Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Make Of This?
Ariana 04:13 PM 01-31-2012
Nevermind...
JenNJ 04:21 PM 01-31-2012
Honestly -- I think you are being a little rigid. A trip to grandma's and skipped naps are pretty normal weekend things that families do. I don't think that warrants and explanation to you. As a parent, I would be a little put off if my DCP was chastising me on Monday mornings for how we spent our weekend as a family.

As far as the snot goes -- she kept her home on Monday. If she was sick, she did as policies told her. It can take 7-10 days for that stuff to clear. Do you really expect parents to miss weeks of work everytime their kids nose runs? I am pretty surprised you exclude for green snot. If I did that, I would have a seasonal vacation from November through March The theory that green snot = infection has been disproved time and time again. It CAN be an indication of an infection but usually it is a symptom of the common cold. And sinus infections are not contagious. I get several each year and know an awful lot about sinus issues.
Ariana 04:52 PM 01-31-2012
Nevermind.....
seebachers 05:23 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by :
Honestly -- I think you are being a little rigid. A trip to grandma's and skipped naps are pretty normal weekend things that families do. I don't think that warrants and explanation to you. As a parent, I would be a little put off if my DCP was chastising me on Monday mornings for how we spent our weekend as a family.

As far as the snot goes -- she kept her home on Monday. If she was sick, she did as policies told her. It can take 7-10 days for that stuff to clear. Do you really expect parents to miss weeks of work everytime their kids nose runs? I am pretty surprised you exclude for green snot. If I did that, I would have a seasonal vacation from November through March The theory that green snot = infection has been disproved time and time again. It CAN be an indication of an infection but usually it is a symptom of the common cold. And sinus infections are not contagious. I get several each year and know an awful lot about sinus issues.
Today 04:13 PM

In absolute total agreement!!!
JenNJ 05:32 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Did you even read my post?!!

Her brother is at home with a sinus infection and she is now presenting with symptoms which means she may have one. If it's not contagious then that's a helluva coincidence!! colds that precede a sinus infection are contagious so even if she has a bad cold it's contagious and no one mentioned a cold to me ever. I don't chastize for how they spend their weekend I couldn't care less...I want to know so I can expect how my day will go and why she's being so tantrummy and in a bad mood and if she requires more from me. It's about communication. The mom failed to tell me on Monday that she was sick, didn't mention it, nada. This is actually the first time I've ever excluded for green snot so no it's not normal and runny clear noses are fine with me. These are my policies which they signed and agreed to, I can see that I wouldn't be providing care for your child and that's fine. This particular DCM is at home, not at work.
I did read your post and I offered an opinion -- which you asked for. I understand you are frustrated, but I'm not sure why you are so upset at me right now. I have no way of knowing if the mother is at home or at work. I can only offer an opinion based on your post.

Anyway, sinus infections are caused by cold viruses, allergies, smoke, air pollutants, sensitivity to perfumes/colognes and even nasal sprays. Some people are prone to them and others are not. You cannot "catch" a sinus infection. Yes, you can catch the cold that MAY lead to a sinus infection.

As a side note, even you were unsure of your own policy on green snot and said this was the first time you ever excluded anyone from care for it. If that is the case, then you are at fault for not enforcing your own policies. Parents only get away with what we allow them to get away with.

I understand that this is about communication to you. But in your OP you say that dad is instructed to make a quick drop off. How are they to communicate the lack of naps or other info to you if they are in and out that quickly?
JenNJ 05:37 PM 01-31-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Did you even read my post?!!

I can see that I wouldn't be providing care for your child and that's fine.
And I am a home daycare provider -- not a daycare parent.
countrymom 06:45 PM 01-31-2012
the crazy weekend happens here too. I just don't understand why parents do this to their children. As for the green snot, I wouldn't have called but would have said to dad that she needs to go see a dr. because its green. I've had kids with green snot that lasts 2 days and then its gone. I think she was sick, and I wonder if she was also medicated before she went to your house. If the brother is sick, I wonder why mom wouldn't bring the little girl to the drs too.
cheerfuldom 06:50 PM 01-31-2012
You are obviously really upset but honestly, what you described happens to all of us on a constant basis. the majority of us have at least one family that runs their kids ragged on the weekend or one family that may be masking illnesses or lying by omission. I would have just sent her home and thats that. No sense getting all worked up about something that you cant change. I agree that it is possible that mom was lying about Monday but you dont know for sure. If they are not on board with communicating their daughters needs or whatever, then it is up to you to decide if you can handle that long term or if you would rather work with other families. I just think you are taking this way to personally....maybe it is just me but that is the vibe I am getting
saved4always 07:48 PM 01-31-2012
If I excluded kids from daycare for colds, all my parents would lose their jobs and I wouldn't have any kids to watch. I have one dcg who has a runny nose, usually clear but sometimes a little green, every other week. And she coughs every other week, too. There is no way her parents could keep her home every time she has a cold...she almost always has a cold.
Ariana 09:22 PM 01-31-2012
ok one more time for the record!! I take care of kids with colds as well, like I said this is my first exclusion for green snot. I have also worked in centres for many years so I'm not new to any of this. It's in my policy book for a reason. Sick kids get green snot. I also understand why many of you don't exclude based on this and that's fine too, I'm not looking to argue my policies with anyone. My own daughter has had countless colds and never has she had green snot...maybe my kid is weird who knows! I also have been taking care of this particular kid since October and through a cold before Christmas and no green snot, so go figure.

Anyway thank you Cheerfuldom and countrymom for your support!! I think the whole point of my post was not to bring up my apparently "insane" policies but to talk about whether these parents are lying to me. I won't tolerate it because it's not how I conduct my business. I asked the dad to his face and he said she didn't have a cold on the weekend. So she magically got green snotty nose and a croupy cough at my house. I don't want to assume they're lying so I wrote this post to see what others make of this. It's helpful to know that others have gone through this. I'm not sure why I'm upset about it but it bothers me when people lie to me....is that strange? I feel like some sort of weirdo here!!

Anyhoo I'll deal with it from here.....
Ariana 09:30 PM 01-31-2012
Nevermind....
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 02-01-2012
Hun, I was unable to read your original post so I cannot offer any advice or my opinion but I do want to say that when you post something, please don't think you are ever wrong for doing so. We all do things differently and we all read, digest and reply differently based on our own individual interpretations of the situation.

When you have a disagreement with another poster or even a huge difference of opinion, others can learn from that. Doesn't make either if you right or wrong. Just two different people with two different opinions and views....which IS what makes the world go round.

No post is ever useless and many others find comfort in knowing that there are providers out there who feel the same as they do, which is a vital aspect of this business....having others to connect to in some way shape or form. Helps with the lonliness of working alone all day.

So anywho, I just wanted to say, please don't ever be discouraged enough to simply delete and walk away.... you may have taken what little connection or comfort your post provided away from another provider somewhere out there.....
GretasLittleFriends 07:31 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Hun, I was unable to read your original post so I cannot offer any advice or my opinion but I do want to say that when you post something, please don't think you are ever wrong for doing so. We all do things differently and we all read, digest and reply differently based on our own individual interpretations of the situation.

When you have a disagreement with another poster or even a huge difference of opinion, others can learn from that. Doesn't make either if you right or wrong. Just two different people with two different opinions and views....which IS what makes the world go round.

No post is ever useless and many others find comfort in knowing that there are providers out there who feel the same as they do, which is a vital aspect of this business....having others to connect to in some way shape or form. Helps with the lonliness of working alone all day.

So anywho, I just wanted to say, please don't ever be discouraged enough to simply delete and walk away.... you may have taken what little connection or comfort your post provided away from another provider somewhere out there.....
What wonderful advice!!!!
Ariana 07:34 AM 02-01-2012

I do agree and last night I was feeling angry and hurt which is why I deleted my post. The post was going nowhere and turned into an attack on my personal policies, not about my original question so I thought there really was no point to it. I have no issues with people who disagree with me or have a different point of view but when that point of view has nothing to do with the original question, the monotony of defending yourself over and over takes away from the point kwim? Anyway we'll leave it at that
My3cents 08:14 AM 02-01-2012

This is good- I am trying to make heads or tails of this post and all I am reading is nevermind. Please don't waste my time with that response or any like it....
Blackcat is right on with this. Have not always agreed with many people here but that's not going to stop me from posting, responding, etc... this place keeps me going during the day- the good and the bad. The difference in opinion makes me think, reevaluate and opens up possibilities of another way of doing things.
Christian Mother 08:15 AM 02-01-2012
I hope you feel better today Ariana!

All my kids have been sick this week. I am making no money this week.

But on the bright side all the parents have either kept the kids home and let me know that their sick, took them to the doctor, and following my handbook....that is super good news to me!

I would be frustrated to if i wasn't given the whole story or the truth of it from the parents. I've learned that some of the father's are kind of clueless on talking to us daycare parents...they love to drop and run or are shy. Others are very communicative and like to talk. But I get where your coming at.

Just a side note..all my kids but 1 have that stupid stomach virus that keeps coming around and has hit the daycare twice now and I just got notified that one kiddo has hand, foot, and mouth disease..
I've never had that in daycare before and i am sure the parents think it came from here...it might of but no one so far but this child has it. They where here last week wend and fri. looks like I'll be cleaning extra this weekend after he leaves as he is released back into care fri. I pray no one else gets it!
Tags:adjustment period, forum cycle, illness policy, monday, retraining day, tantrums
Reply Up