Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had to Share
Baby Beluga 02:06 PM 07-29-2015
Saw this and wanted to share. I suppose it is recommended that we visit the child's house for a visit

http://www.parents.com/advice/toddle...st-to-daycare/
Blackcat31 02:10 PM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Saw this and wanted to share. I suppose it is recommended that we visit the child's house for a visit

Bahahahaha!

I just LOVE when people who do not actually work in a child care give advice on child care.

....I think I'll ask my mechanic what plants are best/recommended for a shaded flower bed.
NillaWafers 02:14 PM 07-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:

I'm really loling at the thought of visiting a DCK to get them used to daycare. I've found the quicker drop offs are, the easier the transition is. As soon as they sense that crying/whimpering/whining will make mom or dad stay they do it every time! Haha.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:05 PM 07-29-2015
Those types of articles often drive me bonkers. But I have to say, in this case, it's pretty much what I'd advise, too. I do visit all my kids before they start. I find it makes a big difference for kids to start getting to know me on their own territory, where they feel safest. And they can show me their favorite things, and I learn something about them, and they always remember "you came to my house!" I use the time to talk with parents about their child's interests, preferences, routines (not that I'll be following their home routines, but it helps me when I understand where they're coming from); to take photos (which I'll use to personalize their space here, adding to their comfort: a photo on their basket, their mailbox, a family photo near their nap mat); and to just hang out and get to know them all a bit better. It's an investment of time, for sure, but worth it to me (also why I don't take short-term kids; wouldn't be worth it for a summer enrollment; I'm counting on years with the family).
DaveA 05:28 AM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Bahahahaha!

I just LOVE when people who do not actually work in a child care give advice on child care.

....I think I'll ask my mechanic what plants are best/recommended for a shaded flower bed.

In knifemaking we call them "Mall Ninjas"- I've never done it but I'm an expert!"

Apologies to the people on here with medical backgrounds ( and my RN wife ) but medical people are the WORST for this- "I consider myself an expert in my field, so I must be able to solve your problem also!" It's like me telling a zoo vet how to handle the newborn elephant because I've dealt with babies for years.
Blackcat31 05:56 AM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Those types of articles often drive me bonkers. But I have to say, in this case, it's pretty much what I'd advise, too. I do visit all my kids before they start. I find it makes a big difference for kids to start getting to know me on their own territory, where they feel safest. And they can show me their favorite things, and I learn something about them, and they always remember "you came to my house!" I use the time to talk with parents about their child's interests, preferences, routines (not that I'll be following their home routines, but it helps me when I understand where they're coming from); to take photos (which I'll use to personalize their space here, adding to their comfort: a photo on their basket, their mailbox, a family photo near their nap mat); and to just hang out and get to know them all a bit better. It's an investment of time, for sure, but worth it to me (also why I don't take short-term kids; wouldn't be worth it for a summer enrollment; I'm counting on years with the family).
With all due respect NWOJ, you run a very different program than most and not that many of us could replicate what you have going on...

From everything I've read/seen and learned about your program, you/your program is pretty unique. ......and AWESOME!
Baby Beluga 08:32 AM 07-30-2015
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
I agree with BC, it sounds like this works well for your unique program and that is great. And one of the things that makes each childcare provider special in their own way. For me personally, there is no way I would visit each child's home. To me it would feel wrong. And as a parent if my childcare provider asked to visit my home prior to enrollment I would recoil at the idea. For that suggestion to be in a widely read article I feel it is sending the wrong idea to parents who read the article previously knowing nothing about FCC.
Reply Up