Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does anyone have a set day that they close the daycare for "Recoup" days?
MaritimeMummy 07:57 AM 08-12-2012
I started doing home day care back in September, 2 set days a week for one little girl. I still had loads of freedom (she's since left but that's how I started out).

I then started taking care of my cousin's little guy, on a rotating schedule, anywhere from 1-4 days a week...most weeks 2 days. Not always on the same days as #1 DCG but still gave me flexibility to run errands, have my orthodontic appointments, and take my kids to the doctor.

In March, I started a full-time girl and another part-time girl. Thus ending what little "freedom" I had.

It's not that it's a bad thing necessarily but i am having an extremely hard time juggling appointments with the full time DCG. And this DCG is here from 7am until 5:45 every day, so I can't even get out to an early or late doctor's appointment or ortho adjustment just before or after she's here.

DCM of the full time DCG just told me that she's setting new hours, she works from home and she will not be receiving clients on Wednesdays from here on out. She will be doing paperwork that is needed for the business though. But she told me before that that's stuff she can do with her daughter there.

I was thinking of closing one Wednesday each month so that I can schedule appointments as needed, or just have a day mid-week to recoup and do a good, deep cleaning (because I am coming to the realization that FT DCG is tiring me out and really starting to get on my daughter's nerves...the other day I realized that DCG is here 1 hour before my daughter wakes up in the morning so it's always a shock to her to wake and see her here, ready to play, when my DD just wants to relax and take time to wake up...)

FT DCM pays per day so it's not like she's locked in to a set weekly rate, so I could just charge her for 4 days that week. But I am just wondering how all my clients might perceive this move on my part? Inconvenient for them? Or do you think they'd be grateful to know really far in advance that THIS is the day I will be taking off each month for personal things?

Also, would doing this BI-weekly be pushing it?

I kind of miss the days when I had 2 part time kids and they'd happen to come the same days during the week, leaving me with free time here and there.
Blackcat31 08:07 AM 08-12-2012
The first ten years I was in business I took one Friday off each month. I used these days for all the things you mentioned. Appointments for myself, my kids, spare time to regroup and/or just a me day. Whatever.

I never worried about what my parents thought since they were notified waaaaaay in advance and honestly doing child care WITH your own children requires a great deal of balance and coordination to make htings run smoothly as a working mom and as just a mom period.

If I had a parent who was going to complain, I had this big long explanation planned out to tell them that as a mom they should understand my need for this personal day. None of them ever complained so I didn't have to explain.

I took a Friday offf each month for a while to give me 3 day weekends and then for a while I took a Wednesday off each month just to break things up in the middle of the week.

One year I actually closed at 2:00 (right at end of naptime) every Wednesday and that was great too!

You could always tell parents that either they accept the one personal day per month or you can raise your rates to allow you to hire a sub so you can make appts and such when needed. LOL!

Bottom line is taking one personal day per month is so beneficial that it is worth it in so many ways. I think you should definitely consider some type of consistent day off or partial days off on a regular basis. It can be soooo helpful!
momofsix 10:07 AM 08-12-2012
It worked out for me that through the month of August I just happened to have Thursdays either off completely or half days...it was HEAVENLY!!!
I was finally able to schedule my physical therapy, get a broken tooth fixed, schedule my cardiologist appts...and even see an afternoon matinee! I never know how freeing it could feel to have a day off! I don't think I can do it through the school year, but I am definitely going to make sure I take off a day here and there next summer again. My whole week was easier knowing I had that time coming.
Go for it!
Annalee 11:13 AM 08-12-2012
Add some personal days to your contract! I operated the first eight to ten years of daycare even working some holidays because I didn't charge back then for days off. For the past ten years, thanks to some awesome training and being mentored, I take professional & personal days, along with holidays and close two weeks out of the year. And I get paid 52 weeks a year. The clients in my program re-sign contracts each December and get a handbook with days off.....Personal days can be taken separate or consecutively.... I do not use these days for sickness or death in the family.....that is put in emergency days. This way I am covered. Sure, I get some "flack" occasionally, but it is worth it for my sanity. My parents may say some negative things about me, but informing them is not one of them....so they know upon enrollment how the pay will go and the days I will be off. Whatever you decide to do, let the parents know in a congenial, non-negotiable way that these are the days you are open and these are the days you are closed. Good luck to you!
cheerfuldom 11:40 AM 08-12-2012
It sounds like the all the kids will now be essentially part time (4 days or less), right? There should be no reason that you set one day a month that you have no kids in care to handle appointments. The other parents should be able to work around it with so much notice, yes? I do think that bi-weekly could become a hassle that some parents are not willing to work around.....

Other than that, the reality of that one DCG is that her mom needs a lot of hours (7 to 6) so it could be that replacing her would be a better option? I do understand that your own child is worn out from this one kid being there 11 hours a day. I personally would replace her because I dont take any kids for that long each day.....its just too much for me and my own family to have another here for that long every day. Right now, I have two of my group that get here at 7:30 and they both go down for early naps so I have the time with my own kids to let them wake naturally, eat breakfast uninterrupted and begin their day in peace.
Crazy8 07:35 PM 08-12-2012
while I would love to have that day for myself it just wouldn't work for me or my daycare families. I have mostly full time kids. yes, they can come up with backups in case of emergency, etc. but I already have to compete with the hours of local centers - closing 1 day a month would be a serious "con" to people looking to put their child in my care. Its just the nature of the beast around here. I make my appointments for evenings and weekends when possible - made sure we chose doctors and dentists that have those hours - and if there is something we need to get one of the kids in sooner DH takes them.
Sprouts 08:00 PM 08-13-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The first ten years I was in business I took one Friday off each month. I used these days for all the things you mentioned. Appointments for myself, my kids, spare time to regroup and/or just a me day. Whatever.

I never worried about what my parents thought since they were notified waaaaaay in advance and honestly doing child care WITH your own children requires a great deal of balance and coordination to make htings run smoothly as a working mom and as just a mom period.

If I had a parent who was going to complain, I had this big long explanation planned out to tell them that as a mom they should understand my need for this personal day. None of them ever complained so I didn't have to explain.

I took a Friday offf each month for a while to give me 3 day weekends and then for a while I took a Wednesday off each month just to break things up in the middle of the week.

One year I actually closed at 2:00 (right at end of naptime) every Wednesday and that was great too!

You could always tell parents that either they accept the one personal day per month or you can raise your rates to allow you to hire a sub so you can make appts and such when needed. LOL!

Bottom line is taking one personal day per month is so beneficial that it is worth it in so many ways. I think you should definitely consider some type of consistent day off or partial days off on a regular basis. It can be soooo helpful!
And did parents pay for this? This is a great idea
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 08-14-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
And did parents pay for this? This is a great idea
Not at the time they didn't. I was still so new into the business that I was uncomfortable charging for any days I was closed.

I worked into the whole paid vactions and paid days off concept.

It was still worth it to me to take those days because the break was very much needed but now I reserve the right to take a couple days here and there off, depending on the current situation and group of kids I have and I do charge my parents for it.

I guess the way I figure it is happy provider = happy kids and the parents must agree because no one has ever complained.

I also want to add though that I am somewhat a work-a-holic and that I RARELY close and take only the minimal holidays off compared to some. (I average 13-15 days total per year that I am closed)

I come to work in sub zero temps, through deep snow and crazy weather.

I am kind of like the postman and nothing detours me from making it to work. LOL!
Reply Up