Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCF Changing Days For Summer - Does This Contract Addendum Sound Good?
Pepperth 06:16 PM 05-12-2015
I've had a client ask if she can drop to 3 days a week for the summer only to save a little money. (I contract a certain number of days per week and they pay it each week whether they use the days or not). I want to accommodate her because she was my first client and she has given me a lot of positive reviews to her friends. (I want to reward the person who took a chance on a newbie provider.) Also, her older son will be replacing a teacher's child for the summer, which is beneficial to me. I hate to have somebody drop days like this. It will mean having a leaner summer financially, but I've recently added a part-time child and today had an interview for another. It should even out (even though I was hoping to further my income.) To protect myself financially, I was thinking of adding a 13-week addendum to her contract with the following clauses: 1.) Child A may drop to 3-day a week pay until Labor Day, at which time the original contract will resume its course. 2.) The three days a week must be the same each week. (I am hoping to pick up some drop in clients to mitigate the other day he normally comes.) Honestly, I wouldn't mind a lighter load this summer. I don't think 13 weeks will hurt me too much. Are there any other clauses I should add to this if I proceed?
nannyde 08:06 PM 05-12-2015
I would definitely get in writing the time frame BUT the most important thing is the RATE you charge for part time. Don't do 3/5 of the weekly fee for three days. Part time care should ALWAYS have a higher daily rate. I charge 25% of weekly rate per day for three days and 30% per day for two days.

If you charge a 100$ a week for five days the average daily rate is $20 per day. I would charge $25 per day (25% of the weekly fee). Times three days would be $75 per week instead of $60. Then it's worth it.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I would definitely get in writing the time frame BUT the most important thing is the RATE you charge for part time. Don't do 3/5 of the weekly fee for three days. Part time care should ALWAYS have a higher daily rate. I charge 25% of weekly rate per day for three days and 30% per day for two days.

If you charge a 100$ a week for five days the average daily rate is $20 per day. I would charge $25 per day (25% of the weekly fee). Times three days would be $75 per week instead of $60. Then it's worth it.

I have 2 families I allowed to drop to a 3 day schedule over the summer (both from a 5 day schedule). With my 3 day rate, I am only losing out on about $15-17 per week with each family but not having those 2 kids in care 2 full days is a win-win for me because the $15-17 loss is worth the absence of those 2 kids.

.....and I have another mom interested in drop in care just for the summer on the opposite days so I am making more $ with this situation than I am currently with the 2 other families staying at their regular 5 days.

But Nan is right, get it in writing and set a time frame (a start AND end date) and maybe even consider getting a holding fee (equal to two full weeks of care) so that should this family leave at the end of summer, you still have payment for a full two week notice.
Baby Beluga 08:04 AM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have 2 families I allowed to drop to a 3 day schedule over the summer (both from a 5 day schedule). With my 3 day rate, I am only losing out on about $15-17 per week with each family but not having those 2 kids in care 2 full days is a win-win for me because the $15-17 loss is worth the absence of those 2 kids.

.....and I have another mom interested in drop in care just for the summer on the opposite days so I am making more $ with this situation than I am currently with the 2 other families staying at their regular 5 days.

But Nan is right, get it in writing and set a time frame (a start AND end date) and maybe even consider getting a holding fee (equal to two full weeks of care) so that should this family leave at the end of summer, you still have payment for a full two week notice.
I agree with this. I am allowing my teacher families to pay 50% of their tuition and attend 2 days out the week. It will allow me to have a 4 day work week and a lighter load. I will happily take the pay cut for that! The following applied for my families:

- The days and times had to be contracted. There is also a start and end date that I decided.

-Tuition was still due regardless of attendance

-Each family had to leave a deposit equal to two weeks of full time tuition, this is non-refundable. If the children resume their regular full time schedule after the end date then the two week deposit goes towards the first two weeks of their resumed full time care. If they choose to dis-enroll for any reason or stay at a part time schedule then the deposit is non-refundable as I would have held their full time spot and lost money for nothing.
Onawhim 08:50 AM 05-13-2015
I have one family with 2 children who drop to part time for half of May right till September. 2 days a week. It works out because it opens up space for my dds friend and dd to be here in the summer and gives me a lighter load with a will really enjoy.
Reply Up