Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Revise Your Policies, How Do You Do It?
Liliya 04:06 PM 05-08-2011
If you remember the upset parents that gave me a low score on the evaluation form and I had a meeting with them,
So from that meeting I found out that they are unhappy with me,about a few things,
First that I changed my opening hours from 6:30 to 7:00, it happened in January 2010 and they never said anything about that, when they started with me their child was here at 6:30,then for a couple of months before I changed my hours they were coming at 7 or later,so I had no idea that they would be upset about that. And I am sure if they told me right away that they still needed me at 6:30, I could have figured something out. Now I feel like if I want to change something I have to ask my current client if they would be Ok with it.
Also they feel like I do not give them enough information about the child's day, like what activities he did,what did he learned , the mom wants to know what should she do at home with him to help him learn.
I was kind of shocked ,because I send newsletters every month with our monthly themes,letters,,numbers,,if we have a birthday party or any holiday celebrations it is in the newsletter. I tell her everyday if they were good, or not behaving well. How much information do you give parents?
In August I will send a few kids to kindergarten,so I want to revise my policies for new clients, I am not changing much,but want to add 3 more holidays.
So,what do I do with my current clients?? do I ask them if they will be ok with that or I give them option not to pay for these days? how do you do it?
Please help,
Thanks much.
wdmmom 04:26 PM 05-08-2011
I recently revised all my policies...especially my illness policy.

I emailed all the families to let them know that changes had been made and to review the website for a complete listing of the new and updated policies. I also have it in my contract that rules and regulations are subject to change and does not cancel or void it.
nannyde 05:02 PM 05-08-2011
Can I ask what your original agreement was? Did you offer educational activities and conferencing regarding the childrens learning?

How old are the kids?

For extra holidays I would just not charge the ones I had an agreement with and add it into the contract of the new people. I don't ever change paid days off once we make a deal.

The change of hours from over a year ago shouldn't even be discussed now. They have had plenty of time to ask for a change back. It sounds to me like they are really stretching to come up with a reason for their bad eval but really she is just mad because she got a no.
Liliya 05:32 PM 05-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can I ask what your original agreement was? Did you offer educational activities and conferencing regarding the childrens learning?

How old are the kids?

For extra holidays I would just not charge the ones I had an agreement with and add it into the contract of the new people. I don't ever change paid days off once we make a deal.

The change of hours from over a year ago shouldn't even be discussed now. They have had plenty of time to ask for a change back. It sounds to me like they are really stretching to come up with a reason for their bad eval but really she is just mad because she got a no.
This is what in my policies,
Program:
These are some of the things that we fit into our days:
Free play
Story time
Daily outdoor play
Cooking
Small and large muscle activities
Individual quiet or nap time
Dramatic play activities
Arts and crafts

I never said that I will give them a progress report,or something like that.
Oldest child is 3,5 years old, and youngest almost 2.
She is more concern about older one.
I should say that he is very active,little trouble maker and most of the time he would not participate in activities.
nannyde 05:52 PM 05-08-2011
Originally Posted by Liliya:
This is what in my policies,
Program:
These are some of the things that we fit into our days:
Free play
Story time
Daily outdoor play
Cooking
Small and large muscle activities
Individual quiet or nap time
Dramatic play activities
Arts and crafts

I never said that I will give them a progress report,or something like that.
Oldest child is 3,5 years old, and youngest almost 2.
She is more concern about older one.
I should say that he is very active,little trouble maker and most of the time he would not participate in activities.
Can I ask are you a teacher?
Liliya 06:14 PM 05-08-2011
Can I ask are you a teacher?
No,,I am not
meganlavonnesmommy 06:27 PM 05-08-2011
It's a bit of work, but I send home an info sheet for each child. The parents love it. It just takes a few minutes each day, but it really helps pass information along.
Sometimes pick up time can be really hectic. Especially if we are outside playing in the afternoons. This way I dont need to say anything to the parents except hello and goodbye. All the information they need is on the sheet.
It's about 1/4 of a page, pre-printed, and then I just fill in the blanks and I fill out one for each child. I put it next to their sign in sheet that I have them sign the child out with.

It has their name and the date, a section for food (breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack), I fill in what we ate for each meal/snack, and how they ate (none, some, most, all), it has a section for what times they napped, a section for diapers ( i write down what time I changed them and if it was wet or BM), and a other info section. The last section is where I write down things we did that day, or special information like if they are out of diapers, or need a another set of clothes sent in for the next day.

I try to write something each day, even if its something simple like " we played outside and had a puppet show".
Liliya 06:31 PM 05-08-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
It's a bit of work, but I send home an info sheet for each child. The parents love it. It just takes a few minutes each day, but it really helps pass information along.
Sometimes pick up time can be really hectic. Especially if we are outside playing in the afternoons. This way I dont need to say anything to the parents except hello and goodbye. All the information they need is on the sheet.
It's about 1/4 of a page, pre-printed, and then I just fill in the blanks and I fill out one for each child. I put it next to their sign in sheet that I have them sign the child out with.

It has their name and the date, a section for food (breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack), I fill in what we ate for each meal/snack, and how they ate (none, some, most, all), it has a section for what times they napped, a section for diapers ( i write down what time I changed them and if it was wet or BM), and a other info section. The last section is where I write down things we did that day, or special information like if they are out of diapers, or need a another set of clothes sent in for the next day.

I try to write something each day, even if its something simple like " we played outside and had a puppet show".
I have a same form,but not for older kids,and I do not have section that says "what we did." I have a schedule posted of what we do every day.
nannyde 06:35 PM 05-08-2011
Originally Posted by Liliya:
No,,I am not
It sounds like you may be caught up in the current notion that child care and preschool education are one and the same. Offering educational activities is very different from providing an education for kids.

I would be honest with the Mom and tell her that you don't know how to guide her regarding her sons learning. Your role is just to offer stories, art activities and free play. You aren't trained to educate children and certainly not to evaluate them.

If she is concerned about his learning maybe she should consider putting him in an educational program where the adults are trained and paid to educate him, evaluate him, and provide conferences regarding his progress.
Liliya 07:31 PM 05-08-2011
It sounds like you may be caught up in the current notion that child care and preschool education are one and the same. Offering educational activities is very different from providing an education for kids.

I would be honest with the Mom and tell her that you don't know how to guide her regarding her sons learning. Your role is just to offer stories, art activities and free play. You aren't trained to educate children and certainly not to evaluate them.

If she is concerned about his learning maybe she should consider putting him in an educational program where the adults are trained and paid to educate him, evaluate him, and provide conferences regarding his progress.
Thank you so much,I will be writing them a e-mail.
WDW 08:53 AM 05-09-2011
I have not read the entire chain of replies, but to answer your question about how do others change their policies for existing families... I revise/update my rates and contract once a year, for all families. This last year I added the addition of being paid for the Friday after Thankgiving and for Christmas Eve. (I had always been closed on these two days, just hadn't been paid prior to this change). I considered it when I re-evaluated my rates and just considered it part of my income. I only had one family say anything about it, and I offered her the choice of paying the holidays, or giving back two of her "free" days - same difference to me really. In the end she opted to pay the new holidays. Just one perspective. It really is another way to give yourself a raise, and you deservie that, from all your families, not just your new ones.
jojosmommy 11:42 AM 05-09-2011
All contracts are updated March 15 due back by April 1st and effective April 15th. I just give them a new one and they sign them. I guess I don't give them the option of going along with it. IF they choose not to then they can begin looking for other care. I have never had an issue, even when raising rates. Otherwise you have to manage who said it was ok to have x day as a holiday and who wants a refund etc. In my house it is what it is.

Only had one person complain and that is my sister but she complains no matter what so I am still getting paid what I think is fair and making my policies suit my business needs.
ChaserT27 05:33 PM 05-10-2011
If you are changing major policies such as days off etc. Your best bet is to re=create your contracts and have them sign them. Be clear maybe with a cover letter that they can discuss any and all changes with you before they sign.
I have made several changes over the years in all categories and have never had an issue doing this way. I also give them 60-90 days before changes are in effect unless it is State regulated or a Health / Safety Issue. I sometimes even go as far as explaining why the change is being made. Some parents you can get away with things like this, others you need detail. Use your best judgment to decide. I can not believe after a year, they just now are saying something. Most of my clients (except the newest ones) are pretty open with me. But like I said..with every detail of my program..I keep open communication.

As far as education ~ Nanny De in my state..we are actually required to teach them certain educational subjects with or with out training. :0( Some subjects daily, some weekly etc. They actually have us explain our curriculum and schedules during our license visits. In my state the only difference between center and home..is the building and staff LOL

Good Luck with your new changes! :0)
Tags:policy, policy - revisions
Reply Up