Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hi Everyone! :)
MamaBear 08:55 PM 06-13-2012
Hey Everyone!

I've been gone from the forum for awhile now... maybe since April? I don't remember. After 6 years of doing daycare, I closed down in April, as some of you may remember... I see a lot of new names on here, so I hope some of the originals are still here to remember me haha I just wanted to check in with you all and say hello! I do miss chatting with you all and I really hope that you're all doing great!

As for me, on my last day of doing daycare, I did the biggest happy dance ever for a couple of days probably! haha. Then I spent about a month just relaxing and soaking in the new found freedom I found. Just being able to jump in my car and run to drop off or pick up my own kids from school or go to Target or the grocery store was something I couldn't do for so long... so it felt really good. I'm still loving that.

After about a month of just enjoying my freedom, I started going thru the employment process of working for our elementary school district as a clerical employee. It was a very long 2 month process. They wanted pretty much everything it takes to start daycare in their application process. I had to do some clerical testing, fingerprinting, background check, typing test that I scored 70 wpm , interview process, references checks (which I found that my ex-daycare parents who were school teachers made EXCELLENT references), etc etc. So basically I'm going to be a Administrative Assistant for the school district. I start later this summer towards the end of July! They pay incredible and I'll have the same school hours as my kids who are all in school now AND will have summers off with them too. This is exactly what I had been praying for and wanting for so long. I just had to make the move to go for it

Also other great news is that my husband is returning from Afghanistan this coming week!!! He's been deployed there since December and we are SO excited to have him home. Its been a rough deployment for him. He lost 2 friends since December. So I thank God every day that my husband is coming home. My sons are so excited too. I'm excited we'll get to enjoy our summer together while the boys are out of school.

So thats basically what I've been up to since my closing day. I really can't say that I miss doing daycare at all. But I was also very ready to call it quits. I give BIG props to all of you for being Daycare Providers and taking care of all these babies each day. It's a big job and I think one of the most important jobs out there. Sometimes the most thankless, but you are all awesome for doing what you do.

I hope you're all doing great!
GretasLittleFriends 09:04 PM 06-13-2012
Your post just made me smile (multiple times). Especially happy that your hubby is coming home. I'm sure 7 months was a long time for you to have him gone, but don't mind me asking, as far as the military goes, that seems like a short deployment? My unit did 18months when they went over there. That was several years ago (and no, I didn't go - my son was 3 weeks old).

Your new job sounds wonderful, especially the hours and the family time you'll be getting. I can honestly say I'm jealous. Maybe something to think about after my youngest starts school, though I'm happy where I'm at now.

Most importantly though, congratulations and I'm very happy for you!!
MamaBear 09:14 PM 06-13-2012
Thank you Yes I'm very excited to have him home. He is special operations in the Navy and their deployments are usually 6-10 months. They don't do those super long deployments. I got lucky with him having a shorter one. Although 7 months seemed like a very long time having him gone. Very ready to have him home!

Working for the school district is a great option if you still want to be home with your kids on summers or have good hours and same holidays as them off. That was my goal. I wanted to go back to work outside the home, but I still wanted to be with them too... so this was a win-win for us.
SilverSabre25 05:05 AM 06-14-2012
Glad to hear that everything is working out so great for you!!!
saved4always 05:18 AM 06-14-2012
I am so glad that you are enjoying your new life! I am jealous of your job at the school..lol! That would be my dream job! I stopped in home childcare, too, last March. Totally with you on that freedom to go to the store and take your kids places! I started working at the center at our church this month so I don't have as much freedom as I did from March to June but it is still great to get out of the house and not have the daycare in my home.

And that is absolutely awesome that your husband will be home soon. My prayers are with you and all the other families dealing with loved ones being deployed.

Thank you so much for updating us!
Countrygal 05:22 AM 06-14-2012
It sounds like everything has turned out so wonderfully for you! Congratulations

So happy for the new job, that hubby is coming home and that your life's change has so obviously been for the good!
Blackcat31 06:28 AM 06-14-2012
Hello!! Super nice of you to check in and see how we are all doing!!

Sounds like you are doing wonderful and enjoying your "freedom"!!! I am so happy for you!!

Congratulations as well on you Dh coming home!!! That is awesome news!!! He will probably love the fact that your home is now your home and no other kiddos are there besides your own! Very happy he is coming home safely!
Lilbutterflie 08:02 AM 06-14-2012
So happy for you!! Thanks for checking in!!
littlemissmuffet 08:05 AM 06-14-2012
Sounds fantastic!! Good for you!
Meeko 09:06 AM 06-14-2012
Good to hear from you! So happy that things are falling into place!
Sugar Magnolia 09:40 AM 06-14-2012
Awesome! Welcome home hubby!!
Ariana 10:00 AM 06-14-2012
I'm so happy that everything is working out well on the "other side" of daycare!!!
lil angels 10:38 AM 06-14-2012
Sounds great I have to admit I am a bit jealous. Would love to find a job like that. A happy home comings to your hubby.
GoodKarma 11:04 AM 06-14-2012
Glad to hear your new life is going so well! And that your husband will soon be home!
AfterSchoolMom 11:13 AM 06-14-2012
So glad to hear that things are going well. Congrats on your new job, and on your DH's return!!!!
cheerfuldom 11:16 AM 06-14-2012
fantastic update. very happy for your blessings in a new job and safe family.
MamaBear 02:42 PM 06-14-2012
Thank you everyone for your nice words I wish you all the best with your daycares and in life in general
Michael 04:11 PM 06-14-2012
Thank your husband for his military service for us.
MyAngels 06:29 AM 06-15-2012
It's so nice to hear from you! I'm glad things are going so well. That does sound like a great job to have when your kids are in school.

Thanks from me as well to your entire family, and especially your DH, for your service to our country. That's probably the 2nd most thankless job (right after daycare provider ) out there .
boysx5 06:59 AM 06-15-2012
Glad to hear all is well enjoy your husband and family have a great summer
Kiki 07:02 AM 06-15-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Thank your husband for his military service for us.

We didn't meet before, but I am happy to read about your update, as well as your husbands return!
MamaBear 09:21 AM 06-15-2012
Thank you Michael! I definitely will tell him that and thank you to everyone else too I'm going to be a basket case this weekend getting ready for him to get home on Monday! So exciting!
My3cents 10:56 AM 06-15-2012
This is so sweet- I am happy for you and your family~ Very nice of you to come back and give an update- I remember you.
WImom 11:52 AM 06-15-2012
Good to hear from you!! Congrats on the job. Doing happy dance that your DH is coming home!!
Tags:close daycare, forum members
Reply Up