Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Totally Played By An 8 Year Old!
AfterSchoolMom 01:01 PM 05-13-2011
Yep, I should know better.

I've been helping this SA with homework nearly every day. This child has shown hesitation when reading and has been asking me to read the directions, problems, etc. aloud to them daily. It really seemed as if they were having trouble, so I've been doing that when asked.

Today I found out that this same child is halfway through the 3rd Harry Potter book, as evidenced by the in depth discussion that they're having with my own child (who is on book 5 right now). A quick email to Mom confirmed it.
PitterPatter 01:35 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
Yep, I should know better.

I've been helping this SA with homework nearly every day. This child has shown hesitation when reading and has been asking me to read the directions, problems, etc. aloud to them daily. It really seemed as if they were having trouble, so I've been doing that when asked.

Today I found out that this same child is halfway through the 3rd Harry Potter book, as evidenced by the in depth discussion that they're having with my own child (who is on book 5 right now). A quick email to Mom confirmed it.
LOL Been there! With MY own kid!! He will read anything about video games or legos, magazines etc but homework he doesn't understand can I read it for him.
GretasLittleFriends 01:44 PM 05-13-2011
I had a second grader try this to me, knowing FULL WELL, she could read. I walked over to her, stood behind her, and made up words, similar to what was on the paper. She got mad and said "No, it says....." "Huh, I thought you couldn't read?" She turned red in the face and hasn't tried to dupe me in a while. She'll try anything on anyone once. I swear she seems to believe each person she has ever met (adults included) fell off the turnip truck the day before. Her parents are wonderful and the stories we exchange about this one are incredible and unbelievable. The girl has a great big heart though, so really can't complain too much.
QualiTcare 01:45 PM 05-13-2011
you may not have been played. reading for pleasure and reading to understand a problem are totally different. lots of people read for pleasure, but they could read a book all day long for study purposes and not retain a bit of it. some people are auditory learners - they retain what they hear aloud. some people have to actually DO with their hands. just saying.
AfterSchoolMom 02:01 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
you may not have been played. reading for pleasure and reading to understand a problem are totally different. lots of people read for pleasure, but they could read a book all day long for study purposes and not retain a bit of it. some people are auditory learners - they retain what they hear aloud. some people have to actually DO with their hands. just saying.
I hear you, and you're right, but not in the case of this child, believe me.
youretooloud 02:09 PM 05-13-2011
I can't understand written directions if my life absolutely depended on it. For some reason, if it doesn't have pictures (like Ikea directions) I can't comprehend a word of it. But, if I hear it, I'm fine.
daycare 02:10 PM 05-13-2011
Smart kid got someone to do something for him he knew he could!! Haha
Little bugger. Lol
Kaddidle Care 03:09 PM 05-13-2011
Yes, yes - what she said! Sometimes it helps to have instructions read to you - it depends on what type of learner you are.
This child may be reading Harry Potter aloud as well.

You're doing homework with this child? I'd leave that for the parents to go over with them - unless of course you like doing it. I think it's important for the parents to see what's going on and what's shakey with their child and homework is there for that reason.
GretasLittleFriends 04:54 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Yes, yes - what she said! Sometimes it helps to have instructions read to you - it depends on what type of learner you are.
This child may be reading Harry Potter aloud as well.

You're doing homework with this child? I'd leave that for the parents to go over with them - unless of course you like doing it. I think it's important for the parents to see what's going on and what's shakey with their child and homework is there for that reason.
I have my kids do some of their homework too. I leave the reading aloud to the parents. And usually about half the math. I have one little guy that needs to write his spelling words three times. Some times he does all three rows, sometimes one or two, just depends on what's going on.

I go through each of their homework folders when they get here. I update the parent on what Little Johnny brought from school for homework, what he finished here, how much help he needed, and what I'm still leaving for them to do. If a kid really doesn't understand something, I usually leave it for the parents to explain since they should know that the child isn't understanding.

Pick-up is about 6, then they go home, eat dinner, and bed by 8 that doesn't give a lot of time for family time. Part of the reason I do this is for my own kids too. They can do their homework right away, then get family time (mom's attention without daycare kids) after dinner and before bedtime.
Kaddidle Care 08:15 PM 05-13-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I go through each of their homework folders when they get here. I update the parent on what Little Johnny brought from school for homework, what he finished here, how much help he needed, and what I'm still leaving for them to do. If a kid really doesn't understand something, I usually leave it for the parents to explain since they should know that the child isn't understanding.

Pick-up is about 6, then they go home, eat dinner, and bed by 8 that doesn't give a lot of time for family time. Part of the reason I do this is for my own kids too. They can do their homework right away, then get family time (mom's attention without daycare kids) after dinner and before bedtime.
The bolded part... You're making it too easy on them!

As far as your own kids, I totally get it.

BTW, love, love, LOVE Harry Potter!
jen2651 07:25 PM 05-15-2011
I always used to get in trouble in school because I had to read the directions out loud. Thank goodness someone realized that I wasn't just being annoying! I would ask to sit out in the hall for tests with more than 2 math word problems. Finally I figured out that if I just moved my lips (SUPER ANNOYING TO ANYONE WATCHING) I was fine!
Tags:clever, manipulated, slick child
Reply Up