Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Ages
kayla 06:52 AM 08-01-2012
At what age do you stop putting children down for naps??? Also what do you do with these children while the others are sleeping?? I'm having a hard time keeping them quiet while the others are sleeping, any suggestions?
Country Kids 06:57 AM 08-01-2012
Kindergarten as all my kids go to afternoon kindergarten. On days off from school though I do have them nap and 9 times out of 10 they will sleep. The older ones may watch tv or play quietly.
My Lil' Monkeys 06:57 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
At what age do you stop putting children down for naps??? Also what do you do with these children while the others are sleeping?? I'm having a hard time keeping them quiet while the others are sleeping, any suggestions?
All children nap in my daycare. The only one that doesn't is my own child, who is normally outside playing/playing in their own room/downstairs playing. When I had SA last year I still had them lay down and rest but I just put a movie on for them. (there is always books, games, puzzles, coloring available, too) but I asked they rest for a while then were able to get up and do something quietly.
Truly Scrumptious 07:01 AM 08-01-2012
All children nap here. If I have SA children they have a rest period with a movie.
Crazy8 07:05 AM 08-01-2012
if they come to my daycare they nap. If I take kindergarteners I request they be in the afternoon class if they aren't nappers. The mom who wants her 3 year old to give up naps needs to find a daycare who will accommodate that - I don't.
Countrygal 07:06 AM 08-01-2012
Mine all have to lay down for an hour, usually they fall asleep. If they don't they may pick a quiet activity to do in my living room. Usually they choose a movie, sometimes coloring or leap pads or puzzles. They also like seek and find books/magazines. There are others, but these are the ones they choose the most.

During the winter, this is when I do preschool with the older ones. We do a little more involved learning and reviewing during this time. Usually about an hour.
Blackcat31 07:11 AM 08-01-2012
ALL my daycare kids have a rest period. I do not take SA kids so I don't have to deal with them when the others rest.

I have taken older siblings of current children but only through first grade and only if they were once one of my daycare kids and then in that case, that child still has a rest period.
cheerfuldom 10:12 AM 08-01-2012
we nap here. I dont take kids over 5 or kids that dont nap
Lilbutterflie 10:22 AM 08-01-2012
My DD is 7, my DS is 4, & I watch two 4.5 yr olds who have outgrown naps. However, they are still required to sit/lay down & rest for the duration of naptime. I put a movie on for them, or they can have a book, puzzle, color, etc...as long as they are quiet!!
momma2girls 11:26 AM 08-01-2012
All my daycare children, inc. my own 4 yr. old naps
WImom 11:36 AM 08-01-2012
I'm only age 2-5 but I do make my 5 year olds nap/rest. They have quiet activities on their cots that I rotate every few days. The one 5y old I have is pretty quiet. Not sure once my other kids hit that age, I'll have more than just one. Not sure what the plan is for that yet.
mema 11:41 AM 08-01-2012
All of mine nap. I do have a 9 yr old that comes on occasion (sibling to a younger) and she will lay down and watch a movie/read and sometimes sleep too. My older dcb's-6 are usually the first ones to sleep. They stay up waaaaay to late at night. Their parents don't make them go to bed at any point. Just when they feel like sleeping.
DBug 11:42 AM 08-01-2012
I don't have SAs now, but when I did in the past, they could either lay down with a book, or they could play VERY quietly away from the sleepers (but still within sight). If they got loud, they'd have to lay down. We don't do tv and I didn't let them go outside (because inevitably someone would want a drink or have to go to the bathroom, so they were in & out constantly).

My own SAs play video games or watch a dvd in the basement, although my 5 yo still naps quite often.
Reply Up