View Poll Results: Hand Washing Technique
water on/wet hands/soap/lather & scrub/rinse 27 87.10%
water on/soap/lather & scrub with hands in water 1 3.23%
soap/water on/later & scrub with hands in water 3 9.68%
something else? 0 0%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hand Washing Poll
SilverSabre25 12:07 PM 02-15-2013
Just curious. It drives me nuts to have to constantly reteach this particular thing and I find it in a lot of kids. So, I ask you...how do you wash your hands/teach washing hands? you personally, I mean.
SilverSabre25 12:10 PM 02-15-2013
I do the first. It drives me bonkers to see kids getting soap on their hands when their hands are still dry, and then scrubbing them together while under the water! I see it in almost every new child I've had for three years. Is this really how most people wash hands?
canadiancare 12:23 PM 02-15-2013
I try to teach 1 but most seem to go for 2. We sing Happy Birthday while washing our hands.
Country Kids 12:37 PM 02-15-2013
Sad thing is-I HAVE TO RETEACH IT EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!!

I wish there was a little emotion thing of me banging my head on the wall-
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 02-15-2013
I have a sign posted above all my sinks that has a picture tutorial on how to wash your hands. No reading skills required.

It shows to:
Easy Peasy!

If you would like a copy of the sign, let me know and I will see if I can figure out my stupid scanner and scan it.

Oh, and it has little pictures on the side showing what things require you to wash after doing. Such as snezing, laying with a pet, outside, meals/snacks, coughing etc.
Country Kids 12:42 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a sign posted above all my sinks that has a picture tutorial on how to wash your hands. No reading skills required.

It shows to:
  • wet your hands
  • use the soap
  • rub your hands together
  • now put them under the water to rinse
  • dry
  • use paper towel to turn off faucet

Easy Peasy!

If you would like a copy of the sign, let me know and I will see if I can figure out my stupid scanner and scan it.

Please!!!!

If you can figure it out=

Three years, THREE YEARS and they can't figure it out! I fear for the poor kindergarten teachers.
Blackcat31 12:47 PM 02-15-2013
Try this site too: http://www.washinghands.net/posters-signs-pictures.php

Looks like they have similar signs/posters demonstrating proper handwashing with photos that you could print off yourself

Mine is VERY similar to those on the link.
MNMommy2 12:51 PM 02-15-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I do the first. It drives me bonkers to see kids getting soap on their hands when their hands are still dry, and then scrubbing them together while under the water! I see it in almost every new child I've had for three years. Is this really how most people wash hands?
This is how we do it. I have a hard time with wasting water so we put the soap on and start lathering it, then we turn the water on and scrub for the appropriate amount of time. It is just a control thing in my case, running water seriously gives me twitches. lol My husband laughs at me all the time because I always turn the water off on him when he is doing dishes, etc.

And my family had better not even THINK about leaving the water running while brushing their teeth!

And this is how I have always washed my hands, now that I think about it.
kitykids3 12:52 PM 02-15-2013
I have this poster, colored and laminated, right above the sink. Plus, with washing our hands so many times a day (including upon arrival), they get lots of practice.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/81019080/Be-a-Germ-Buster

ETA: This is the way we have to do it for the FCCERS. So we started practicing this last year when YoungStar came in. Have to scrub for 20 seconds before getting rinsing. I got marked down on a lot of things last year because we were getting the hands wet, getting soap, then getting a little more water, then scrubbing. No extra water after getting soap. I never knew that.
Jewels 01:10 PM 02-15-2013
we sing the ABC's while rubbing the soap on the hands, no going back in the water until the song is over. It makes me laugh being in public with my 6 yo son and standing outside the boys room waiting for him, and hearing the ABC's being sung loud enough for people walking by to hear.
Sunchimes 05:10 PM 02-15-2013
My first dcg was on an Old Macdonald kick when she started washing her hands. Since then, we sing
"Old Macdonald washed his hands, EIEIO,
He washed his hands and he washed his hands, EIEIO
With a wash wash here and a wash wash there,
Here a wash, there a wash,
Everywhere a wash wash,
Old Macdonald washed his hands EIEIO.

And for some reason unknown to me, now and then someone throws in a "Cha, cha, cha" at the end.
Tags:handwashing, poll
Reply Up