Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Regression? Or Step Forward? Confused..
thecrazyisout 07:29 AM 10-19-2011
So my own Son is 2 years and 3 months. We started talking about the potty at the age of 2 and he really caught on to SOME of the aspects.... for about 6 weeks. Until recently he has been telling me every morning he needs to go #2 and have had no problems. I have been using a diaper every day since he is not "trained" to go pee pee. To be honest, I really thought he wasn't ready, but since he wanted to poop in the potty I was encouraging it.

Now, for the last 4-5 days he has been going #2 in his diaper again, and then refusing his diaper and fighting it...Today, I just decided to try putting him in undies to see if that is what he wants...he is doing ok so far, but I am so confused....I have never really potty trained a child, so this is new to me.

Any thoughts? This week I think I am going to just move into the full training for the full weekend and see if he takes it. I pretty well feel that he is ready, but now the #2 in the diaper thing makes me think he isn't.... I have a plan, for the weekend, but do you think he is ready?

I just don't want to do anything to hinder the process or make him feel like he is doing something wrong....
MNMum 12:36 PM 10-19-2011
This is my understanding and someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Try the underwear and see how it goes. I wouldn't say the poop in the diaper thing is a regression. Just remember to keep rewarding the achievements. Lots of praise and positive reinforcements. Whatever motivates your child. If there is an accident don't make a big deal about it, clean it up and move on. Then more positive reinforcement.

If he's not ready, it won't fly. Just don't make a big deal out of going back to diapers.
thecrazyisout 12:56 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by MNMum:
This is my understanding and someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Try the underwear and see how it goes. I wouldn't say the poop in the diaper thing is a regression. Just remember to keep rewarding the achievements. Lots of praise and positive reinforcements. Whatever motivates your child. If there is an accident don't make a big deal about it, clean it up and move on. Then more positive reinforcement.

If he's not ready, it won't fly. Just don't make a big deal out of going back to diapers.
Thanks, Will do and I have tried to make to whole process as positive as possible. We reward the accomplishments and if there is an accident, I tend to make no big deal about it. It is just so wierd that he is fighting the diapers, but so far today it has been ok. He has been in underwear and we have had accidents (#1), but no accidents with #2.

Thanks for the input!
Unregistered 12:58 PM 10-19-2011
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
So my own Son is 2 years and 3 months. We started talking about the potty at the age of 2 and he really caught on to SOME of the aspects.... for about 6 weeks. Until recently he has been telling me every morning he needs to go #2 and have had no problems. I have been using a diaper every day since he is not "trained" to go pee pee. To be honest, I really thought he wasn't ready, but since he wanted to poop in the potty I was encouraging it.

Now, for the last 4-5 days he has been going #2 in his diaper again, and then refusing his diaper and fighting it...Today, I just decided to try putting him in undies to see if that is what he wants...he is doing ok so far, but I am so confused....I have never really potty trained a child, so this is new to me.

Any thoughts? This week I think I am going to just move into the full training for the full weekend and see if he takes it. I pretty well feel that he is ready, but now the #2 in the diaper thing makes me think he isn't.... I have a plan, for the weekend, but do you think he is ready?

I just don't want to do anything to hinder the process or make him feel like he is doing something wrong....
I say this if they can show you they know how to use the potty then its time to throw the diapers out and dont look back. When I trained my own kids the boys where 2 and half and my little girl was 20 months old. I put them in undies they only wore pull ups at nap and bed time. I took them potty every hour and had them sit for 5 minutes lots of postive praise when they used the potty and when they went in there pants I told them big girls or boys dont pee or poop in there pants they use the potty. It took my boys about 2 weeks but only took my little girl 5 days. I say go for it sounds like he is ready and dont go back to diapers.
Tags:potty trained, potty trained - not, regression
Reply Up