Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is Your Policy On Potty Training?
Christian Mother 07:34 PM 03-26-2011
I just finished potty training one of my DCB's he almost 2 1/2 but I am stumped on how to write it into my policies...I normally start when the child can sit on a potty with out fussing about it. Then we go cold turkey no pull up or anything on...then run to the toilet after the first couple of accidents on the floor as I have all wood floors. Then after we've mastered every 45min of going potty in the toilet it on to training pants (undies), then all clothes just going every 45min. I do put them in either a pull up or diaper at nap time. I just don't know of a professional way of wording...can you help??
Christian Mother 08:01 PM 03-26-2011
How is this?

Potty Training: When a parent feels a child is ready and a child shows readiness I will then assist parents in the toilet training of their child. I ask that potty training be first initiated at home. It is very important that parents are taking a active participation in their child’s training and success. Parents will need to bring extra clothing and the type of toileting products they prefer such as Pull-Ups or training pants. If there were a lot of accidents while wearing training pants it would be helpful to the provider to bring plastic pants to go over training pants. Send your child ONLY in easy on/easy off clothing until they are able to completely undress and dress by themselves. I will not force children to sit on the potty and will use only positive encouragement in order to promote using the potty.
momatheart 02:35 PM 03-27-2011
How about something like this. I took what you had but shortened it. I took out when parents feel they are ready.

Potty Training:
When a child shows readiness I will assist parents in the toilet training of their child. I ask that potty training be first initiated at home example over a weekend. It is very important that parents are taking an active participation in their child’s training and success.
Here is what is needed extra clothing. Training pants with plastic pants. Or pull ups. Please make sure all clothing is easy for the child to pull up and down. This also makes it easier to assit the child if needed. (No buttons, snaps or overalls.)
MN Day Mom 02:53 PM 03-27-2011
**My Policy
I will work with the parents to initiate potty training when the child shows interest and the proper signs. In order to be successful, it is important that both the parents and I are consistent on our techniques. If training is begun when the child is ready, the task is easy and quick.

When we agree that the time is right for your child and until s/he is totally successful in his or her training, No wearing of overalls, clothing with suspenders, snaps, buckles or belts. Easy to pull down quickly clothing ONLY. Anything else sets the child up for more accidents and feelings of failure.

Potty training should begin at home at the start of a weekend. If you have success, then training can continue at day care. If your child does not have success, the child should be put back in diapers for a respite, and the process will be attempted again after a break. This does not harm the child in any way. In fact, allowing the child to fail and causing pressure can be very harmful to the child, mentally and emotionally.

Signs of Readiness (two or more signs to start)
Stays dry for at least 2 hours and during a nap
Bowel movements are regular and predictable
Wanting wet/soiled pants changed
Demonstrating interest in the bathroom or toilet

**Supplies I request...
7-8 pairs of heavy layered training pants and plastic covers or pull-ups
3 complete changes of clothing including socks
At least 1 diaper/pull-up for nap/quiet time
2 plastic bags for soiled clothes
SimpleMom 06:12 AM 03-28-2011
I always have the kids sit on the potty every two hours and if they tell me they have to go potty once they are about 2.5 yrs. They are required to wear pull-ups here until they are dry AT HOME and daycare for two weeks. Then we try for the undies. It's been working pretty good here. I can really tell when parents are working with their children at home, too It goes MUCH faster.
SimpleMom 06:15 AM 03-28-2011
Just from experience: before I implemented my current policy of pull-ups--training pant with plastic covers are VERY messy and unsanitary Tough to take care of that mess when you have so many others to watch out for, too. I have them use a velcro sided cloth training pant. Easier to clean up and they can still feel the wetness.
Christian Mother 07:42 PM 03-29-2011
Thanks sooo much!! Got a lot of that into my Policy Handbook!!
Tags:potty training, potty training policy
Reply Up