Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separation Anxiety
Christina72684 09:58 AM 01-14-2014
Any tips on separation anxiety? We have a 2 year old (3 in April) who cries off and on all day for his mom. He's been here over a year and yet it still happens. He doesn't cry every day, but most. He isn't very sociable and doesn't want to participate in group activities. All he wants to do is watch TV by himself, which is what we think he does at home. Any advice would be appreciated!
Soccermom 10:07 AM 01-14-2014
He is probably having difficulty socializing and cries for his mother because he doesn't feel comfortable.

This is the age when little ones start to learn social skills and begin to transition from side by side play to more interactive play with their peers. He may feel anxious because the other children are approaching him to play and he isn't sure what is expected of him.

I think if you work on socialization with him, things may get better although he will likely begin to socialize on his own when he feels ready.
Annalee 10:14 AM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
He is probably having difficulty socializing and cries for his mother because he doesn't feel comfortable.

This is the age when little ones start to learn social skills and begin to transition from side by side play to more interactive play with their peers. He may feel anxious because the other children are approaching him to play and he isn't sure what is expected of him.

I think if you work on socialization with him, things may get better although he will likely begin to socialize on his own when he feels ready.
I had one like that that didn't cry but "whined ALLLL the time. He wanted to watch TV like you said and didn't enjoy the other kids at all. He was a child with no siblings from a single mom and he did everything with her, never on his own. It took several months but he finally begin to interact and now he is 4 and doing great. Funny thing is his mom and grandma still go with him to potty, sleep with him, talk for him, put his coat on him, BUT here he is an independent little man that does those things for himself.
cheerfuldom 12:18 PM 01-14-2014
So you have had this kid for a year?! I don't think it is separation anxiety at that point. I would be concerned about a special needs issue if he is having trouble socializing....
Christina72684 12:21 PM 01-14-2014
I've wondered about something being a little off with him too. His ears are very large, and deep if that makes sense. They stick out and I've heard that is a sign of something but I'm not sure what.
Heidi 12:53 PM 01-14-2014
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I've wondered about something being a little off with him too. His ears are very large, and deep if that makes sense. They stick out and I've heard that is a sign of something but I'm not sure what.
Perhaps you've seen too many Disney Movies?

Seriously, Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean) has huge ears, and their is NOTHING wrong with him.
Attached: Rowan.jpg (8.0 KB) 
Heidi 12:55 PM 01-14-2014
Ok...on a more serious note, how are his verbal skills? Maybe he needs more coaching on how to join in to the play. Also, is there any special toy or hobby he has? Cars, trains, animals? My oldest was not a social butterfly, but get a train set anywhere near him, and he was content for hours upon hours.
Christina72684 11:38 AM 01-15-2014
We had an OT come in to access one of our babies that was born addicted to drugs and had many problems. While she was here we asked her a few questions about this DCB and she's the one that told us about the ears. She said it had something to do with the chromosomes.

His speech is a little delayed but sometimes i don't know if he chooses not to talk or can't. Sometimes he will show interested in some of the baby toys or cars, but that's about it. He really just sits and watches a lot.
Tags:separation anxiety
Reply Up