Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Staying at Pick Up and Weird comments??
MommyMuffin 05:35 AM 08-10-2011
I have a DCM who comes into my living room/daycare area everyday. Even though I have a foyer and a gate at the top of the stairs. I have her chid ready at pick up and I try to give him to her over the gate. She doesnt take him but proceeds to open the gate..chat...chat. And then starts playing with her child.

I love talking to her most of the time but my dcks go crazy when she is up here. Plus I need to start dacycare clean up. How do I get her to stop it!!!

Also, she has recently made weird comments and they are irking me...what do you think of them..am I over reacting?

Last week she comes and picks up her child and says he smells and that maybe he has a poopy diaper. She proceeds to get my changing pad and begins to change him, just to find out that his diaper is DRY. (I always change diapers!!)

Then the other day her child rolled on the floor crying when she came and she said "You want some water dont you, your probably thirsty."

The child is 11 months old. I am still very irritated..HOW do I deal with her?
Cat Herder 05:41 AM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
..HOW do I deal with her?
The truth and a backbone...

I wish there was an easy button, though.

I had a conversation with a DCM just this week that started with " ***, you know I love you but you are driving me nuts....."

It ended with me lending her a couple books to educate herself on child development, laughter until we both had tears in our eyes and I even got a present and sweet card yesterday.
wdmmom 06:07 AM 08-10-2011
I would send a newsletter out and say that for safety & personal reasons, pickups and dropoffs will take place at the door and if parents are wanting to discuss their childs attendance & enrollment, an after hours interview will need to be scheduled.

If anyone asks...tell them it's for insurance purposes.

I don't allow anyone beyond the foyer. I keep the doors locked so no one can just walk in.

In the afternoon, I have all kids ready to go about 15 minutes before their normal pickup and as soon as DCM or DCD pulls into the driveway, the door gets open, Lil Johnny is by me. By the time the parent gets to the door, it's "he had a great day! See you tomorrow!" and along their way they go!
cheerfuldom 06:24 AM 08-10-2011
You going to have to tell her exactly what you want. Pickup times are for picking up your child and leaving. Anything needing a longer discussion past a minute or two will need to be addressed by phone or email. As for the comments, thats probably just her way of trying to have a power trip, reminding you that you don't know how to take care of her child as good as she does. Just ignore the behavior.
MommyMuffin 06:36 AM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
You going to have to tell her exactly what you want. Pickup times are for picking up your child and leaving. Anything needing a longer discussion past a minute or two will need to be addressed by phone or email. As for the comments, thats probably just her way of trying to have a power trip, reminding you that you don't know how to take care of her child as good as she does. Just ignore the behavior.
That is exactly what I have been thinking of the comments.
But why does she have to put me down to make herself feel better? It really hurts my feelings. (I know I sound like a baby but honestly..not nice)

I will try to ignore it. It really gets under my skin!!! grrr. If she doesnt think I change his diaper or give him something to drink why doesnt she find someone who she think is capable of doing so. It makes me even more mad because he is a PT infant and I could be making 120 more a month if I let him go. I keep him because I like him.
rjskids 06:47 AM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Last week she comes and picks up her child and says he smells and that maybe he has a poopy diaper. She proceeds to get my changing pad and begins to change him, just to find out that his diaper is DRY. (I always change diapers!!)

Then the other day her child rolled on the floor crying when she came and she said "You want some water dont you, your probably thirsty."

The child is 11 months old. I am still very irritated..HOW do I deal with her?
I would have said "Maybe he needs a bath!?" (put it back on her) and as far as the parents making comments that they "think" are hints...I always just come back and say (even if they didn't) "Well, he just had a glass of water before you came!" I think parents THINK they know whats going on at your house and they drop hints to ya when they THINK they're child isn't getting enough to eat or drink or whatever. If only they knew how much we do cater to these kids!
cheerfuldom 07:07 AM 08-10-2011
yeah you could try responding back in an upbeat voice like she has a great idea....."he might need a drink, you'll have to do that as soon as you get home"
jen 09:16 AM 08-10-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The truth and a backbone...

I wish there was an easy button, though.

I had a conversation with a DCM just this week that started with " ***, you know I love you but you are driving me nuts....."

It ended with me lending her a couple books to educate herself on child development, laughter until we both had tears in our eyes and I even got a present and sweet card yesterday.
Love this!!!!
Cat Herder 09:45 AM 08-10-2011
Jen, I put a pic of it in my private album. I sent you a pm.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, pick up, pick up behavior, pick up policy, pick up time
Reply Up