Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime
mamamanda 10:41 AM 08-06-2015
Ok so seriously...how do you get your dcks to lay down w/o you sitting right by them? I am so frustrated right now. This week has zapped my patience completely. We go over the rules. I lay them down, turn on the noise maker, & leave the room. I get the babies settled (one to nap & one to play) & come back to find the 2 3y.o.s spinning circles in the dark room I take away their afternoon privileges, lay them back down with yet another reminder of nap time rules using my stern voice mind you, & leave to use the bathroom. I come back to find one of them laying down while the other one I sitting up laughing & carrying on in a soft whisper voice. I then sit down in the room & dcb lays still, but doesn't go to sleep. I feel like I'm being held hostage b/c I can't leave the room w/o him acting up & waking others. He keeps yawning and I know he's tired. He's just fighting it to prove he can. I follow through with taking their privileges so I don't know what they think they're going to gain.
Controlled Chaos 10:51 AM 08-06-2015
Have the big kids help you put baby to sleep. Sing baby a night night song with you, blow kisses etc. Not having other LO nap at that time is tough...do you have a play yard, swing, play mat that baby really likes and will play on quietly and happily for a bit? I would NOT leave other children on beds unattended when they aren't trained better to stay on their bed. I would stay in the room, giving the look until they fell asleep. Sorry I don't have a magic trick.
Controlled Chaos 10:53 AM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Have the big kids help you put baby to sleep. Sing baby a night night song with you, blow kisses etc. Not having other LO nap at that time is tough...do you have a play yard, swing, play mat that baby really likes and will play on quietly and happily for a bit? I would NOT leave other children on beds unattended when they aren't trained better to stay on their bed. I would stay in the room, giving the look until they fell asleep. Sorry I don't have a magic trick.
Other than having 2.5 yo nap in a pac n play. I know some here wouldn't agree with that. But I would have them earn a big kids mat or cot. I have put 3 yos in a pac n play for nap who wouldn't stay. I see it as a safety issue for them and the other children.
jenboo 10:53 AM 08-06-2015
I always put babies down first then the older ones. I do sit in the room for about 15 min until all but one is asleep. Then I'm able to leave because they have no one to play with and eventually fall asleep. I use that time to update the food program, do other computer work or just go on fb. I really don't mind the 15 minutes..
laundrymom 10:58 AM 08-06-2015
I'm no help because I'm a sight and sound provider but am curious to read suggestions.
All my kids sleep in same room.
mamamanda 11:57 AM 08-06-2015
I've always sat in the room with them before, but now my 11mo is on a different nap schedule-one in the morning & one in the afternoon. They won't go to sleep if I take him in there with me b/c he "talks" quite a bit. It's so frustrating. If they would fit in the pack n play length wise I wouldn't hesitate to stick them each in one.
Controlled Chaos 12:07 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I've always sat in the room with them before, but now my 11mo is on a different nap schedule-one in the morning & one in the afternoon. They won't go to sleep if I take him in there with me b/c he "talks" quite a bit. It's so frustrating. If they would fit in the pack n play length wise I wouldn't hesitate to stick them each in one.
hmmm all my dcks must be shorties
mamamanda 12:12 PM 08-06-2015
I had a family of boys who were rowdy, aggressive, defiant, etc. Dcg3 was best buds with the older boy, but she has only caused me trouble on a few occasions. The boys' last day was last Friday & dcg has been defiant & unruly all week. I'm thinking maybe she was more of an instigator than I realized & dcb took the fall b/c she is somewhat sneaky. This week she has literally stood in my face & said, "NO!" repeatedly. I respond very firmly with her, but I feel like every child over the age of 2 in my care has tested the rules like crazy this week. No more fun childcare provider. I've had to be the mean drill sergeant all week long. Could that just be caused by the shift in group dynamics? We lost 2 part time boys & gained a full time toddler plus we are working at getting back into a more structured routine since school starts for us next week. I am just baffled by the shift in behavior & I feel like my stomach is in a knot all day.
mamamanda 12:13 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
hmmm all my dcks must be shorties
Haha I'm going to measure dcb. Dcg is actually bigger than my 4&5 year olds.
littletots 12:28 PM 08-06-2015
The ages 23m, 2y2m, 3.5y, 4.5y, 6y. They help put sheets on mats, I read 2 short books, smaller ones fall asleep, I sit in same room & read.
Heidi 12:50 PM 08-06-2015
Disruptive children are threatened with a move away from their friends. That usually does the trick. Sometimes, one ends up in the hallway for a day or two, and then they get it.
Rockgirl 12:51 PM 08-06-2015
I darken the room, turn on noise machine, and lay everyone up against something. No one is just laying in the middle of the floor. I sometimes use dividers so they can't see each other--just pieces of cardboard to block their view. Mine don't get up--they don't even try. They just know it's not done, lol.

But until your group has the routine down, I wouldn't leave the room while they are awake.
Play Care 01:18 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I darken the room, turn on noise machine, and lay everyone up against something. No one is just laying in the middle of the floor. I sometimes use dividers so they can't see each other--just pieces of cardboard to block their view. Mine don't get up--they don't even try. They just know it's not done, lol.

But until your group has the routine down, I wouldn't leave the room while they are awake.
This.
Except I make sure the kids can't see each other by moving shelves, the play kitchen, etc. I have them spread out in the corners of the room. Black out curtains, fan for noise, etc.
Oh, and when I have a group that *clearly* needs more physical exertion than running around the yard can give, we go for very loooooong morning walks
grateday 02:16 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
Except I make sure the kids can't see each other by moving shelves, the play kitchen, etc. I have them spread out in the corners of the room. Black out curtains, fan for noise, etc.
Oh, and when I have a group that *clearly* needs more physical exertion than running around the yard can give, we go for very loooooong morning walks
Yep, I understand. A lot of exercise helps
grateday 02:17 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This.
Yes, that is what I do to. I have one though who is 3 and is going through a defiant peeking over the barrier phase though..........
grateday 02:19 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Disruptive children are threatened with a move away from their friends. That usually does the trick. Sometimes, one ends up in the hallway for a day or two, and then they get it.
I have one who mom says they need to put themselves to sleep, so that one is seperated from the group and sometimes gets really mad, but having them in the same room is too disrupting (stepping on others mats, throwing things at other kids (one time through water on another child)) It is an entitled child with an parent that entitles the kid.
grateday 02:22 PM 08-06-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
I had a family of boys who were rowdy, aggressive, defiant, etc. Dcg3 was best buds with the older boy, but she has only caused me trouble on a few occasions. The boys' last day was last Friday & dcg has been defiant & unruly all week. I'm thinking maybe she was more of an instigator than I realized & dcb took the fall b/c she is somewhat sneaky. This week she has literally stood in my face & said, "NO!" repeatedly. I respond very firmly with her, but I feel like every child over the age of 2 in my care has tested the rules like crazy this week. No more fun childcare provider. I've had to be the mean drill sergeant all week long. Could that just be caused by the shift in group dynamics? We lost 2 part time boys & gained a full time toddler plus we are working at getting back into a more structured routine since school starts for us next week. I am just baffled by the shift in behavior & I feel like my stomach is in a knot all day.

Man, I feel your pain. I don't know if your like me but I need a pick me up. I grab some hemp seeds, coffee, chia, cocoa nibs throughout the day. Magnesium helps calm the nerves and these superfoods have them. I have that kind of group right now... I just know things will turn around, they seem to eventually the more I work at it.
AmyKidsCo 07:21 PM 08-06-2015
I have a couple of 3 yr olds sleeping in my own kids' bedrooms upstairs. One per room. I can hear if they're rolling around and not sleeping, but I think that without an audience they don't bother and just sleep.

The rest of the kiddos are spread around my main floor, 1-2 per room, in places they can't see each other. I usually sit at the dining room table where I can see and/or hear all of them, and if they start messing around they get the "Momma Bear" glare and "Teacher Voice."

They usually pick a board book and Beanie Baby to nap with so if they don't fall asleep right away they have something quiet to do.
rosieteddy 08:02 PM 08-07-2015
I used a "magic" blanket.I tucked a special blanket over the sleepping bag and tucked it tightly (think swaddle) around child.If I thought it was to warm then as soon as they fell asleep I took away that blanket. I also had a folded blanket.I did sit in the room until everyone was asleep.Then had my lunch in their sight.
auntymimi 08:08 PM 08-07-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
This. I also sit in room and read, update food paperwork, ect.
Reply Up