Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eliminating Pacifier Usage
lovemykidstoo 12:40 PM 07-16-2019
Does anyone take the paci away before parents do at home? I have a dcg that is nearly 2. She only has it here at naptime, but comes in with it in her mouth. The moment mom brings her in, she takes it out of her mouth therefore making her upset. I tell her not to do that, take it away in the car etc. I would like to get her to not want it at naptime, which is the only time she has it here. Thoughts?
Blackcat31 01:14 PM 07-16-2019
I do not wean children before a parent does.

I allow paci's during nap time only so walking in with one wouldn't be allowed. Like you said, take it away in the car BEFORE bringing child inside. Wait until calm if necessary but don't make it MY issue either way... lol!

The way I look at it is most parents will tell you they've weaned the child but really didn't and I refuse to be the one that has to endure a crying kid that gets a paci at home.

I have 2 kids heading off to Kindy this Fall and both are thumb suckers and I can't very well take their thumbs so...

I view weaning from paci's or thumbs or etc as a parent responsibility.
lovemykidstoo 01:23 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I do not wean children before a parent does.

I allow paci's during nap time only so walking in with one wouldn't be allowed. Like you said, take it away in the car BEFORE bringing child inside. Wait until calm if necessary but don't make it MY issue either way... lol!

The way I look at it is most parents will tell you they've weaned the child but really didn't and I refuse to be the one that has to endure a crying kid that gets a paci at home.

I have 2 kids heading off to Kindy this Fall and both are thumb suckers and I can't very well take their thumbs so...

I view weaning from paci's or thumbs or etc as a parent responsibility.
I have never taken away before a parent does either. I was just curious as to what others do. AFter I told mom the last time to stop doing that she hasn't done it again. She says she only has it during sleep at home, but I just saw a pic of her in a boat with it in her mouth lol.
Blackcat31 01:25 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have never taken away before a parent does either. I was just curious as to what others do. AFter I told mom the last time to stop doing that she hasn't done it again. She says she only has it during sleep at home, but I just saw a pic of her in a boat with it in her mouth lol.
napping on the boat?

LOL! I'm sure that is the reasoning you'll get... Gotta love how deep parents will dig to justify something.
AmyKidsCo 01:32 PM 07-16-2019
I don't, but when they get to the point that they only "need" it when they see it I've been known to hide it until nap. I had to push one mom into taking it away when the child put 2/3 of it in his mouth, because it was a choking hazard.

I've decided that when it comes to pacifiers, potty training, "healthy" diets, etc, I can't worry more about it than the parents do. I'm not going to waste my energy to stress over things if they don't.
Ariana 01:34 PM 07-16-2019
I have a child who comes in now with a paci in her mouth. I started to instruct her to take it out and put it in her bag, mom does it too. Now it is the morning ritual. Luckily child did not cry about it.
lovemykidstoo 01:51 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
napping on the boat?

LOL! I'm sure that is the reasoning you'll get... Gotta love how deep parents will dig to justify something.
I know hahaha! I'm surprised it wasn't because she was teething lmao
lovemykidstoo 01:52 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I don't, but when they get to the point that they only "need" it when they see it I've been known to hide it until nap. I had to push one mom into taking it away when the child put 2/3 of it in his mouth, because it was a choking hazard.

I've decided that when it comes to pacifiers, potty training, "healthy" diets, etc, I can't worry more about it than the parents do. I'm not going to waste my energy to stress over things if they don't.
I have one that I keep here for her and it's in a drawer in the naproom. Out of sight, out of mind. I had one mom before that her son would bite the tips off of his. When he started doing that, I said no more here at all. I am not having him choke. She was mad and let him have it at home. I thought she was nuts
Kimskiddos 02:43 PM 07-16-2019
Funny I'm the opposite of all the posters so far.

Once kiddo turns around 6mo and/or gets mobile it goes into the pack and play for naps only. Somewhere between 12-18mo it goes away all together. Never really had much "withdrawal" issues doing it that way.

Have had several dcp's over the years embarrassingly pull a pacifier out of a 3-4yo mouth because they forgot to take it away in the car.
flying_babyb 05:59 PM 07-16-2019
Well I have tried, never works. I did share a tip to my parents who were having weaning difficulty. Stab a hole in it.
boy_mom 06:18 PM 07-16-2019
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:

Once kiddo turns around 6mo and/or gets mobile it goes into the pack and play for naps only. Somewhere between 12-18mo it goes away all together. Never really had much "withdrawal" issues doing it that way.

Have had several dcp's over the years embarrassingly pull a pacifier out of a 3-4yo mouth because they forgot to take it away in the car.
I did the same, once a child could move around and drop their pacifer for others to pick up, that was it for me! I think it definitely helped having lots of activity to distract them, so I never had kids really freak out about it.

I knew that some parents never weaned kids at home, even though they knew they went 9 hours in daycare without one. I always think it's odd to see a child over 2 years old with a pacifier....
rosieteddy 06:46 PM 07-16-2019
after 12 months I always called it a "shutupafier".Its main use was -is to keep the child quiet.I always quit offering it at 12 months bottles and pacies went away.Even at nap I stopped using it.When parents asked I just said it was policy to keep their teeth from getting misaligned .I did not have much trouble with the children ,parents still offered it at home.Funny story ...A mom called one night her newborn was unconsolable.She called crying as she only lived around the corner I went over.The 2and half year old brother was in the playroom.He ran out to see who had arrived.He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me.HEe had 3 pacies ,one in his mouth and one in each hand.He quickly dropped the two and spit out the third.''Nana what are you doing here"LOL busted.
Ms.Kay 04:10 AM 07-17-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I did the same, once a child could move around and drop their pacifer for others to pick up, that was it for me! I think it definitely helped having lots of activity to distract them, so I never had kids really freak out about it.

I knew that some parents never weaned kids at home, even though they knew they went 9 hours in daycare without one. I always think it's odd to see a child over 2 years old with a pacifier....
This!!!! Had a mom stop at a drugstore to get her 2 yr old one for the 2 mile ride home...because dad forgot to leave it!!!!!!
lovemykidstoo 04:40 AM 07-17-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
after 12 months I always called it a "shutupafier".Its main use was -is to keep the child quiet.I always quit offering it at 12 months bottles and pacies went away.Even at nap I stopped using it.When parents asked I just said it was policy to keep their teeth from getting misaligned .I did not have much trouble with the children ,parents still offered it at home.Funny story ...A mom called one night her newborn was unconsolable.She called crying as she only lived around the corner I went over.The 2and half year old brother was in the playroom.He ran out to see who had arrived.He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw me.HEe had 3 pacies ,one in his mouth and one in each hand.He quickly dropped the two and spit out the third.''Nana what are you doing here"LOL busted.
That is hilarious! I can picture him in my mind haha
lovemykidstoo 05:52 AM 07-17-2019
Originally Posted by boy_mom:

I have a 5 year old dcg that has one at home. As soon as she gets to the car, mom gives her one. It's disturbing.

The dcg this post was about, mom told me this morning that she still has a bottle at home. She refuses to drink milk from a sippy cup. She drinks water from one but not milk. Insert rolling eyes. I said, she drinks milk just fine from a cup here. Guess she's not thirsty enough. I told her you know how you break that habit? She says how. I said throw the bottle in the garbage can.
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 07-17-2019
Most here stop using them at around 3-6 months, if at all. I do not give them for crying, only during the beginning of nap, in the crib, with parent request. Most prefer to skip it at daycare, here.

I also do not give it back it if falls out and they are content. I do not allow pacifiers to be down in the playroom, at all. I take them if they are chewing on them, I offer chewers for that.

I will not give a pacifier to any child over 12 months. Same with bottles and spoon-feeding.
LostMyMarbles 10:55 AM 07-17-2019
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:

I only use at nap time here. I, personally, feel it stunts their vocabulary. I feel there is no need to constantly put a plug in it every time a baby makes a noise. I have had parents bring 2,3 and 4 year olds with pacifiers tethered to their kids. Unsafe and nasty.
AmyKidsCo 01:31 PM 07-17-2019
I was just reminded of a child I saw in the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. She looked like she was about 3 years old, had one of those pacifiers with the attached stuffed animal in her mouth and was playing on mom's phone.
Tags:pacifier - wean off, weaning
Reply Up