Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Overnight Newborn Care
Unregistered 01:13 PM 04-17-2013
As an expectant mother, I was dismayed when I found a post in another section of the daycare.com forum mocking a mother who wanted overnight care for her baby. I am due in October and looking to hire someone who will come over at night and get up with the baby. That person is welcome to sleep when the baby sleeps, or to do school work or anything else they would like. The reality is my husband has a demanding job and can't be up all night. I have a mental/mood disorder and have been warned my psychiatrists and experience alike that my medication doesn't work when I don't get adequate and regular sleep.

Have any of you caregivers ever taken and maybe even liked such a position? Have any parents out there had any good experiences hiring someone to do this? I was dismayed to see so many people mocking the idea of overnight care.
Willow 01:19 PM 04-17-2013
There are a lot of mothers who would love to have a live in take over all the tougher responsibilities of motherhood and not because they really need the help, but simply because they want it and don't care to be inconvenienced or get their hands dirty so to speak.

If you truly need the help due to a disorder or disability that's another story entirely. I can't imagine anyone here mocking someone in your position.

There are mothers who don't care to mother their child. At all. I'm sure if anything was said it was in reference to a woman with that mentality.
Cradle2crayons 01:27 PM 04-17-2013
Yep, I've nannied before for newborns and first time moms. I LOVED it!! I wish I was in the position to do it again.
Blackcat31 02:05 PM 04-17-2013
Here are a few other threads about over night care.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...overnight+care

Unregistered 02:39 PM 04-17-2013
Thank you guys. It is nice to find some support, as well as other threads about the subject. I am not trying to abandon my baby. I will have no daytime care providers and in fact in tend to be a stay at home mother. I simply cannot be stable without adequate sleep.
Unregistered 02:40 PM 04-17-2013
I meant intend* typo
Blackcat31 02:44 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you guys. It is nice to find some support, as well as other threads about the subject. I am not trying to abandon my baby. I will have no daytime care providers and in fact in tend to be a stay at home mother. I simply cannot be stable without adequate sleep.
You are highly encouraged to register here....we are a VERY diverse group that can offer all sorts of insight and perspectives.

We can be super supportive and helpful too!

This site is NOT for provider's only and is for parents too! It is great to have a parent be on board to give their perspective.

Especially if you are going to be a stay at home mom. It's hard to network and connect with others sometimes so please consider registering.
AmyKidsCo 06:30 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
There are a lot of mothers who would love to have a live in take over all the tougher responsibilities of motherhood and not because they really need the help, but simply because they want it and don't care to be inconvenienced or get their hands dirty so to speak.

If you truly need the help due to a disorder or disability that's another story entirely. I can't imagine anyone here mocking someone in your position.

There are mothers who don't care to mother their child. At all. I'm sure if anything was said it was in reference to a woman with that mentality.
Yes, this.

I think in general it's easy for people to talk (type) off the cuff without thinking, but if they really took time to look at the situation from other points of view they'd have a different opinion.
Heidi 07:30 PM 04-17-2013
Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure about which threads you saw, but the negative ones I've seen about overnight care tend to be craigslist ads that someone shared. In those cases, it's almost always providers "rolling their eyes" because someone wants childcare at really low rates. I remember one where someone wanted to pay $2 or so an hour for a person to come to their home and watch their child overnight, with the idea that "he will sleep anyway..."

Whether a person does homework or stays up staring at your baby all night; if they are expected to be there and be responsible, they should expect minimum wage, at least. I have aquantainces who work in group homes. They are still paid overnight, just because they are required to be there.

Hopefully, you will be one of the lucky ones whose baby sleeps through the night quickly.
Starburst 02:26 PM 04-18-2013
Have you tried looking into putting an ad on care.com, sittercity.com, or greataupair.com? It sounds like you need someone who is more of a live-in nanny/mother's helper. Maybe you could also put a post up at a local community college? If they have a CD/ECE program you could call the building and ask them to put up a help wanted post.

I think the main issue with the older posts wasn't that there is anything wrong with overnight care but it is that most people on here own businesses that operate only during the day so they can spend the evening with their kids and there may have been some families that were pressuring them into extending their hours and cutting into their family time. I think it was more because they felt like they were being treated as on-call babysitters and not like professional business owners with set business hours. IK there are some providers on here who have overnight/weekend or 24 hour care but it is usually in their own homes, not at other peoples homes.
Unregistered 06:01 PM 04-18-2013
I'v just tried those two websites and I have been happy to get some responses! Thank you. I really just want a night time sitter. I don't want a nanny because I don't want anyone during the day. I hope one of these people will work out!
Reply Up