not having a lot of extra space to store things so it seems that everything is always so visible. I will try and get a couple of pics. to help with the visual part of it
Provider_Manda 06:59 PM 06-16-2012
Here is just a few pics I took real quick
Attached: dc 001.jpg (77.7 KB) dc 002.jpg (62.9 KB) dc 003.jpg (51.2 KB) dc 004.jpg (38.9 KB) 
Provider_Manda 07:01 PM 06-16-2012
Here is the rest of them
Attached: dc 005.jpg (57.8 KB) dc 006.jpg (52.4 KB) 
cheerfuldom 08:18 PM 06-16-2012
okay if this was me, I would absolutely get some shelving or storage options on the walls. Tidy little matching bins or even rubbermaid totes will be much easier to handle then things lying on the floor constantly. There have been a few threads recently with photos of spaces, and I know there are some ones from the past too! Look over what other people do and that should be a big help to you.

here is my recent thread....I like my cubbies with matching baskets for those odds and ends that just need a home.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46832
spud912 08:28 PM 06-16-2012
I really love your wall decorations!

I absolutely love to organize and can come up with creative ideas to find room. I am a bit OCD as well and I have found that good organization makes me very happy.

Whenever you become "land-locked," the next thing to do is build up. In your case, I would add shelves for things you don't want the kids to get to and bins for the kid toys.

Next, clear out the rest of your house of clutter (especially closets) and sell/donate everything you haven't used in awhile and will not use. Try your best to organize what is left and declutter. I have found that those large vacuum bags are excellent for condensing seasonal clothing and linens. Hopefully you will have a little extra space to store remaining daycare items (like rotated toys, activities, arts & crafts, and linens).
Countrygal 06:06 AM 06-17-2012
I have much the same problem as you with space. And when I got done with FCCERS and all that THEY required or wanted me to have, I really felt overwhelmed.

My only solution was to forget the regs except the basic MUST HAVES and beyond that keep what is played with and get rid of the others or pack them away to rotate out.

The rotating out is probably the option I will go with if I can find some space to store the excess toys.
Countrygal 06:10 AM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
okay if this was me, I would absolutely get some shelving or storage options on the walls. Tidy little matching bins or even rubbermaid totes will be much easier to handle then things lying on the floor constantly. There have been a few threads recently with photos of spaces, and I know there are some ones from the past too! Look over what other people do and that should be a big help to you.

here is my recent thread....I like my cubbies with matching baskets for those odds and ends that just need a home.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46832
How big is your space? what are the dimensions. It looks like it is a long, skinnier room which is the shape of the room I am thinking of converting to my main daycare room. I'm wondering how it compares to yours so I could get an idea of space and what will fit.
cheerfuldom 12:24 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
How big is your space? what are the dimensions. It looks like it is a long, skinnier room which is the shape of the room I am thinking of converting to my main daycare room. I'm wondering how it compares to yours so I could get an idea of space and what will fit.
the space is 15x30
Michael 01:27 PM 06-17-2012
Maybe some ideas here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...playroom+ideas

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=toy+storage

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...layroom+layout
Provider_Manda 09:49 AM 06-18-2012
I don't even know where to put wall storage units..I feel that it will make the room smaller.
And thanks..I love the wall decorations too !
Tags:playroom ideas, playroom layout, toy storage
Reply Up