Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Legally Unlicensed/Licensed
Mom o Col 01:40 PM 09-23-2014
I honest to God am wondering, not trying to stir any trouble up, if those who are licensed have an issue with providers who are unlicensed BUT operating legally as far as the rules set forth in their own areas (not having more children than allowed, etc). To be fair I will state my own opinion first: I truly believe there is a place for both. I respect the time, energy, money, and commitment the licensed providers expend to obtain and maintain their licenses. I know how much goes into that. I believe being licensed should afford you at least a little more respect, ability to charge higher rates, and other benefits in exchange for the difficulties. At the same time I also am ok with the legally unlicensed as long as they are truly operating legally. Your thoughts...
Thriftylady 01:43 PM 09-23-2014
I was licensed in Kansas and am legally unlicensed now. I don't have an issue either way, as long as the law is being followed and the children are properly cared for.
Blackcat31 02:08 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by Mom o Col:
I honest to God am wondering, not trying to stir any trouble up, if those who are licensed have an issue with providers who are unlicensed BUT operating legally as far as the rules set forth in their own areas (not having more children than allowed, etc). To be fair I will state my own opinion first: I truly believe there is a place for both. I respect the time, energy, money, and commitment the licensed providers expend to obtain and maintain their licenses. I know how much goes into that. I believe being licensed should afford you at least a little more respect, ability to charge higher rates, and other benefits in exchange for the difficulties. At the same time I also am ok with the legally unlicensed as long as they are truly operating legally. Your thoughts...
Nope. Not here....I have zero issue with someone LEGALLY caring for kids in my state without a license.

....because in my state you can only watch one family's kids (whether they have 1 or 100) without needing a license so legally unlicensed providers really couldn't be competition here.

However, that said....I don't believe a license makes anyone a better or higher quality provider. I agree that is takes time, money and support to maintain that license but I don't for one second think it lends them any more credibility or can guarantee safety anymore than the next guy...kwim?
LysesKids 02:16 PM 09-23-2014
I started out licensed 14 years ago have also been registered in some states, now legally license exempt... the state rules in TN don't offer me any benefit for going licensed since I do babies only; I can have up to 4 kids either way. I still act like I am licensed with full paperwork etc, just without the bureaucratic crap that the Stars program adds to licensed providers in the state

As long as a provider is running legal who should worry... there are benefits to both ways
KidGrind 02:18 PM 09-23-2014
I agree with all the posters above.
e.j. 02:39 PM 09-23-2014
I don't have a problem with unlicensed providers. If I could legally operate without a license in my own state, I would do it in a heartbeat.
NightOwl 02:57 PM 09-23-2014
Not me. We don't have a provision for legally unlicensed people here. You either are licensed or illegal. But I would have no problem with it, as long as the law is being followed.
Dilley Beans 03:20 PM 09-23-2014
In Oregon you are either Licensed or Registered, or exempt for having 1 family's kids + your own, up to 3 kids total. I am headed for Registered personally but working towards Licensed, there are a few steps that will take more money than we have right now and in due time will complete.

We all want what is best for the children of our communities but sometimes we have to step back and remember we can't watch everyone's children, someone else has to be a care provider for all the ones we can't take.
Baby Beluga 04:43 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I started out licensed 14 years ago have also been registered in some states, now legally license exempt... the state rules in TN don't offer me any benefit for going licensed since I do babies only; I can have up to 4 kids either way. I still act like I am licensed with full paperwork etc, just without the bureaucratic crap that the Stars program adds to licensed providers in the state

As long as a provider is running legal who should worry... there are benefits to both ways
I second this and also operate this way. In my state you can have up to 4 children without being licensed. IMO 4 is all I want so really there isn't much of a benefit to being licensed. I still have paperwork, a parent handbook and normal DC policies. I also have a fingerprint clearance card, CPR/First AID certifications and food handlers cards on display in my daycare room- and all are current.

I will say though there is a lot of competition in my city of providers who are NOT running legally. One of my DCP's told me she left her last provider who had 9 children and was unlicensed.
Thriftylady 05:31 PM 09-23-2014
I have to say that even though I am legally unlicensed now, I run like I did when I was licensed. Or will when I get some kids. I have full paperwork, healthy menus, and am basically doing things the way I did then. Just because I don't have to be licensed doesn't mean my program should be lacking.
Play Care 05:45 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I don't have a problem with unlicensed providers. If I could legally operate without a license in my own state, I would do it in a heartbeat.

That said, I've recently found out (and why this just occurred to me I have no idea, I'm just sheltered I guess ) is that some legally unlicensed providers in my state are claiming they are related to the kids in their care when they are not, just do they don't have to be licensed.
So if they are TRULY legally unlicensed than I don't care. I hate having to be licensed.
Annalee 06:42 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:

That said, I've recently found out (and why this just occurred to me I have no idea, I'm just sheltered I guess ) is that some legally unlicensed providers in my state are claiming they are related to the kids in their care when they are not, just do they don't have to be licensed.
So if they are TRULY legally unlicensed than I don't care. I hate having to be licensed.
Many here are illegally unlicensed ...u can keep 4 children unrelated and as many as you want related....some are keeping as many as me (12 kids) and saying the extra kids are niece/nephews so they can count them on the food program...sad thing is the food program has to know this but they do nothing about it......unless there is a complaint, licensing does not go after illegally unlicensed providers here but yet they will come into my licensed program at any time of day and check whatever they choose for the day!!
toriskids 10:27 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Dilley Beans:
In Oregon you are either Licensed or Registered, or exempt for having 1 family's kids + your own, up to 3 kids total. I am headed for Registered personally but working towards Licensed, there are a few steps that will take more money than we have right now and in due time will complete.

We all want what is best for the children of our communities but sometimes we have to step back and remember we can't watch everyone's children, someone else has to be a care provider for all the ones we can't take.
Good luck to you Dilley Beans! I am a registered provider here in Oregon and love love love it
Cat Herder 10:38 AM 09-24-2014
No problem here.

In my State you have to be licensed if you keep more than two kids. Even if they are related to you. And now, 2014, it applies even if you accept no pay for them.

Take in 3rd kid that you are not the legal guardian of... and you have to get licensed. Crystal clear, now.

IF I could pay my bills keeping only two kids, I'd be legally unlicensed in a heartbeat. I'd be one of those lucky transporting/field trip providers.
NeedaVaca 10:46 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No problem here.

In my State you have to be licensed if you keep more than two kids. Even if they are related to you. And now, 2014, it applies even if you accept no pay for them.

Take in 3rd kid that you are not the legal guardian of... and you have to get licensed. Crystal clear, now.

IF I could pay my bills keeping only two kids, I'd be legally unlicensed in a heartbeat. I'd be one of those lucky transporting/field trip providers.
That is so sad! So a grandparent couldn't watch there own grandchildren for free? I don't understand how people let laws like this get passed!
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
That is so sad! So a grandparent couldn't watch there own grandchildren for free? I don't understand how people let laws like this get passed!
It does not make the news, no flyers are mailed, few people take the time to educate themselves, public comment times are changed repetitively and scheduled to make it impossible for individuals to attend, closed door meetings, fear of retribution, don't want to lose their free $.... Pick one.
SignMeUp 04:11 PM 09-24-2014
It does not make the news, no flyers are mailed, few people take the time to educate themselves, public comment times are changed repetitively and scheduled to make it impossible for individuals to attend, closed door meetings, fear of retribution, don't want to lose their free $.... Pick one.
Ohhh. Kind of like the unionization hearings here
SignMeUp 04:16 PM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by NeedAVaca:
And seriously. When did we (collectively) sell our souls to the government?So sad
AmyKidsCo 06:02 PM 09-24-2014
I'm licensed and have no problem with legally unlicensed.

By legally I mean within ratios and pays taxes. I used to have an unregulated lady up the street who was over ratio and only took cash so she didn't have to pay taxes.
Tags:legally unlicensed
Reply Up