Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not DC related: question for cold sore sufferers
littlemommy 08:57 AM 01-04-2012
I usually have one outbreak a year, in the winter, when I get a cold. Over the weekend, I had a slight cold with body aches, and developed a huge cold sore. I've been taking l-lysine, apple cider vinegar, echinacea tea, and keeping it clean and dry with rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil.

Kinda gross, but it's at the scabbing stage. Do I keep it dry or keep it moist? I'm not sure which will make it heal faster. I want it gone before my baby is born!! It's hideous and I feel like hiding under a rock.
Ariana 09:15 AM 01-04-2012
Blistex works wonders at the scabbing stage. It keeps it from paining I find. Ideally it should be kept dry but mine always end up breaking and bleeding which is sooooo gross!! I just keep it wet with Blistex until it clears up.

I would also recommend getting a prescription for Zovirex (sp?) for the next time a cold sore starts, it's amazing at clearing it up. Just ask your Doc next time you're there.

I'm from Canada so I'm assuming you guys have this stuff in the USA too
littlemommy 09:18 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Blistex works wonders at the scabbing stage. It keeps it from paining I find. Ideally it should be kept dry but mine always end up breaking and bleeding which is sooooo gross!! I just keep it wet with Blistex until it clears up.

I would also recommend getting a prescription for Zovirex (sp?) for the next time a cold sore starts, it's amazing at clearing it up. Just ask your Doc next time you're there.

I'm from Canada so I'm assuming you guys have this stuff in the USA too
I've tried Zovirex in the past and it works well to stop it before it even flares up! I found my old prescription and it was expired, and I didn't know if it was safe during pregnancy or not. I'm trying to treat it as naturally as possible, but I want it to be gone!!
Ariana 09:25 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I've tried Zovirex in the past and it works well to stop it before it even flares up! I found my old prescription and it was expired, and I didn't know if it was safe during pregnancy or not. I'm trying to treat it as naturally as possible, but I want it to be gone!!

Hmmmm I'm not sure if any of this is safe during pregnancy! I think my pharmacist said topical creams were ok but I can't remember. Even if you can't use Blistex maybe just Vaselin in Lansinoh cream might help.

This is a resource we use here for drug safety during pregnancy. Here's what it says about Zovirax http://www.motherisk.org/prof/update...content_id=942
Cat Herder 09:28 AM 01-04-2012
Abreva (OTC) is the best thing I know of. Heals crazy fast and stops the pain on contact. Pregnancy safe.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Abreva (OTC) is the best thing I know of. Heals crazy fast and stops the pain on contact. Pregnancy safe.
YES!! THIS! It is a bit spendy in my opinion but hey, if it works, it is worth it.
sharlan 10:28 AM 01-04-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
YES!! THIS! It is a bit spendy in my opinion but hey, if it works, it is worth it.
I agree with this.
MissKim 10:35 AM 01-04-2012
I found a great cure last winter. I could feel the tingle of one coming on, and I was on my way out of the door to work (I was teaching high school then). I didn't have any Abreva, so I scrounged around in the cabinet for something to use. On a whim, I put on Aloe Vera gel, the same stuff we use for sunburns. It worked amazingly! I did that for three days in the morning and at night, and the sore never even came!
Reply Up