Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spitting Food
momma4many 05:50 PM 07-06-2011
Anyone have advice on a 14 mo who spits out darn near everything I give him? Some things I can put on his tray so he can pick up, but there are other things that need a spoon....well, that all gets spit out and the stuff on his tray gets thrown on the floor. I have started to just tell him he is done and take him down from the table. The first few times I left him and said things like "We don't spit food" or "We don't throw food", but he looks at me and does it anyway, then yells at me. Five minutes after he gets put down from his chair, he is going back to it, pointing at it, meaning he is hungry. Neither of my kids did this. Maybe once or twice, but never to this extent. Before this last week, he would eat anything and everything I offered. I'm sure this is a phase, but I wondered what you all thought. Suggestions?
Michael 06:28 PM 07-06-2011
Here is a thread that might have some insight: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23797
countrymom 04:03 AM 07-07-2011
I would then take his food away because he's done and leave him in the chair till all the children are done. By removing him from the situation he's not learning anything except that he can yell and scream and you will give in. I don't put up with nonsense at meals, so you need to leave him be, it usually takes a couple of times and he'll eat.
mac60 04:17 AM 07-07-2011
I have a just turned 2 yr old that throws food, smears it, etc. When he startes doing that he is done. I don't put up with those messes either. Even if he has only taken a few bites, start making and mess and throwing/smearing food, and you are done. Food is to eat.
momma4many 07:14 AM 07-07-2011
Thanks ladies I appreciate the imput. Guess I was taken back b/c I have not seen a kid so young do this, but hey, they are all different, right?
Tags:not eating, spitting, won't eat
Reply Up