Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Far Do You Go To Meet a Child’s Needs?
daycare 05:21 PM 09-07-2011
Ok so some of this might sound like a vent, but really what I am asking is how far do you go to make a child happy and meet thier individual needs.
What are the special things that you do to make a child happy, even though you don't do it for others

Example:
I have two sisters that won't drink thier milk unless I heat it up

I have one child that if any of his food is touching another food he wont eat anything, so I bought him a plate with little sections.

I have one child who will not sleep without a fan on her during nap time. DOn't worry, it's way out of reach of fingers.

Oh the list goes on......

Even though this is group care and I really try to avoid not doing things as a group, there are just some things that I have to do and won't battle......lol
Michelle 05:34 PM 09-07-2011
Well, as long as it's not costing you money or hurting someone else, why not do these things? that's what makes us stand out from centers .
They demand cookie cutter kids, we give a lot of individual attention and love.
Good job! These kids will always love you and remember these things you do for them.
PitterPatter 05:53 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Ok so some of this might sound like a vent, but really what I am asking is how far do you go to make a child happy and meet thier individual needs.
What are the special things that you do to make a child happy, even though you don't do it for others

Example:
I have two sisters that won't drink thier milk unless I heat it up

I have one child that if any of his food is touching another food he wont eat anything, so I bought him a plate with little sections.

I have one child who will not sleep without a fan on her during nap time. DOn't worry, it's way out of reach of fingers.

Oh the list goes on......

Even though this is group care and I really try to avoid not doing things as a group, there are just some things that I have to do and won't battle......lol
I will bend for a child. It just depends on if it is a need, appreciated want or just a spolied want. Like when I run out of ketchup 1 DCB would get super mad and refuse to eat and throw his fries. Sorry no special trips for you. BUT when I ran out of applesauce in the past to go with banana fritters I hurry and ran a couple apples thru the processer because I know they like it with the fritters. At lunch I ran out of parm cheese for the salad so I had my Mom make a run to the store when she stopped by. If we usually have something and I run out or forget I do my best to make it right.

1 DCG couldn't pee on the potty without running water so I had water running for 5 minutes at a time every time she went. BUT she was really trying and it worked so it was worth it.

1 DCB wasn't fed properly at home so I always sent fresh foods and extra goodies home with him.

A couple yrs ago youngin I used to have had to rub and twist my hair to go to sleep so I held him on my lap and let him do that even tho it was very knotted afterwards lol.

A couple children don't have much so I give them more gift wise than I do the other kids (the others don't know of course)

1 DCB had to have a certain show on 1st thing in the morning when he arrived or he couldn't function. It was 1 of those irritating shows too! BUT it was either that or he cried and screamed for an hour he just couldn't function. (ok so maybe that was for my sanity as well )

As long as child is kind and respectful I will do almost anything for them but if they just want something and are rude about it or demanding then they don't get it.

I think it's the little extra things that count with kids. It doesn't take much for them to know we really care for them!
Hunni Bee 06:10 PM 09-07-2011
One of my now five-year-olds could not sleep unless I more or less laid on her mat with her, when she was three.
daycare 06:16 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
One of my now five-year-olds could not sleep unless I more or less laid on her mat with her, when she was three.
Oh my gosh this is so sweet. I woner how my son will do when he leaves the nest for preschool as we still co-sleep......I hope he has someone like you......
Hunni Bee 06:33 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Oh my gosh this is so sweet. I woner how my son will do when he leaves the nest for preschool as we still co-sleep......I hope he has someone like you......

I finally figured out that most of my kids still co-sleep, with either parents or brothers/sisters. I don't have anybody that needs to "co-nap" right now, but I always lie on the floor where they can all see me until everybody nods off. Some of them still need a hand on their back or head on certain days
cheerfuldom 06:36 PM 09-07-2011
I will do any of the things you listed as long as it DOES make the child happy. None of the things is a big deal. As long as it isn't taking away from the other kids in any way and is within reason. For example, I would turn on a fan but I won't rock to sleep because the rocking leaves the other kids unattended.
sharlan 06:53 PM 09-07-2011
I try really hard to meet each child's individual needs.

I still peel apples and cut crusts off of bread. (Makes my dd's mad because they always had to eat their peels and crusts.)

1 guy I have now doesn't like butter, so no butter on his pancakes or waffles. He also only drinks water, so no milk or juice when everybody else is.
daycare 07:02 PM 09-07-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I try really hard to meet each child's individual needs.

I still peel apples and cut crusts off of bread. (Makes my dd's mad because they always had to eat their peels and crusts.)

1 guy I have now doesn't like butter, so no butter on his pancakes or waffles. He also only drinks water, so no milk or juice when everybody else is.
hhahaha that is so funny that your DD noticed that you are doing it for the kids..

I also cut off crust, but I don't really serve too many sandwhiches as I have two kids allergic to peanuts and one allergice to mayo....

thats cute
sharlan 07:04 PM 09-07-2011
Yeah, they notice a lot of things I do differently from when they were little. I've mellowed in my old age.
Solandia 04:07 AM 09-08-2011
I sit next to one little guy to sleep. Another loves to have be rubbed right behind his ears...falls asleep within 2-3 minutes. One had to have her arms rubbed. One needed to rub my ear to fall asleep. I do rock new babies to sleep, until they are trained to fall asleep by themselves. BUT everyone is in the same room, and the rocker is in the sleeping area.

I don't peel apples once they are over 2yo, they can eat around the peel (apple slices), same with crust on bread and toast.

I use sectioned plates anyway. ALL the kids eat much better eating things not combined (so we do not do many chili's, stews, casseroles). I try to do more meat & grain in the big section, a veggie in one, and fruit in another. **It really helps with nutrition training with the kids of all ages. Easy to eyeball serving sizes accurately, etc.

I will leave sauce off the pasta for some kids. I actually prefer it that way, less messy, LOL>
blessedmess8 06:05 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I finally figured out that most of my kids still co-sleep, with either parents or brothers/sisters. I don't have anybody that needs to "co-nap" right now, but I always lie on the floor where they can all see me until everybody nods off. Some of them still need a hand on their back or head on certain days
Awwwww. Love it! This is what child care is all about!
countrymom 06:39 AM 09-08-2011
I do like to meet the childs needs, so yes, I warm milk, cut crust off, peel apples, I think thats what a home is, that nice feeling, all children are different just because it works for one doesn't work for the others. I have a little girl who I do her hair everyday, I even give the kids extra snacks before its time.
PitterPatter 07:47 AM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I will do any of the things you listed as long as it DOES make the child happy. None of the things is a big deal. As long as it isn't taking away from the other kids in any way and is within reason. For example, I would turn on a fan but I won't rock to sleep because the rocking leaves the other kids unattended.
I rocked a child (that twisted my hair) but I didn't leave others unattended. They were in the same room with me right in my sight as I rocked the other child so I don't understand what that means.
bgmeyers 07:57 AM 09-08-2011
I try to think of how I would like my child to be treated if they were away from me all day. The things listed here are just little things that can make a child's day easier and really don't take that much time or effort. They just show that you care for them as individuals.
morgan24 09:36 AM 09-08-2011
I do lots of the little things, I heat my new little guys blanket in the dryer, he goes to sleep really fast with a warmed up blanket. I do it because happy kids means a happy me.
Kaddidle Care 11:40 AM 09-08-2011
Oooh that must be so nice! I used to do that with #1 son's towels so when he got out of the bath/shower it was nice and warm for him. That's such a comforting thing - like a continual hug.
PitterPatter 01:40 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Oooh that must be so nice! I used to do that with #1 son's towels so when he got out of the bath/shower it was nice and warm for him. That's such a comforting thing - like a continual hug.
They are wonderful and enjoy them while they are free because the hospital charges $50 for a warmed up blankie!!
Tags:needy, vent
Reply Up