Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>crazy takes the cake
daycare 10:06 AM 05-14-2015
Ok i don't know what to do with this, i am pretty mad right now.

I have a family ESL speaks limited english. Child speaks almost no English at all. Sweet DCB has been with me for about 7 months is only here 2 days a week for preschool only.

Well this morning DCM walks in and demands to talk to me. I was on the phone with LIC trying to ask some questions. My asst comes get me and says DCM is really upset and need to talk to you now. I get off the phone to deal with this "URGENT" matter.

DCM rolls up dcb pants and shows me a small bruise about the size of a penny and says I want to know what happened. This was not here yesterday before i dropped off. I am looking at her like WTF lady. I said yes that is called a bruise, he probably fell down yesterday or bumped it. She then says well you should have told me, I need to know when he gets hurt so i can decide if i need to take him to the hospital or not.

I repeat, it's a bruise, kids fall all of the time. If I had to call you to tell you every time your child fell, I would not be able to do my job. DCB did not cry at all yesterday, and he can't speak English, so how would I know if he got hurt? there would be nothing that would indicate an injury if he does not cry or tell me and we did not see anything happen. I then tell her, if i rolled up all of the other kids pants, they probably have tons of bruises, it happens, they are kids.
She says NO, it's not ok.

I tell her look, if you are worried about him possibly falling down or bumping and getting another bruise, you need to take him home now. I refuse to have the child stay put in one place to avoid falling down or such. She tells me, I think he needs to go to the doctors. I said well then take him.

Seriously you guys, this bruise is NOTHING... It's called living life and having fun.

DCB is here, but right now it is taking every bit of me not to term over this. I think the only reason why I don't want to term is because it makes me seem like perhaps I am trying to hide something.

Would you term over this?? BTW the child's last day is at the end of the month anyways, preschool only program does not include summer classes....
BumbleBee 10:10 AM 05-14-2015
Personally I'd stick it out till the end of the month and not have room for the summer or next year.

Also, be prepared for a licensing visit.
Rockgirl 10:10 AM 05-14-2015
I'd be afraid of keeping him there. What if, Lord forbid, he bumps his head, or busts his lip?
childcaremom 10:19 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Ok i don't know what to do with this, i am pretty mad right now.

I have a family ESL speaks limited english. Child speaks almost no English at all. Sweet DCB has been with me for about 7 months is only here 2 days a week for preschool only.

Well this morning DCM walks in and demands to talk to me. I was on the phone with LIC trying to ask some questions. My asst comes get me and says DCM is really upset and need to talk to you now. I get off the phone to deal with this "URGENT" matter.

DCM rolls up dcb pants and shows me a small bruise about the size of a penny and says I want to know what happened. This was not here yesterday before i dropped off. I am looking at her like WTF lady. I said yes that is called a bruise, he probably fell down yesterday or bumped it. She then says well you should have told me, I need to know when he gets hurt so i can decide if i need to take him to the hospital or not.

I repeat, it's a bruise, kids fall all of the time. If I had to call you to tell you every time your child fell, I would not be able to do my job. DCB did not cry at all yesterday, and he can't speak English, so how would I know if he got hurt? there would be nothing that would indicate an injury if he does not cry or tell me and we did not see anything happen. I then tell her, if i rolled up all of the other kids pants, they probably have tons of bruises, it happens, they are kids.
She says NO, it's not ok.

I tell her look, if you are worried about him possibly falling down or bumping and getting another bruise, you need to take him home now. I refuse to have the child stay put in one place to avoid falling down or such. She tells me, I think he needs to go to the doctors. I said well then take him.

Seriously you guys, this bruise is NOTHING... It's called living life and having fun.

DCB is here, but right now it is taking every bit of me not to term over this. I think the only reason why I don't want to term is because it makes me seem like perhaps I am trying to hide something.

Would you term over this?? BTW the child's last day is at the end of the month anyways, preschool only program does not include summer classes....
I don't know if I would term or not. How old is dcb? Maybe he told her a story of how it happened and that is why she is upset?

I think that she left him speaks to the fact that she trusts you.... maybe she was just upset by seeing it?

I don't know. How many kids make it through childhood without bruises? None, would be my guess.
Lorna 10:21 AM 05-14-2015
I'd give her two weeks notice. That is crazy!
crazydaycarelady 10:25 AM 05-14-2015
Is this the first bruise he has had in the 7 months you have had him?

Some of my kids have 10 bruises on their leg at the same time. I'd probably just stick it out and then be done with them.
Baby Beluga 10:27 AM 05-14-2015
Whoa, that is crazy.

I would stick it out, not have space come next year and consider doing this:

I read a while back that another member had issues with a parent complaining about bruises. If I have the story correct, the parents wanted the provider to fill out a bruise log for each bruise the child got?

Perhaps have the parents do something similar at every drop off and pick up. They check over the child with you present and the parents log and sign off on every single bruise they see?

It wouldn't solve the problem but would maybe bring to mom's attention just how nuts she is.
Onawhim 10:29 AM 05-14-2015
Oh my gosh! I have one dcb that's honestly head to toe in bruises. He's a rough and tumble get up and go again little guy. I can't imagine being upset over a small bruise ��
Josiegirl 10:38 AM 05-14-2015
Oh good grief. *I* have bruises and don't know where I got them. If I stopped to figure out every child's bruise(or mine) I'd never get anything else done. I was changing a diaper yesterday and the little girl's legs were covered top to bottom with black and blues. They run, they climb, jump off things, tumble, tackle their friends......it's called playing dear crazy dcm.

It all comes down to trust. If you don't feel she trusts you, I'd call it done with her. In the dcprovider-dcparent relationship, there has got to be trust. And it's got to go both ways.
Blackcat31 10:44 AM 05-14-2015
Um, it's a bruise. Bruises can sometimes take days to appear.

Maybe he got hurt on her watch and she didn't tell you.

I wouldn't even address this type of thing. Addressing it only adds fuel to the fire. I would calmly tell DCM that kids do and will get hurt and that you are trained to know if an injury warrants a call to the parent or an ER visit.

If she does not trust you, she needs to find another preschool program.

If she trusts you, then there should be no further discussion about this.

The end.
daycarediva 11:41 AM 05-14-2015
You should see MY legs. HAHA! My sons are AWFUL. Every single one of my dck's has a bruise on their legs right now of some sort. We also have a scraped knee, a scraped elbow and a scraped palm/hand. None of the scrapes happened on my watch, but probably some of the bruises.

I would stick it out, document with photos and heads up licensing but not have room in fall.
Sunchimes 11:44 AM 05-14-2015
I would just add that you might want to take a picture in case she files a complaint, and in the telling, this bruise magically grows. I would, and have, taken such pictures with the child holding a newspaper.
Shell 12:01 PM 05-14-2015
I might encourage her to take him to the doctor over ONE small bruise- they would laugh her out of there!

Agree with the pp that said to have the parent check over the child for bruises daily- I had to do this with a parent- I just calmly told her that she needed to tell me about any bumps/scratches/etc from home- they got sick of it quickly and gave up.

I also might be obnoxious and call dcm any and every time the child fell, tripped, etc.

But in all honesty, just stick with the "kids are prone to accidents at home and daycare, there's no real way to tell when/where something happened, and I will, of course, notify you if there is a major fall/cut/scrape. Otherwise, kids fall all the time.
daycare 12:18 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Um, it's a bruise. Bruises can sometimes take days to appear.

Maybe he got hurt on her watch and she didn't tell you.

I wouldn't even address this type of thing. Addressing it only adds fuel to the fire. I would calmly tell DCM that kids do and will get hurt and that you are trained to know if an injury warrants a call to the parent or an ER visit.

If she does not trust you, she needs to find another preschool program.

If she trusts you, then there should be no further discussion about this.

The end.
the funny thing is that a few months ago we had 3 kids here with black eyes, none of which happened here, but it was just funny timing.

I do feel a bit insulted that someone would come at me that way or question why I didn't tell them about this beyond minute incident.

I do NOT plan to bring it up again, other than telling the dcm as usual child had a good day. the child normally does have a good day, but will cry from time to time. We don't know why the child crys we think it could be because they can't communicate with us.

I am counting the days...ugh

thanks ladies feels better to know that I am not the only one that thinks this was NUTS.

if she saw my son right now she would probably call CPS he plays tackle football and is COVERED in little ones from head to toe......

Going to bust out the bubble wrap...lmao jk
Josiegirl 03:20 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I might encourage her to take him to the doctor over ONE small bruise- they would laugh her out of there!

I also might be obnoxious and call dcm any and every time the child fell, tripped, etc.
Hahaha I like these ideas.
NeedaVaca 04:13 PM 05-14-2015
Oh for goodness sake! I have a huge bruise on my leg and for the life of me I can't remember what I bumped into. My DCK's come with bandaids and bruises from over the weekend and love to compare their boo boo's lol. My own kids bruise easily as well. I remember taking them for well visits and being so embarrassed and the Dr. was awesome! He always said they were in all the right places lol
Reply Up