Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those with Dogs
mac60 04:53 AM 03-17-2010
Living where we get snow, we get lots of dog poo accumulated thru the winter, then with the spring thaw, yuck yuck yuck. So, I am wondering if any of you have came up with a "sure fire way" to clean it all up for the spring. Last year I took the hose and pulverized it into the ground, because much of it is too soft to scoop up. Yea, I know this is gross, but thought maybe someone had a better solution than this.
tymaboy 05:33 AM 03-17-2010
Every so often DS will go out during the winter when it is frozen & pickup what is laying on top of the snow. But that only happens 1-2 times during the winter. I have a small dog so when every thing melts so does the dog dirt. When everything is thawed out & drying up there are no traces of it. My neighbors have a larger dog & he just goes & rakes the yard which spreads it threw out the yard (good fertilizer)
momofsix 06:07 AM 03-17-2010
That's what the 13 year old who begged for the dog, and promised to take care of it is for! She goes around w/ plastic bag gloves, and bags it all up,
originalkat 07:01 AM 03-17-2010
I have a med size dog. He always poops along the fence line so it is all in one LONG area. In the spring...I am waiting for a nice day, I will rake the accumulated leaves by the fence and the dog poop into piles and then bag it. So gross...but it is all dried up.
Carole's Daycare 07:19 AM 03-17-2010
I have a 100 lb German Shepherd. To avoid large poo colored and smelling puddles in my yard at sspring thaw I do 4 things: 1) Atlas is trained to go in 1 area- in his case a paving stoned area in the back corner of the yard 2) even during winter, I send my son outside for a "poop patrol" to baggy up any logs that were outside his designated area, as well as cleaning up his poo pile in his area every few days 3) As the snow level recedes, make a daily quick patrol with a good, long /pointy trowel to dig out any poo that becomes visible that may have been missed or snowed over 4) Be Vigilant ! lol I watch and make sure Atlas adheres to his training and goes in his spot. Poo in my yard/play area is against regs- so i expect Atlas to behave. If its cold/rainy and he gets lazy and doesnt go all the way out back- it needs picked up ASAP
The result is 5 minutes a day in chores for my son to earn his allowance, maybe 10-15 every couple days to clean his actual area, a poop free yard, and a doggy that behaves. Since he also must urinate in his spot, I am able to have a green , clean yard and flowers to enjoy.
gbcc 08:38 AM 03-17-2010
I actually just hired someone to come do a doggy poo spring cleanup. They came the day the snow thawed and I can now start fresh! My dogs go out with me for about an hour in the am. I just picked it all up before the kiddos get here. Anytime the dogs go outside with us I make sure to have my scooper so I am right on top of it.
melskids 09:37 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
That's what the 13 year old who begged for the dog, and promised to take care of it is for! She goes around w/ plastic bag gloves, and bags it all up,

OMG! was gonna say the same thing...lol

except my 13 yr old is a boy with a big shovel!!!!
tenderhearts 10:43 AM 03-17-2010
We trained our dog to potty in the same spot of the yard, it is in the shop area in the gravel where my daycare kids do not play, it's really nice to not have to worry about it and then my two kids twice per week, (the two that cried and begged for our dog) rotates each week and cleans it up.
TGT09 11:37 AM 03-17-2010
I wish my dogs would only go in one place! We have an acre fenced in for the kids/dogs and the dogs poop everywhere! I'm ALWAYS on poop patrol and am now wondering if once a week, I should have someone come do it for me! I HATE that the kids can't run around freely without being afraid of stepping in poo!
mac60 12:37 PM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I wish my dogs would only go in one place! We have an acre fenced in for the kids/dogs and the dogs poop everywhere! I'm ALWAYS on poop patrol and am now wondering if once a week, I should have someone come do it for me! I HATE that the kids can't run around freely without being afraid of stepping in poo!
We have two in a smaller fenced in yard. I have to clean it up everyday when we go outside, once a week would not be enough, seems like someone always find some I missed too. Were so lucky the jobs we get to do.
Crystal 01:08 PM 03-17-2010
why doesn't it just get picked up daily, even with snow? It seems like alot less hassle then a whole bunch in the spring.

I'm lucky....hubby picks it up right after dog does her duty. I NEVER have to clean it up!
mac60 05:05 PM 03-17-2010
I really don't want to go out in 10 inches of snow to clean up poop. Plus, it is dark by 5:30 here in the winter time.
Crystal 06:29 AM 03-18-2010
Yeah, I wouldn't want to either, but I probably would. It would drive me crazy knowing there is poop in my yard
booroo 12:03 PM 03-18-2010
My son goes out once a week and clean up the dogs areas. but we have different dog area and child area. Therefor it not really a problem for us. Come spring, son will have to do it every day.
Tags:dog poop, dogs, pets
Reply Up