Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Closing Daycare Notice
Darling 07:50 AM 06-23-2016
My husband and I have the opportunity to sell our home and buy a new home in a different city that would obviously be too far for my current parents. Seeing as we would need to able to do showings during the day, we would probably need to close sometime soon. We're going to find out this weekend what our house could sell for and don't want to tell the parents until we find out if we are correct with how much equity we have in our home (if it's not enough we wouldn't sell). I need to know what the standard is to close your daycare and how much time you need to inform your families. I want to give them as much time as possible but time may not be on our side.
Controlled Chaos 07:57 AM 06-23-2016
I think a month is the kind amount of time. What does your contract say? Typically 2 weeks notice is acceptable, though can feel a bit stressful - though that's not your problem

Good luck on selling your house!
Darling 08:05 AM 06-23-2016
Thank you! I'm hoping to give a month but I don't know if that will be possible. I'll have to speak with the broker as well and see if we can just do tours on the weekends to start out to stretch it out but we'll see. I don't have anything in my contract except for if the child becomes a danger to other kids or my home or animals and parents give 2 week notice.
JackandJill 08:13 AM 06-23-2016
My contract says 2 weeks notice for termination of care. While I have never closed/moved, I imagine if I was in a time crunch then I wouldn't feel guilty giving only two weeks. No one has ever given me more than a two week notice when they leave care, kwim? I know that when everything is on good terms, you hate leaving people high and dry, but 2 weeks is plenty of time to find a new provider!
Darling 08:27 AM 06-23-2016
That's true as long as they put in the effort it can be. I would give them as many resources and possible to find daycares as well so I would help how I could.
Unregistered 07:01 AM 06-24-2016
I'm currently about to list my home and move about 40 miles away. So, same boat as you.

What I've decided to do:
List our home without the "For Sale" sign in the yard and showing only on nights and weekends. The market is good enough here where just having it on the MLS is sufficient.
Then, once an offer has been accepted, buyers inspection has been done (because deals can fall through quite easily after an inspection) and a closing date is made, THEN and only then will I give my families notice. I'm estimating it will be about a 3 week notice, which is good for me and them.
Darling 07:33 AM 06-24-2016
That's a good idea. I may have to do that since we're in a really good market too (Portland, OR) and that's why we're trying to jump on this while it's so good with the equity we've built.
jenboo 08:58 AM 06-24-2016
I have done this. I gave my families about 6 weeks notice.
They new before the house was listed. I did showings during daycare hours. It didn't affect my families at all so even if families didn't know I was selling the house, you could easily still do daytime showings.
happymom 09:46 AM 06-24-2016
Depending on how far, some of your families may stick with you until they are able to find good care after you move (if you allow).

The only reason I was able to get a spot with the home daycare we were at was because she had just purchased a new home about 25 minutes away from where her daycare had been.

My son was actually replacing a child whose parents were commuting from the prior city each day. Within a couple of months all of the commuting children had found new care, but daycare provider was willing to keep them as long as they were willing to commute.
Reply Up