Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Innapropriate or Not????
Unregistered 05:40 PM 05-05-2011
I work at a daycare and I need some opinions. There is this One Year Old Teacher that is VERY "rough". These are just a few things that I have noticed that I think are totally inappropriate.

-If the kids will not lay still at naptime she will make them stand up next to their bed with a blanket over their head, until they are "ready" to lay back down.

-They are only allowed to play with ONE toy at a time. (THEY ARE ONE!!)

-When crying "too much" they are sprayed numerous times in the face with water.

-Leaves them in their seats (she has a table with seats built in) for over and hour at times.

I REALLY need some outside input!! My son is moving up to her class in June!!!
Michael 06:48 PM 05-05-2011
She sounds like a drill seargant. Sounds over the top to me.
Live and Learn 06:53 PM 05-05-2011
What the heck?!

Come on, is this for real?

If it is for real, I would call DHS!!! That is child abuse!
nannyde 06:53 PM 05-05-2011

Absolutely inapropriate and cruel.

The blanket over the head is so that they loose balance. They can't stand in one place without having the vision to balance themselves. That's a way to force them to fall down without pushing them down.

water to the face is to shock them and make them gasp for breath. The gasping will make them loose their balance and fall down.

one toy at a time is to make sure they don't make a mess that she has to manage cleaning AND a way to keep constant disciplining them on something that LOOKS reasonable but creates complete chaos in the mind of a one year old.

keeping them buckled in seats is just keeping them from having to be supervised.

She needs to be reported. Do it today.
Unregistered 07:09 PM 05-05-2011
I would pull my child from that center. I am sure there are other teachers in the room with this teacher and they are allowing it as well.
3kidzmama 07:12 PM 05-05-2011
Please report this immediately. This is horrible.
Candyland 07:24 PM 05-05-2011
I wasn't going to post anything because this just sounds like a fake post...but then, you never know. So to the OP...common sense, please!
PitterPatter 07:33 PM 05-05-2011
If this is genuine u must report her now!!

Does anyone else see this going on? How many children is she doing this to?

I feel so bad for these poor kids! Take note if other teachers are seeing this because they are mandated reporters and they are just as guilty for not reporting this abuse!
Cat Herder 04:39 AM 05-06-2011
You are a mandated reporter.

If you don't report this you are as guilty as she is.

I know it may be scary and will most likely cost you your job, but you NEED to do it NOW.
squareone 05:03 AM 05-06-2011
Report it immediately to the director and tell her that you have personally witnessed this and you need her to take action TODAY or you will have to take additional steps by reporting to CPS. Then, if she doesn't take corrective action immediately, when you make your report to CPS you can include the fact that you notified the director and nothing was done.
youretooloud 10:30 AM 05-06-2011
This doesn't sound real to me. I think it's a made up post.

BUT, on the off chance that this is real..... that's child abuse, (the blankets and the spray bottle) Those things would need to be reported.

If the child is not in this class yet, how do you know it's happening? And, if you do know it's happening, why doesn't the director know? If the other parents know, why are they still bringing their kids? Where is the common sense here? Nobody forces you to use that daycare. We have to do what's best for our own kids.

I have never seen anybody in any childcare setting do anything like this (which is why I don't believe it's true) and I have never met a parent who would not move heaven and earth to protect their kids.
AnythingsPossible 10:50 AM 05-06-2011
we had a provider in our area that would discipline children by spraying them with a spray bottle. It was considred abusive behvaior and she lost her license. as stated above, you need to report her to the director and if nothing is done, to the cps.
Meeko 01:58 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Report it immediately to the director and tell her that you have personally witnessed this and you need her to take action TODAY or you will have to take additional steps by reporting to CPS. Then, if she doesn't take corrective action immediately, when you make your report to CPS you can include the fact that you notified the director and nothing was done.
Ditto to all the above. This woman needs to lose her job.
QualiTcare 02:06 PM 05-06-2011
i wouldn't even report it to the director first. there's a chance that you'll lose your job, she'll keep hers, and then CPS will be told the claims are "retaliation" by you. i would call CPS first.
daycare 02:35 PM 05-06-2011
This scares me that Someone who claims to work with kids would even have to ask these questions. DUH!!!

This is not a real post...
youretooloud 02:52 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
This scares me that Someone who claims to work with kids would even have to ask these questions. DUH!!!

This is not a real post...
I know... Every Friday this happens.
Meeko 03:53 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I know... Every Friday this happens.
Hmmm...I didn't even stop to think it wasn't real. After reading some of these posts...it does sound a bit strange. The biggest red flag is that her child supposedly is not in this class yet. So how does she know what's goes on in such detail? And if someones else told her....then why is nobody reporting it?

....or someone has a vendetta against a teacher or co-worker maybe?
nannyde 04:08 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Hmmm...I didn't even stop to think it wasn't real. After reading some of these posts...it does sound a bit strange. The biggest red flag is that her child supposedly is not in this class yet. So how does she know what's goes on in such detail? And if someones else told her....then why is nobody reporting it?

....or someone has a vendetta against a teacher or co-worker maybe?
It's hard to tell if it's real or not but I have the feeling it is. I think the details are too specific and they are things I have learned about abusing providers doing in Centers.

It sounds like she maybe works at a center and has free or near free child care and her kid is going into that room soon.

Either way it is a lesson about what some SICKO people do to little kids to be mean to them.
PitterPatter 05:29 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
we had a provider in our area that would discipline children by spraying them with a spray bottle. It was considred abusive behvaior and she lost her license. as stated above, you need to report her to the director and if nothing is done, to the cps.
I don't get the whole spraying with water thing. What does that solve? I have used it on stray cats to chase them out of the flower bed when they are about to squat and away from the bird feeders. But that's it. Oh and the kids spray each other in summer for fun. Why do some teachers/providers spray children?
nannyde 06:05 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I don't get the whole spraying with water thing. What does that solve? I have used it on stray cats to chase them out of the flower bed when they are about to squat and away from the bird feeders. But that's it. Oh and the kids spray each other in summer for fun. Why do some teachers/providers spray children?
It's to shock them.

If someone came up and mist sprayed you in the face and you didn't see it coming... what would you do? Now imagine doing that to someone who has only been walking for a few weeks or months?

It shocks them and it makes them loose their balance and fall down/over.

The colder the water the more intense the avoidance reaction the child has. The stronger the child's reaction to it the harder they fall. It can make them fall backwards or sideways.

It's a way to hurt them and not leave marks. The shock only lasts a few seconds but the fall can hurt. The "fall" doesn't matter to the adult because it can be explained as normal childhood falling.

If the adult is doing it multiple times over the course of a short time you can tell because the babies first reaction is to rub the water out of the eyes. So the "tell" that someone is doing that to them is reddened eyes and the area around the eyes. Also the bridge of the nose becomes red from the rubbing. The top part of their cheekbones will be reddened too.

One of the issues in centers is that the spray bottles they have available are usually there for a cleaning reason. They can contain bleach or cleaning agents that aren't completely rinsed out.

Using a spray bottle that contains chemicals makes the eye burn even worse.

Unfortunately I know way too much about this. One of the WISE and very experienced members on our board has schooled me Center Abusor 101. before I took consulting work for two centers monitoring their live video feeds.

I could go my whole life and not even THINK that people would be like this but it is a reality and it's best to know the truth.
PitterPatter 06:18 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's to shock them.

If someone came up and mist sprayed you in the face and you didn't see it coming... what would you do? Now imagine doing that to someone who has only been walking for a few weeks or months?

It shocks them and it makes them loose their balance and fall down/over.

The colder the water the more intense the avoidance reaction the child has. The stronger the child's reaction to it the harder they fall. It can make them fall backwards or sideways.

It's a way to hurt them and not leave marks. The shock only lasts a few seconds but the fall can hurt. The "fall" doesn't matter to the adult because it can be explained as normal childhood falling.

If the adult is doing it multiple times over the course of a short time you can tell because the babies first reaction is to rub the water out of the eyes. So the "tell" that someone is doing that to them is reddened eyes and the area around the eyes. Also the bridge of the nose becomes red from the rubbing. The top part of their cheekbones will be reddened too.

One of the issues in centers is that the spray bottles they have available are usually there for a cleaning reason. They can contain bleach or cleaning agents that aren't completely rinsed out.

Using a spray bottle that contains chemicals makes the eye burn even worse.

Unfortunately I know way too much about this. One of the WISE and very experienced members on our board has schooled me Center Abusor 101. before I took consulting work for two centers monitoring their live video feeds.

I could go my whole life and not even THINK that people would be like this but it is a reality and it's best to know the truth.
OMG!! I was just speechless over here!

I have never heard of a teacher or provider actually WANTING to hurt a child especially the babies ( I call toddlers babies too here sometimes) I always assumed people go into a profession because it's what they love or at least enjoy. ( Fast food and grocerie store type jobs exculded obviously) I could never ever ever harm a child! How do people live with themselves. AND they have to answer to God (that's another subject but ykwim) I see freaks on the news all the time doing terrible things to children but I have never heard of a provider just hurting and tormenting and such. If they don't like kids then quit. Simple solution. ... I'm just shocked... I really hope this is stopped ASAP! If a person is proved to be tormenting/harming children like this I think they should get more than fired!
nannyde 06:51 PM 05-06-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
OMG!! I was just speechless over here!

I have never heard of a teacher or provider actually WANTING to hurt a child especially the babies ( I call toddlers babies too here sometimes) I always assumed people go into a profession because it's what they love or at least enjoy. ( Fast food and grocerie store type jobs exculded obviously) I could never ever ever harm a child! How do people live with themselves. AND they have to answer to God (that's another subject but ykwim) I see freaks on the news all the time doing terrible things to children but I have never heard of a provider just hurting and tormenting and such. If they don't like kids then quit. Simple solution. ... I'm just shocked... I really hope this is stopped ASAP! If a person is proved to be tormenting/harming children like this I think they should get more than fired!
Yup

I had a LOT of hours of training on this (thanks to my bestie who took the time to teach me this ) and I spent a lot of crying time in between these lessons. It's very overwhelming. Since I have never worked in a Center and I've only done child care with staff I am supervising... I didn't even KNOW this stuff existed.

The truth is that child care is often done by people who have no training and can't get a job doing much else but food service and other low paying jobs. They are miserable because they are overwhelmed with a job that is too hard for them for little pay. When you combine hard work, little education, and low pay you get people behaving badly and desperately.
Tags:innapropriate
Reply Up