Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lesson Learned - Never Again
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:13 AM 03-11-2015
Last week, for the very first time in 13 years of daycare, I sent out a mass e-mail to all the parents to please pick up their kiddos immediately following work. All DCFs have at least one parent off by 4:30, but they will run an errand, stop for gas, or just fart around until almost 5:30. I've made a big show in the past hinting around about needing to get out ASAP for something, but I swear it makes them be even later, or maybe it's just Murphy's Law.We had to register my DS for high school (a big moment for my family), and registration was only till 6pm, and by the time one or two get out of my driveway it is usually almost 5:40. I did NOT want to miss it, so I thought it would be better to be direct and ask for an immediate pick-up, expressing how I saved them the inconvenience of closing for the whole day. There were a few unnecessary comments, which I have come to expect after this long and let roll off my back. Last kid left at 5:00, and all was well.

Then, one DCD was 10 full minutes late arriving late for pick-up last night. He came in at 5:40, declaring there was an accident, and says "I guess that makes us even for the early pick-up last week."

Wow. Just wow. I decided not to make a stink, and chalk it up to another lesson in the school of hard knocks. I will just close for the day next time.
crazydaycarelady 08:23 AM 03-11-2015
Yeah, I had my last kid get picked up at 5:20 the other day. Dcm acted like it was my lucky day for getting off 10 minutes early.
Shell 08:27 AM 03-11-2015
That is beyond rude!!!
daycare 08:28 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Yeah, I had my last kid get picked up at 5:20 the other day. Dcm acted like it was my lucky day for getting off 10 minutes early.
WTH..... that stinks.

But I guess it all depends on how you are charging your parents. If they pay a flat rate and get to use those hours, then they are paying for it. BUT I would have been tempted to tell dcd If you really want to keep score on late pick up or early drop off, I will be more than happy to do that for you, I always love a good challenge...then smile and walk away.
AmyLeigh 08:32 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
WTH..... that stinks.

But I guess it all depends on how you are charging your parents. If they pay a flat rate and get to use those hours, then they are paying for it. BUT I would have been tempted to tell dcd If you really want to keep score on late pick up or early drop off, I will be more than happy to do that for you, I always love a good challenge...then smile and walk away.

KIDZRMYBIZ 08:36 AM 03-11-2015
No joke!

I also love this: On Monday, a DCM notices the attendance chart is not quite full, and says "Light day today, huh? That must have been nice." Sure...sure. I had 3 toddlers instead of 4, so there were odd-man-out squabbles all day. The preschooler's buddy was out, too, so guess who was in my face all day? Add the 2 babies under one, and that totals a complete day off for me. They can be so clueless! And before I get jumped on, I don't mean that to be mean. I wouldn't have understood it either before I did daycare, either. But it does seem awful clueless.
Unregistered 08:41 AM 03-11-2015
LOL! That reminds me of the dcm who picked up last dcb at 5:10. He asked her if he could go in my backyard and swing and she told him, "Sure. You still have 20 minutes." (!!!!!!)
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:47 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
LOL! That reminds me of the dcm who picked up last dcb at 5:10. He asked her if he could go in my backyard and swing and she told him, "Sure. You still have 20 minutes." (!!!!!!)
OMG! No! No way! That is outrageous! You win. By a landslide!
MarinaVanessa 08:51 AM 03-11-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Then, one DCD was 10 full minutes late arriving late for pick-up last night. He came in at 5:40, declaring there was an accident, and says "I guess that makes us even for the early pick-up last week."

"Oh, we're keeping score? Well let's see, in the last x months of being a client your DCK has been late x times for a total of xx minutes, today you were late x minutes. I closed early last week for x minutes, so that brings us to xx minutes that you still owe me. I'm so glad you brought that up, now I can get what I am owed"

Or long, uncomfortable blank stare.
AuntTami 09:08 AM 03-11-2015
You're kidding right? What did you do? I would have lost my mind, or stood there completely dumbfounded not knowing what to say/do! But I bet I would have had some words!

OP: Do you do contracted hours or is it a flat daily fee? I guess I could kind of see their point if you do a flat daily fee, but that is NOT the way to approach it and really? Like you said, they're already off of work so what's the big deal? God forbid they take their child with them to do their grocery shopping!
CraftyMom 09:14 AM 03-11-2015
Next time address it as "I will be closing at 5 pm on xxx day". The end (with as much notice as possible)

I learned that the hard way, thinking parents will be considerate...nope, it's all about them after all
Play Care 09:21 AM 03-11-2015
I would have charged a late fee.
My daily rate is the same no matter how many hours are used. So me closing a half hour early one day to make an appointment, doesn't rate a discount, IMO. In fact I DO close early on Fridays (45 minutes!) and did NOT give a discount for that time, and let parents know that they will incur late fees if not picked up by the "new" time. I also don't make a point of saying my hours are x to x really or that parents are paying for so many hours a week, KWIM. They are paying for a child minding service while they are working, not 50 hours of care per week.

In general though I agree that if you want to make sure not to miss something, it's better to close the whole day. Stinks that it has to be that way though.
BabyMonkeys 09:55 AM 03-11-2015
That's hilarious!! I probably wouldn't think it was so funny if it was my daycare though
Unregistered 10:02 AM 03-11-2015
[quote=AuntTami;527527]You're kidding right? What did you do? I would have lost my mind, or stood there completely dumbfounded not knowing what to say/do! But I bet I would have had some words!

I told her that I consider myself "off-duty," when the parent arrives, and I had things to do. (I think I also rambled on about my own kids wanting to spend time with their mom because I was freaked-out defensive and annoyed.)
melilley 10:07 AM 03-11-2015
How rude!
If I need to close early, I always tell them a time to pick up and usually give myself an hour at the least. My parents are great, but ya never know.
melilley 10:09 AM 03-11-2015
No way! Geez!
I had a parent who breastfed, which I do not mind at all, but this parent only lived 10 minutes away at most and half of the time dcb was fed right before she would get here and of course she was the last pickup and would sit down and breastfeed him because she claimed that he wanted a "snack" because he would grab for her when she picked up. Duh, hour child wants you, he's not hungry, he just ate.
Jack Sprat 11:24 AM 03-11-2015
I have that parent too! If I close early she will be late the day before or the next day. ALWAYS!! She works 3 blocks away, is officially off the clock at 4:30. By late I mean one or two minutes. But, still those minutes add up!
KIDZRMYBIZ 11:59 AM 03-11-2015
[quote=OP: Do you do contracted hours or is it a flat daily fee? I guess I could kind of see their point if you do a flat daily fee, but that is NOT the way to approach it and really? Like you said, they're already off of work so what's the big deal? God forbid they take their child with them to do their grocery shopping! [/QUOTE]

I just charge a flat weekly fee and my open hours/days are theirs to use. I grew tired of keeping track of drop-off and pick-up times and even days for contracted hours, then confronting when they weren't following their hours. And the sad truth of the matter is, clients want long daycare hours, whether they are working or not.

I originally thought I'd just jet out of here at 5:30 on the dot, but then noticed the week prior that more often than not, I'm trying to scoot 1 or 2 DCFs out of here when they arrive at 5:29, so as they are buckling children and compulsively checking their phone one last time (), I'd be blocked in till 5:40/5:45!

I do see their side of it, and was frankly surprised no one demanded a refund for the 15-30 minutes I was asking for (Sure, it's $1.15). I'm not crabby at them for showing up at 5:30 on the nose all the time, because they are taking a few minutes from me every day.

But I won't ask for it again. I will back my car out of the garage before pick-ups and be very abrupt, literally push them out my door if need be, and leave while they are still in my driveway. Or take the whole day off and relish it!!
MsLisa 12:05 PM 03-11-2015
I have that problem all the time here. We "close" at 6pm, charge a flat rate per week so most use it to its fullest advantage to the point of borderline babysitting service.

I have only like 3 who will call if late or tell me ahead of time, even if they never pass 6pm. They are great professional working parents. Others...well...they use me so they don't have to deal with their kid(s).

One mom in particular gets out at 4 or 4:30 and will go home and get wasted/high or get her nails done. EVERY. DAY. Won't pick her kids up till 5:45. The kids KNOW she's home. They KNOW what time she gets out. Her kids smell, have torn clothes, and behavior problems. So why not right?

Another trend is kids telling their parents to pick them up late on purpose.
No. GO HOME. Please.
Meeko 12:17 PM 03-11-2015
What did you say?????????????? !!
Crazy8 02:14 PM 03-11-2015
maybe you need to reevaluate your closing time? Honestly, if you advertise that you close at 5:30 and a parent picks up at 5:29 they will feel they are on time (even if it then takes them 10 min to get out of your driveway).
Unfortunately that is the problem with a blanket closing time. You need to expect to work until that time every day.

When a family comes to me for an interview we determine the hours they need and then they are contracted for those hours. Their rate is based on those hours so the person picking up at 4:30 and the person picking up at 5pm do not pay the same amount. I don't care what the parents are doing before they pick up, as long as they pick up on time. The thing is when they sign up they usually pick a time that just includes their travel time after work.
Unregistered 02:39 PM 03-11-2015
We charge $1.00 per minute after our closing time, I would charge them extra if they pull that again.
daycare 03:19 PM 03-11-2015
All I have to say , is just when I think I have heard it all, I always seem to hear something else.

ugh...
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:31 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
maybe you need to reevaluate your closing time? Honestly, if you advertise that you close at 5:30 and a parent picks up at 5:29 they will feel they are on time (even if it then takes them 10 min to get out of your driveway).
Unfortunately that is the problem with a blanket closing time. You need to expect to work until that time every day.

Yep, I close at 5:30. And I fully expect to work right up to that time every day, and do! However, we all know on here that we providers are (unfairly) not treated the same as any other business. You don't take your stuff up to the register at 5:29 when the store closes at 5:30. You take it up by 5:20...maybe even 5:10 if you expect to have a 15-minute let-me-use-you-as-my-sounding-board-for-this-personal-part-of-my-life conversation with the cashier. You don't drop your clothes off at the dry-cleaners one minute before they lock the door if you require the owner's attention for a lengthy conversation regarding special instructions or the process they use to rid a stain. So these DCFs are technically "on time," but they are dipping into my personal time when they don't hustle out within 1 or 2 minutes. I just wanted these people to come early enough that I could be pulling out of my driveway at 5:31, and not a second later. Maybe I will change my forever closing time to 5:19. It's weird, but it seems like they need 11-minutes of banter time, and then I can firmly shut the door at 5:30.

When a family comes to me for an interview we determine the hours they need and then they are contracted for those hours. Their rate is based on those hours so the person picking up at 4:30 and the person picking up at 5pm do not pay the same amount. I don't care what the parents are doing before they pick up, as long as they pick up on time. The thing is when they sign up they usually pick a time that just includes their travel time after work.

I'm glad this works for you. I tried it for 2 years, and it didn't work for me as this not what clients want in my area.
Anyway, this was just a post for you guys to go at. I know I made a mistake in asking for them to pick up pronto, and fully admit it. I also know how things are in this business (like not really closing till 10 min after closing time). Just wanted to vent with others that are here with me on the greenest side of the fence. I say that because I really do like my job!
daycare 08:39 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Anyway, this was just a post for you guys to go at. I know I made a mistake in asking for them to pick up pronto, and fully admit it. I also know how things are in this business (like not really closing till 10 min after closing time). Just wanted to vent with others that are here with me on the greenest side of the fence. I say that because I really do like my job!
yeah you made my head spin....

Sucks when parents don't take into consideration what we do day in and out.
I tell my staff, that parents only see drop off and pick up, they don't see us in action with the kids and see where all the magic happens all day long. SO at drop off and pick up, it really is our time to shine and make a good impression with the parents. BUT

that still does not stop parents from being like the one you posted about here.

Seriously, I would be tempted to go over all of his in/out records and write down all the times they went over, then hand him an invoice and said, once you pay up, now were even...............I would love to see the look on his face.
KIDZRMYBIZ 08:59 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Seriously, I would be tempted to go over all of his in/out records and write down all the times they went over, then hand him an invoice and said, once you pay up, now were even...............I would love to see the look on his face.
I would love to, too! But I won't do it. I might start interrupting them mid-sentence when the digital clock I have right there turns 5:30 and say "Sorry, I have to close up shop now. Want to keep things even!" With a very big smile, of course.
Reply Up