Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dcb has suddenly lost his speech skills
Luna 05:40 AM 10-23-2013
What in the world is this about???

Yesterday my dcb (turns 3 next month) started over-pronouncing every word and adding consonants that aren't there. "Come in" became "cumppp intttt". He is looking at a book and telling me about the "brokentttt"...something I can't make out. He had cereal for "ppppreakssssssfassssssstttttt". He is working very hard to do this and it looks exhausting!

Has anyone seen this before? I'm wondering if someone is trying to get him to speak more clearly in general, but I felt he was a pretty good speaker before this stuff. I'm having trouble understanding him and frankly, it's annoying.
SilverSabre25 05:42 AM 10-23-2013
He could be playing with sounds and sounding out words and things. I think it's okay to say something along the lines of "dcb, cut it out and speak normally please. You're three. I know you know how to talk."
Willow 05:55 AM 10-23-2013
My daughter woke up one morning doing that at 15 months of age.

The next day she was in surgery having a vp shunt placed into her brain.

Not saying it's neurological, but any abrupt changes in language ability/clarity certainly can be the result of changing pressures in the head (cerebro signal fluid from ventricle malfunction and blockage, infection like meningitis, head injury etc.) If he genuinely can't seem to stop himself from doing this please, please, please strongly advise the parents get him into the doctor, like, today.
MotherNature 06:11 AM 10-23-2013
I'd be worried too. If he can't stop talking like that, call the parents and advise them to go to the dr. Any loss of skills is not a good sign,
Luna 06:47 AM 10-23-2013
Thanks so much for the advice. It hadn't occurred to me that it could be something that needs immediate attention. He is able to speak normally when I ask him to, but I'm going to call mom to mention it to her.
Kelly 08:03 AM 10-23-2013
I would probably recommend checking with his doctor but it's not uncommon for kids that age to have some weird speech issues come up. Usually it resolves on its own as long as you don't make a big deal about it, which might make them self-conscious.
Luna 09:04 AM 10-23-2013
Mom says she hasn't heard him doing it, and now that I'm paying closer attention I see that he isn't doing it all the time.
I will talk to mom about it more at pickup. I would feel a lot better if she would have it checked out.
Cradle2crayons 09:19 AM 10-23-2013
Also, if you can, you should DEFINATELY video these episodes because when they get time dr,,. It may not happen there.. Sometimes kids are afraid to talk to dr so taking a video the doctor can see with his own eyes what's going on would be he easiest way to do it.
Luna 09:43 AM 10-23-2013
Great idea, I will try to record it.
Reply Up