Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>At what Point do You Make a Call to Report a Daycare?
Unregistered 03:05 PM 09-09-2018
I have witnessed the following in the last few weeks:

1. The appropriate cleaning supplies are not available and teachers are unable to perform the appropriate two-step cleaning procedure for tables and changing areas.

2. I had to inform the assistant director that we needed two teachers in the classroom during naptime as the state ratio for naptime was 1:12 and we had 14 children.

3. I had to inform the director that we were out of ratio with 14 children as the ratio was 1:6 during wake time and we only had two teachers. The director insisted the ratio for 18 months to under 30 months was 1:7 because we had some children who were two and some who were under two (but over 18 months).

4. Teachers will step out to take bathroom breaks without calling for back-up even if it means leaving a room out of ratio. I have been left alone with as many as 14 children.

5. Chairs in the toddler room are left stacked when not in use [but while the classroom is in use]. The chair stacks are not the most stable and have fallen.

6. Milk bottles/cups are left out on the counter for 3-4+ hours instead of being kept in lunchboxes with ice packs. [No refrigeration in classrooms. Parents are required to have ice packs in lunchboxes.]

7. Lunches, whether provided by the parent or ordered from the catering company, rarely contain fruit and almost NEVER contain vegetables. Lunches include chicken fingers and fries, plain pasta with a roll, and a hot dog and fries.

8. The center's discipline policy, and an overall employee handbook/onboarding/training was not provided to me within 2 weeks' of hire despite requests.

9. Food is plated and stored on the same counter as diapering during lunch prep.

10. Classroom doors remain open even with children who are known to run out of the room.

11. Nap mats/cots are not cleaned and sanitized.

This was simply what was observed over a three week period. Some points were based solely on DFC Inspection Violation report requirements.
Blackcat31 03:11 PM 09-09-2018
Any time anyone feels a need to report they should.
However, if you are the same unregistered that was recently fired via e-mail, please don’t report in retaliation because you were fired.
racemom 04:00 PM 09-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
However, if you are the same unregistered that was recently fired via e-mail, please don’t report in retaliation because you were fired.
Agree. Only wanted to add, the daycare will know it was you. If you think you want to work in daycare again you are not going to get a good reference from them.
LysesKids 05:39 PM 09-09-2018
Exactly... I reported then they fired me @ a Church center no less, but it was a few extremes the 3rd day I worked; they did get shut down very quickly because parents also started reporting. This was before I started my own 18 years ago.

In 2011, I had a center trying to copycat MY HOME info and run like I did - even undercut my fees (doesn't work that way - homes & centers have different regs & what center runs on lower fees than homes); Different state than 1st incident - they got shut down, but police ended being involved & worse she was only a 1/4 mile from me on same street
Unregistered 06:01 AM 09-10-2018
I am the same unregistered. If I call, it's not in retaliation. I was debating whether or not I should call prior to being fired (since management was not addressing concerns brought to them and some concerns are their fault), but was afraid to because I didn't want to jeopardize my employment. Now, it feels like the doors to make a call are open.
Mike 07:45 AM 09-10-2018
I say report
Unregistered 08:22 AM 09-10-2018
Secure the letter of reference. Then report.
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 09-10-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am the same unregistered. If I call, it's not in retaliation. I was debating whether or not I should call prior to being fired (since management was not addressing concerns brought to them and some concerns are their fault), but was afraid to because I didn't want to jeopardize my employment. Now, it feels like the doors to make a call are open.
I understand but if you do report, it WILL be viewed as retaliatory, even if it wasn't.

Honestly though if you feel that ANY of the children are in danger, you should report. Regardless.

But it's also important to understand that while it's not really mature or right, the owner or director may tell others that you are a "risky" employee to have.

Sadly, it's just part of the real world of current or past employees that report/don't report....kwim?
MarinaVanessa 02:39 PM 09-11-2018
I understand but if you do report, it WILL be viewed as retaliatory, even if it wasn't.
Or ... just playing devil's advocate here ... if she has been reporting issues to management and making complaints they could have used the whole "parents are complaining" thing t get rid of her for not being a "team player" and not "looking the other way". Just a thought I had.
Tags:complaints, reporting - daycare
Reply Up