Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ground Covering For Playground
permanentvacation 06:12 AM 08-27-2015
What do you have as a ground covering for the area your kids play in? My front yard is grass and of course has a sidewalk up to my porch. But so many parents complain about their children getting grass stains on their clothes and knees. Sometimes, the kids get ground in dirt on their knees from the dirt below the grass.

My back yard is all concrete. I'm thinking of getting the back yard licensed for daycare simply because there's no grass for the parents to fuss about. But then, I expect that the kids will more often get scrapes on their knees from the concrete. I tell you, I can't win no matter what I try!

So, I was wondering what ground covering you guys have.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 08-27-2015
Grass in most areas, dirt in a few really used areas and a plan to add woodchips to a specific area we are working on.

None of my parents complain about grass stains or dirt as outdoors is a big part of family life in my neck of the woods.

If I did have a parent complain about it, I'd probably not accept them into care as its no grass stains is not something I am willing to guarantee

It's discussed in depth during the interview and parents know before signing on that getting dirty is a HUGE part of my program.
KKDaycare 06:16 AM 08-27-2015
I just have grass and a little cement spot for chalk right off the deck in the back yard and then mulch under the climber and slide. Maybe just ask parents to send kids in play clothes? The parents sound a little too neat and tidy for the way I like to play.
permanentvacation 06:33 AM 08-27-2015
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to start highly emphasizing that the children WILL get dirty and MUST wear clothes that they can get dirty in during my interviews. This has been going on for about 3 years now and it just drives me crazy! I have gotten to the point that we just sit on the porch most of the times when we go outside! I used to LOVE taking the kids outside and would be outside for most of the day. But now, we just go outside for 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes in the afternoon. And to keep them clean, we sit on the porch most of that time. We play with cars, I blow bubbles, and do things like that, so they're not just sitting there, but they also aren't running around getting their energy out and having fun either. But their parents are happy that they are clean!
Annalee 09:57 AM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
What do you have as a ground covering for the area your kids play in? My front yard is grass and of course has a sidewalk up to my porch. But so many parents complain about their children getting grass stains on their clothes and knees. Sometimes, the kids get ground in dirt on their knees from the dirt below the grass.

My back yard is all concrete. I'm thinking of getting the back yard licensed for daycare simply because there's no grass for the parents to fuss about. But then, I expect that the kids will more often get scrapes on their knees from the concrete. I tell you, I can't win no matter what I try!

So, I was wondering what ground covering you guys have.
I have pea gravel covering my playground. The older and younger kids play well. Sure, the littles sometimes will lick the dirt off a rock but they learn that rocks are not for eating
grateday 07:55 PM 08-28-2015
Someone said something to me about Rubber mulch. But with the way kids play with regular mulch, I cannot see rubber mulch being a good fit for under slides and swings. They just spread it out in a day. If your going to use rubber under a swing or slide use a rubber mats.

I have grass with stepping stones. Small areas with sidewalk,fence. Kids draw on fence and sidewalk area with chalk.

We built a sunflower fort this year with 20 foot sunflowers. The kids just love those sunflowers. Inside the fort is a picnic table (it was the perfect solution for shade too). My son was taking that little table umbrella and pushing it down- Now its gone Take that my little stinker.

Ok we have a little wooden playhouse under an apple tree. Apples can be fun but also problematic. Think throwing....Eating fallen ones. Falling on them. I rake them constantly every couple days. One year is a slow year and the next year is a productive year. Ok but a lot of activities can be done with apples so its fun.

Some Sand situations can be a problem in many ways but some people just love it. We get these sand wasps- they just look horrid and they are so large and loud that they move the sand to the sides of them when they fly. Certain sands can create a fine dust that is actually irritating to the lungs (especially if you have those kids that are fixed on pouring and they are sitting close to it/think about those asthma kids too). Sand has to be changed, cleaned, and covered. Boy if you get a lot of it, it is some work to get rid of too.

I think a small quantity of high quality sand to take out and keep protected and able to rotate would be sufficient.

I have raspberries in the backyard, they are perrenial but they do tend to grow like crazy. Kids love them, but I pick them so they dont get scratched. Kids get so excited and scream when they see them.

I grew hanging strawberries to keep ant population out so the kids could actually have some. Sometimes you grow things and its like your growing them for the insects or rabbits. You gotta have a strategy for everything.

I have experimented with grapes on the side of the house out of daycare area and they have seeds and too small for kids. The kids keep eating my basil (its so weird).

We talk about compost and I have a compost area. My son is obsessed with compost.........Don't understand it???
Febby 06:07 AM 08-29-2015
My center is mostly grass. Parents are warned that children get dirty and we don't change their clothes before playing either. If they're excessively dirty, we'll clean them up and change their clothes afterward. Like the girl in my class who rolled in a mud puddle last week.

Under the swings and play structure, we have mulch for our fall zone. There are rubber mats directly under the swings and at the bottom of the slides to help the mulch last longer. We teach the kids not to mess with the mulch and we periodically rake it to even it out.

There's a sidewalk leading from the building, but the portion that's actually on the playground is covered by thick rubber mats. The children use it to drive the cozy coups up and down.
Second Home 06:01 AM 08-31-2015
I was told that if I change from grass/dirt in my play area then it must meet the new regulations . This would mean a minimum of a 12 inch depth of mulch in the whole play area .
Tags:ground cover, outside surfaces
Reply Up