Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Revamping Illness Policy
mim 04:15 AM 10-13-2014
In light of all the illnesses that are going around now. Enterovirus 68 I think it is and Ebola. I am wanting to send out my illness policy. It has all the regular stuff in it. No fever over 100.0 no throw up no diarrhea. Etc.
I want to write a letter letting them know I wont tolorate dope and drops and if the kid gets sent home sick they must be gone for 48 hrs.
How would you go about it and I what would you say in the letter?
Thank for your help.
Blackcat31 08:12 AM 10-13-2014
I send out a letter every year, reminding parents of my illness policies and what they need to do if their child is sick. It also touches on the "blame game" where they want to blame daycare or other kids for everything their kid picked up.

I PM'ed it to you and you are welcome to use it/tweak it or whatever to fit your needs if you want.
AmyKidsCo 09:31 AM 10-13-2014
Could you PM it to me too please? An acquaintance sends home bags with her illness policies and tissues, hand sanitizer, etc. She calls it the Sickness Season Survival Kit.
sahm1225 12:04 PM 10-13-2014
And pm me too please blackcat
SignMeUp 12:09 PM 10-13-2014
Hmm. BlackCat, having just had a case of "she got it from that kid" I'm interested in knowing your policy for the "blame game".

(Um, "that kid" is one of your child's best friends! And it's rude to say that and point at a child, especially a four-year-old who is listening to your whole conversation)

Not one of my better Mondays
Blackcat31 01:03 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
And pm me too please blackcat

Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
Hmm. BlackCat, having just had a case of "she got it from that kid" I'm interested in knowing your policy for the "blame game".

(Um, "that kid" is one of your child's best friends! And it's rude to say that and point at a child, especially a four-year-old who is listening to your whole conversation)

Not one of my better Mondays
Sent to both of you
BrooklynM 01:12 PM 10-13-2014
Can you PM it to me as well Blackcat? I need to be a little more specific with mine.

Thank you!
Dilley Beans 01:58 PM 10-13-2014
BC, I would love a copy of your letter as well...from what I have read of your work, you are to the point, stern but polite and fair. We could all use a copy I suspect.

Baby Beluga 02:03 PM 10-13-2014
Me as well, please?

I'm thinking BC needs her own sub form where she can put her letters and forms
Michael 02:28 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Me as well, please?

I'm thinking BC needs her own sub form where she can put her letters and forms
We do have a place for forms and uploads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
Controlled Chaos 02:47 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Could you PM it to me too please? An acquaintance sends home bags with her illness policies and tissues, hand sanitizer, etc. She calls it the Sickness Season Survival Kit.
I love this idea! I am going to make up some bags this week. Great way to remind dcps of the policy without looking like a nag

How does everyone deal with the "that kid" blame game?
SignMeUp 03:05 PM 10-13-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sent to both of you
Thanks, Kat Can we think of a more Halloween-esque name for you?
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 10-13-2014
Here is my Illness Policy Reminder letter:

Dear Daycare Parents;

This is the time of year that common colds, respiratory illnesses and other winter time ailments seem to occur rather frequently. In order to prevent the continuous passing back and forth of these illnesses, I would like to take a moment to reiterate my illness policies.

I will do my best to keep the child care environment clean, sanitized and free of germs to the best of my ability. However, in order to be as diligent as possible in eliminating continuous back and forth sharing, it is extremely important that you do your part as a parent.

When your child is feeling ill, I FULLY expect you to be proactive in doing whatever is necessary to help your child overcome their illness and be as healthy as possible. This includes keeping them home if they are not feeling well enough to participate, providing a regular bedtime allowing for adequate rest as well as eating healthy meals/snacks and keeping the on-the-go weekends to a minimum.

Should your child exhibit any of the signs or symptoms of illness while in daycare, I will notify you immediately. You will be expected to have your child picked up within 30 minutes. If you are unable to leave work, you will need to have a reliable back up provider that is able to come for your child. If your child is not picked up within the 30 minutes of allotted time, you will be charged a late fee of $1 per minute.

Please use your best judgment when deciding if your child is well enough to attend care. Please understand that what may seem like minor symptoms at home are increased 10 fold when in a group of other loud rambunctious children. Also keep in mind that should your child be sent home from care, they must remain home for 48 hours AFTER symptoms reside without the use of any medications or fever reducers. Choosing to keep your child home on your own requires the standard 24 hours of being symptom free.

Being part of a group childcare means doing what is best for the group as a whole. Please be considerate of this. I fully understand that some illnesses are not preventable and I do sympathize with you when you need to take a day off to be with your child. However, when illnesses are continually passed back and forth the average amount of days off per parent is around 4 versus having to take only one day when being proactive.

I also want to remind everyone that I will NOT play the blame game when trying to pinpoint where an illness came from. ALL parents work in the public sector and there are so many different ways to get and carry illnesses and germs that blaming one person is simply not acceptable or logical in anyway.
Attached is a copy of my illness policy.

Please remember this policy was discussed in depth and agreed to by both parties upon enrollment.

Tags:illness policy, illness policy - samples
Reply Up