Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Nannyde
NightOwl 09:21 AM 07-16-2014
I was watching your YouTube videos and I'm wondering about the one where you set physical boundaries for the kids using the towels. HOW DID YOU DO THAT?? Lol. I've had the same children for 15 months and they KNOW to stay out of my bedroom, but if that door is open, in they go. Every.Single.Time. So how did you train your children to not cross your boundaries? They're just visual reminders, not gates, so I'm wondering how you handled it with them so that they learned to respect those boundaries.
craftymissbeth 09:28 AM 07-16-2014
I'm obviously not nan, but I did what she does but with rolled up blankets. As soon as I saw one going towards the blankets I reminded them not to touch it. I was able to eventually remove the blanket leading out of the playroom and it's rare that anyone tests it. The reason I did it is because the gate in that doorway was ruining my walls.

It was a pretty quick process of reminding them... Maybe a couple days?
NightOwl 09:34 AM 07-16-2014
Really?? Maybe my kids are just crazy stubborn then? I am NOT a push over by any means, but I can't seem to get this one to stick!
nannyde 10:16 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I'm obviously not nan, but I did what she does but with rolled up blankets. As soon as I saw one going towards the blankets I reminded them not to touch it. I was able to eventually remove the blanket leading out of the playroom and it's rare that anyone tests it. The reason I did it is because the gate in that doorway was ruining my walls.

It was a pretty quick process of reminding them... Maybe a couple days?
This and take them to the furthest point of the room ... turn their backs to you... say GO PLAY TOYS...... you turn quickly and walk away so when they turn around they only see your back.

Carry on as if nothing happened

Rinse repeat
daycarediva 11:30 AM 07-16-2014
I use colored tape. Works GREAT! They CANNOT enter my kitchen and they CANNOT enter the hallway. Red tape for both. I say "red means STOP" and point. It's never taken more than a few times with any kid.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 07-16-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
This and take them to the furthest point of the room ... turn their backs to you... say GO PLAY TOYS...... you turn quickly and walk away so when they turn around they only see your back.

Rinse repeat
I have gates on all my rooms.

They've been open for months now.

EVERYONE knows where the "invisible" line is and no on crosses it.

Took a bit of training (and silent "naughty" words in my head as well as a few "count to 10" moments) but it was totally worth it.
Indianadaycare 10:17 AM 07-18-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
this and take them to the furthest point of the room ... Turn their backs to you... Say go play toys...... You turn quickly and walk away so when they turn around they only see your back.

rinse repeat
love this!
coolconfidentme 11:32 AM 07-18-2014
We have painted lines on the out of bounds areas. (Hardwood floors/We do not in in our DC)
AmyKidsCo 11:52 AM 07-18-2014
I have to keep the gate to the living room closed all the time because otherwise my 2 yr old grandson will go in - he still has a hard time differentiating between "daycare time" and "grandma time" at our house.

The kitchen gate is left open most of the time, except when I have crawlers/walkers who haven't learned the boundaries yet. Somewhere between 12-18 mos they figure it out.
Childminder 11:59 AM 07-18-2014
I have children trained to not step through my doorway to my kitchen unless I give permission. Parents are always amazed at this and how quickly or how young they are trained. Basically I do the firm "No!" Pick up carry to the middle of the room and another firm command to play. Similar to Nan.
NightOwl 01:22 PM 07-18-2014
Ima doing this!!
Tags:boundries, nannyde
Reply Up