Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>New Here, Looking For Insight
MissB 04:15 PM 06-11-2018
Hello all, new here. Just decided to join to gain more insight in this growing business. I currently work with adult consumers with disabilities and due to my children gettin ready to start school and my hours not working with school schedules and me being able to see my children as often as I’d like I’m looking into opening a daycare from home. My only issue is that I have very minimal space in my 2 bedroom duplex and would live more space. How do you all make your small space work if that’s what you have to work with? Would you recommend I wait to move to be able to have comfort in the space I use?
Cat Herder 04:53 AM 06-12-2018
Most states have a minimum space per child inside and outside. Outside is typically double the minimums for inside. Mine is 35 square feet of usable floor space per child inside. Any area with furniture is deducted from that. Yes, they bring measuring tapes during inspections.

It isn't just space that is a concern. A big issue in multifamily residences is access. How do you get multiple kids out in case of emergency? Where do you go? Where will parents park? How many visitors per day does your landlord allow? What if more than one family shows up at one time? How do you keep the walkway clear in inclement weather?

That should get you started. I also add tags below to other threads on this topic,

Welcome
Michael 03:29 PM 06-12-2018
Welcome to the forum!
CalCare 06:36 PM 06-12-2018
Hi, I see you are in CA, like me. I have seen people do small family childcare (which means 6-8 children depending on ages) even in a very small upstairs apartment. You want to Google "title 22 family childcare California". That will tell you all the rules. I actually don't think there is a minimum square foot per a child for what we call "small family childcare" which is what I do. I believe the space required does come up if you apply for a large license which is 12-14 kids.
The problem you may actually have is that you are in a duplex. If you are in a duplex, idk if the other half of the house (that you don't live in), will need to have all adults fingerprinted because I think they may consider it the same residence. And in CA, to get your license (and everyone must get a license) all people 18 years and up in the residence has to do a background check.
As far as the landlord, they have no say whatsoever in CA! It's your right to do a small FCC and you just have to inform them. So whatever they want to say about visitors or parking doesn't matter. however, if the landlord doesn't like what you are doing, I'm sure they will find any other way to kick you out. So, I would clear it with them ahead of time! For your own piece of mind!
Tags:apartment, covenants, duplex, landlord, parking, small room, small space, small storage
Reply Up