Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Seeking Kids
Heidi 01:21 PM 05-30-2012
so, I noticed my new dcb (2 1/2) is a sensory seeker. While he was visiting, he touched EVERYTHING.

I've been doing a little research, and it's possible he may have SPD. Besides touching everything, he also seemed unfocused (even for a 2 yo), made little eye contact with mom, and oh, he's adopted from an orphanage.

Obviously, he has to actually start here, then be referred to someone for a diagnosis. Maybe, once he's here on his own and not with 2 adults trying to hold a conversation, he'll "settle down". But, something tells me to be prepared. So, I'd like to plan some positive outlets for him.

You know...it's not ok to touch Heidi's coffee maker, but it is ok to....

So, if anyone has any experience with sensory seekers (or El Characho, as we like to call these guys in German/made up Spanish), or, if you just have some good sensory play ideas, please share. Especially a few that are YES sensory, but LESS messy.

sand and water...check
fingerpainting...check
clay, playdough, etc...check
lots of outdoor time...check

I need more!

Blackcat31 01:32 PM 05-30-2012
fabric is another good sensory activity. We have pillows and scraps of material in different weight, textures and such.

We have scraps of fabric stuffed into old tissue boxes so the kids can take them out like tissues and feel them, play with them, toss them, rub them and anything else they want. My DCK's love them and play with them often.

Here is a great web-site about sensory disorders and activities you can do to build skills and fill their sensory needs. http://www.sensory-processing-disord...ctivities.html
Lyss 01:52 PM 05-30-2012
I'm working my way through these ideas: http://craftyteacher.blogspot.com/20...ory-table.html
Countrygal 01:57 PM 05-30-2012
Textures everywhere! Food, toys, posters, crafts, you name it. These kids love textures and smells!

Make "smelly" fingerpaints, for example, or put a little sand in them for texture. Anything you can do like that.

My youngest was VERY sensory. She, to this day, cannot smell a bouquet of flowers without sticking her nose in so it touches them.

I'm a little like this. I LOVE smells and when on a nature walk, for example, I love to touch the leaves, grass, bark, and smell the smells of the plants. We went on a nature walk today and I think I shared about half a dozen smells and we talked all about texture and felt all of the different plants. This isn't just good for your sensory guy, but for everyone! AND it's fun!!! You'll be surprised at how pretty soon everyone will be "smelling" thing more and touching them more!

As for his being adopted - since I am raising my gs, he is basically in the same category as your new boy. He does not live with his birth parents. There could be any number of issues with your dc boy - everything from pre-natal issues like drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc to reactive attachment issues. I'd quiz the parents really well about it all first. If they have adopted, they probably know a lot of his history and probably are familiar with the possible hurdles he'll be facing.

As far as the SPD - I'm going to be honest, here, hope that's OK. I don't know how you could possibly even suspect a specific disorder in this short of a period of time and get it accurate. IMO only. I have a friend with sensory processing disorder. She cannot stand to touch paper. She can't tolerate certain sounds. While she IS hyper-sensitive, it is something that makes touching or hearing unpleasant. If anything LOOKS like paper she will not touch it. It's sort of like fingernails on a chalkboard only carried to extremes. It doesn't sound like your dcb from your description. Some kids are just VERY touchy-feely. It's how they learn. It is a learning style.

OK, that's my 2cents worth and it prolly isn't even worth the 2 cents! But if it helps at all, I'm glad. It's just my opinions. {{HUGS}}
Heidi 03:03 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Textures everywhere! Food, toys, posters, crafts, you name it. These kids love textures and smells!

Make "smelly" fingerpaints, for example, or put a little sand in them for texture. Anything you can do like that.

My youngest was VERY sensory. She, to this day, cannot smell a bouquet of flowers without sticking her nose in so it touches them.

I'm a little like this. I LOVE smells and when on a nature walk, for example, I love to touch the leaves, grass, bark, and smell the smells of the plants. We went on a nature walk today and I think I shared about half a dozen smells and we talked all about texture and felt all of the different plants. This isn't just good for your sensory guy, but for everyone! AND it's fun!!! You'll be surprised at how pretty soon everyone will be "smelling" thing more and touching them more!

As for his being adopted - since I am raising my gs, he is basically in the same category as your new boy. He does not live with his birth parents. There could be any number of issues with your dc boy - everything from pre-natal issues like drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc to reactive attachment issues. I'd quiz the parents really well about it all first. If they have adopted, they probably know a lot of his history and probably are familiar with the possible hurdles he'll be facing.

As far as the SPD - I'm going to be honest, here, hope that's OK. I don't know how you could possibly even suspect a specific disorder in this short of a period of time and get it accurate. IMO only. I have a friend with sensory processing disorder. She cannot stand to touch paper. She can't tolerate certain sounds. While she IS hyper-sensitive, it is something that makes touching or hearing unpleasant. If anything LOOKS like paper she will not touch it. It's sort of like fingernails on a chalkboard only carried to extremes. It doesn't sound like your dcb from your description. Some kids are just VERY touchy-feely. It's how they learn. It is a learning style.

OK, that's my 2cents worth and it prolly isn't even worth the 2 cents! But if it helps at all, I'm glad. It's just my opinions. {{HUGS}}
If I didn't say it, he's adopted from a foreign orphanage. You know, 40 babies to a caregiver; that sort of thing.

I am definately NOT diagnosing. Just preparing for behaviors I witnessed. There are many types of SPD, one of which is sensory seeking. It's kind of the polar opposite of what your friend has.

We have a very sensory family, and my best friend's children are fully on the SPD train...1 hyper sensitive, 2 hypo sensitive, all diagnosed by a neuropsycologist.

not feeling bad...just clarifying
Willow 03:17 PM 05-30-2012
How long has he been with the family and out of the orphanage situation?

Could he just have been really isolated and now is overwhelmed by all there is to see, do and experience?

Reason I ask is I've had kids come to me that literally never had childrens toys. Short of playing with dvd boxes and kitchen tupperware they had nada. Didn't know such colorful and fun things even existed.

I hope your new guy makes the adjustment well and ends up being ok after all he's likely been through
Heidi 03:35 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
How long has he been with the family and out of the orphanage situation?

Could he just have been really isolated and now is overwhelmed by all there is to see, do and experience?

Reason I ask is I've had kids come to me that literally never had childrens toys. Short of playing with dvd boxes and kitchen tupperware they had nada. Didn't know such colorful and fun things even existed.

I hope your new guy makes the adjustment well and ends up being ok after all he's likely been through
The family have had him and older sis for almost a year, and they are currently in a dc center. I don't know which one, but mom said the teachers were good, but the place was a bit chaotic.

I am SO excited about having these kiddos! They seem very sweet, the family is super nice, and I think they will totally work WITH me if there are any issues.

I got to meet the kids 2x, and both times, I saw the same behaviors. Kind of hard to explain...except maybe "bull in a china shop". Could be a LOT of things..new place, new faces, mom trying to have a serious discussion. There was just something about his mannerisms that struck me, and I have never had a kid touch EVERYTHING. That and the total lack of eye contact (with mom, dad, and me) made me think that this may be a challenge. I do love a challenge, just want to be ready with ideas!
Willow 03:52 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
The family have had him and older sis for almost a year, and they are currently in a dc center. I don't know which one, but mom said the teachers were good, but the place was a bit chaotic.

I am SO excited about having these kiddos! They seem very sweet, the family is super nice, and I think they will totally work WITH me if there are any issues.

I got to meet the kids 2x, and both times, I saw the same behaviors. Kind of hard to explain...except maybe "bull in a china shop". Could be a LOT of things..new place, new faces, mom trying to have a serious discussion. There was just something about his mannerisms that struck me, and I have never had a kid touch EVERYTHING. That and the total lack of eye contact (with mom, dad, and me) made me think that this may be a challenge. I do love a challenge, just want to be ready with ideas!

Trust your gut, if something is off it probably is.

If you're not seeing any eye contact start researching attachment disorders in general, not just RAD. Lots of kids that come out of a bad situation, put into a new one that's wonderful and nurturing will cross into the lesser known ones.

Bless your heart for being open to helping them instead of shying away because of potential issues. Working with kids with backgrounds like that can be tremendously rewarding, and you can have a GIANT impact if the parents are proactive in working with you as a team to help them overcome their struggles

I hope you update on how it goes
SunshineMama 03:53 PM 05-30-2012
I like packaging bubbles and aluminum foil to mix it up.

From what I have researched, if he was adopted before 9 months then their nature will not be affected by neglect from overpopulated foreign orphanages. Children adopted later are very likely to be disconnected from their family and have emotional issues, even with therapy.
Willow 04:04 PM 05-30-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

From what I have researched, if he was adopted before 9 months then their nature will not be affected by neglect from overpopulated foreign orphanages. Children adopted later are very likely to be disconnected from their family and have emotional issues, even with therapy.

If at any point in a childs life their physical or emotional needs go unmet it can cause anywhere from attachment issues on up through to full blown disorders and other mental illness that'll span the child's lifetime regardless of intense interventions. In infants brains (far less than 9 months old) the physical toll of the mental trauma can literally be seen on PET scans. And it's not just neglect or institutionalization that can cause it, simply suffering from an undiagnosed and untreated painful illness such as reflux can have similar and devastating results.
Heidi 06:04 AM 05-31-2012
From what I could see, he is attached. He sat on mom's lap periodically and snuggled, although not long and not really sitting "still". These parents are very educated on what issues their kiddos COULD have. They went into this eyes wide open.

My only goal here is to be prepared. His sister was a bit scattered too, but I would say that was more "normal" excitement. I want to start out on a positive note and keep it that way. So, I am looking for "do this instead" ideas...

I was hoping someone here had experience with this type of kid (diagnosed or not), and maybe had some success in helping them channel all that energy positively.
Unregistered 10:47 AM 06-01-2012
I have a son who is 2 1/2 he has many sensory disorders, from textures that he eats, to auditory sensitivity. Everything new to him, he has to touch on his nose, if it tickles, well in his sense, it's good. He also lacks eye contact with others. And he is okay with watching others play and playing alone, I tell you all of this to also say, my son has been diagnosed high function autism. I am not saying the tiny tot in your care is autistic, just telling you some of the great input we have been given since diagnosis. with very little cost or mess.

We have parmasan cheese containers with colored art puffs, they're soft for touch, teach colors and we count with them. ( cost empty container free puffs large bag 4.00 and can use for many projects)
Child size handful of play dough
Tissue paper tearing and then use it to create a collage
We took out grown shirts with a stain or that couldn't be handed down, cut into 2 identical squares and made bean bags and other such articles added rice and another with cotton balls, very economical, the shirts were trash anyway. The various bags create various textures and weight. Also have used old pant legs to create "snakes" weighted pressure can be soothing.
Instead of an overwhelming sand box, an aluminum baking pan, with 2 handfuls of sand, just enough to touch and sense but not over stimulate.
You may find that the child likes toys that mimick a vibration, like that of a car in motion or the sound reverbs when the toy is dropped on the floor. Plastic egg shakers.
Possibly the child will have a favorite blanket, most likely very soft, more fleece like.
I hope some of these ideas help, they are very economical so you don't have to limit it to just the sensory seeking child all of the children can be included.
Heidi 11:36 AM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a son who is 2 1/2 he has many sensory disorders, from textures that he eats, to auditory sensitivity. Everything new to him, he has to touch on his nose, if it tickles, well in his sense, it's good. He also lacks eye contact with others. And he is okay with watching others play and playing alone, I tell you all of this to also say, my son has been diagnosed high function autism. I am not saying the tiny tot in your care is autistic, just telling you some of the great input we have been given since diagnosis. with very little cost or mess.

We have parmasan cheese containers with colored art puffs, they're soft for touch, teach colors and we count with them. ( cost empty container free puffs large bag 4.00 and can use for many projects)
We took out grown shirts with a stain or that couldn't be handed down, cut into 2 identical squares and made bean bags and other such articles added rice and another with cotton balls, very economical, the shirts were trash anyway. The various bags create various textures and weight. Also have used old pant legs to create "snakes" weighted pressure can be soothing.
Instead of an overwhelming sand box, an aluminum baking pan, with 2 handfuls of sand, just enough to touch and sense but not over stimulate.
You may find that the child likes toys that mimick a vibration, like that of a car in motion or the sound reverbs when the toy is dropped on the floor. Plastic egg shakers.
Possibly the child will have a favorite blanket, most likely very soft, more fleece like.
I hope some of these ideas help, they are very economical so you don't have to limit it to just the sensory seeking child all of the children can be included.
Thank you! I will add these and the other's from the links above to my list. I would naturally offer these activities to all the children.

I've heard that weighted vests can be helpful. Do you have any experience with that?

I plan on having a few things ready when he starts, and just keeping an eye on the situation for a few weeks. Like I said before, perhaps he was just over-excited on his visits.
jojosmommy 12:11 PM 06-01-2012
I didnt read all the posts but I did have a relatable story. I had two children in my classroom (pre-k) a few years back that were adopted from Poland. They were obsessed with touching everything, they would flick the light switches over and over and over, they loved the feeling of courdoury and fleece. Dad was very upfront telling us that since they had had such limited experiences in the orphanage they were basically at the developmental age of a 9-12 month old. Not in a cognitive sense, they were both very bright, but more in the exploration stage where babies need to touch and or mouth everything to really understand how it works. I had them both in my classroom for a few years until they were 5 and 6 years old and going to Kindy. They both outgrew much of the need to constantly feel things but it was real interesting to see how they used their senses to really learn from a beginning level how things worked.

Maybe this is what your little guy is going through. How upfront are the parents with his current needs?
Heidi 12:36 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I didnt read all the posts but I did have a relatable story. I had two children in my classroom (pre-k) a few years back that were adopted from Poland. They were obsessed with touching everything, they would flick the light switches over and over and over, they loved the feeling of courdoury and fleece. Dad was very upfront telling us that since they had had such limited experiences in the orphanage they were basically at the developmental age of a 9-12 month old. Not in a cognitive sense, they were both very bright, but more in the exploration stage where babies need to touch and or mouth everything to really understand how it works. I had them both in my classroom for a few years until they were 5 and 6 years old and going to Kindy. They both outgrew much of the need to constantly feel things but it was real interesting to see how they used their senses to really learn from a beginning level how things worked.

Maybe this is what your little guy is going through. How upfront are the parents with his current needs?
They are very upfront, and I think will be wonderful at working together!
Countrygal 01:42 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
If I didn't say it, he's adopted from a foreign orphanage. You know, 40 babies to a caregiver; that sort of thing.

I am definately NOT diagnosing. Just preparing for behaviors I witnessed. There are many types of SPD, one of which is sensory seeking. It's kind of the polar opposite of what your friend has.

We have a very sensory family, and my best friend's children are fully on the SPD train...1 hyper sensitive, 2 hypo sensitive, all diagnosed by a neuropsycologist.

not feeling bad...just clarifying
Oh, OK. Sorry, guess I misunderstood where you are coming from and what you were wanting.
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:

This is weird. From what I've researched most kids raised in a neglectful or abusive situation, even if removed after only a few weeks, can have resulting disorders, such as RAD. I'd be really interested in reading the papers/websites, etc. that you have researched! Would you mind sharing them?

Originally Posted by Willow:
If at any point in a childs life their physical or emotional needs go unmet it can cause anywhere from attachment issues on up through to full blown disorders and other mental illness that'll span the child's lifetime regardless of intense interventions. In infants brains (far less than 9 months old) the physical toll of the mental trauma can literally be seen on PET scans. And it's not just neglect or institutionalization that can cause it, simply suffering from an undiagnosed and untreated painful illness such as reflux can have similar and devastating results.
This is what I've found in my studies.
Countrygal 01:44 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by unregistered:
These are really great ideas for any of us! Thanks for sharing!
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:45 PM 06-01-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
Oh, OK. Sorry, guess I misunderstood where you are coming from and what you were wanting.

This is weird. From what I've researched most kids raised in a neglectful or abusive situation, even if removed after only a few weeks, can have resulting disorders, such as RAD. I'd be really interested in reading the papers/websites, etc. that you have researched! Would you mind sharing them?

This is what I've found in my studies.
Yes ... RAD is very common.

I have a RADical son.
Tags:sensory, sensory material
Reply Up