Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Got Me A Couple New Toys This Morning...
Blackcat31 07:51 AM 01-11-2011
So I have always had what I call the "Hotel California" rule when it comes to toys from home. They can check in any time they wish, but they can never leave..... So any ways, this morning my 3.5 year old (the one still in diapers) comes in with two really nice battery operated Little Tike tools. One was a kid version of a screw gun and the other a kid version of a skill saw. He came in and proudly announced; "Look, what I brought!" So I say, "Oh, wow, you brought me some new toys?" I always ask so they have the option of letting mom take them RIGHT NOW so I don't keep them. The little boys says "no, they are mine" so I say "Well, mom better bring them back to the car right now then" and mom goes "I'll just get them when I pick him up." ....as she is closing the door on her way out!! So now I am totally keeping these toys! I would feel differently IF;
1) kid was new here (been here since birth)
2) kid hadn't had toy issues in past and KNOWS the rules from experience (I kept toys last year and "snuck" them back to mom when kid wasn't looking)
3) mom would be even remotely supportive with any rules I have (this is same mom who lets kid wear undies here but not at home)
4) older sibling had same toy issues when he came here (he is in school now)

So I am totally keeping the toys...even if mom asks for them! I do feel sort of bad for kid because mom is letting him think SHE is right and they don't have to listen to me..... But either way, I am keeping the toys! Am I mean?
MyAngels 07:55 AM 01-11-2011
Nope, not mean. I will be curious to see what, if anything, the parent has to say at pick up .
melskids 09:02 AM 01-11-2011
my reply when the parents look for the toys back is always

"toys? what toys? i didnt realize he brought anything in this morning....i haven't seen it, so i'll have to look around for it. oh, i'm sure it will show up."

just so happens i never find it
Lilbutterflie 09:17 AM 01-11-2011
Does she know the Hotel California rule? Have you discussed with her before that when a toy comes in your house it never gets to leave? If this is a discussion you have already had, than my response to mom when she asks for the toy is this: "I have told you before not to let your children bring toys. Since you have repeatedly broken this rule, the toy becomes mine; just as we have already discussed."
If you haven't discussed Hotel California with her before, I would tell her this is the last time an outside toy is ever going to leave your house. The next time she allows her children to bring a toy, the toy will become yours.
Keri'sKids 09:27 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
So I have always had what I call the "Hotel California" rule when it comes to toys from home. They can check in any time they wish, but they can never leave..... So any ways, this morning my 3.5 year old (the one still in diapers) comes in with two really nice battery operated Little Tike tools. One was a kid version of a screw gun and the other a kid version of a skill saw. He came in and proudly announced; "Look, what I brought!" So I say, "Oh, wow, you brought me some new toys?" I always ask so they have the option of letting mom take them RIGHT NOW so I don't keep them. The little boys says "no, they are mine" so I say "Well, mom better bring them back to the car right now then" and mom goes "I'll just get them when I pick him up." ....as she is closing the door on her way out!! So now I am totally keeping these toys! I would feel differently IF;
1) kid was new here (been here since birth)
2) kid hadn't had toy issues in past and KNOWS the rules from experience (I kept toys last year and "snuck" them back to mom when kid wasn't looking)
3) mom would be even remotely supportive with any rules I have (this is same mom who lets kid wear undies here but not at home)
4) older sibling had same toy issues when he came here (he is in school now)

So I am totally keeping the toys...even if mom asks for them! I do feel sort of bad for kid because mom is letting him think SHE is right and they don't have to listen to me..... But either way, I am keeping the toys! Am I mean?
No, you are definitely not mean. They are bringing a risk to you and your license every time they bring in their toys. You, I am sure have spent many hours examining toys you buy to make sure they are safe and suitable for all kids involved and bring minimum risk if any to you and your license. You need to do this to keep your good reputation and record. I support you 100%. My son's went to a private elementary school and they did this even there. They MAYBE gave the toys back at the end of every year. That's if you were lucky.
Blackcat31 09:27 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
Does she know the Hotel California rule? Have you discussed with her before that when a toy comes in your house it never gets to leave? If this is a discussion you have already had, than my response to mom when she asks for the toy is this: "I have told you before not to let your children bring toys. Since you have repeatedly broken this rule, the toy becomes mine; just as we have already discussed."
If you haven't discussed Hotel California with her before, I would tell her this is the last time an outside toy is ever going to leave your house. The next time she allows her children to bring a toy, the toy will become yours.
Yup...see my original post 1,2, and 3 reasons why I am keeping the toy....
Keri'sKids 09:29 AM 01-11-2011
Batteries, PLEASE...any kid could get them out and suck on them, then where would you be? Anything can happen and YOU are responsible. You are right.
Lucy 10:46 AM 01-11-2011
Since you couldn't catch mom and review your rules with her, I would have the toys in a paper grocery sack sitting outside the front door. She will either see them herself, or when she asks for the toys, just say "oh, they're in the bag outside due to my no toys from home rule". Hee hee hee.

I would never just keep it. But that's just me. I WOULD hide it from the kid the minute mom walks out though.
Michael 02:22 PM 01-11-2011
Possession is nine-tenths of the law. I think you have legal standing.
Blackcat31 02:32 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
now that is funny!! I did keep the toy and mom never asked but dcb did.....but mom dragged him out bc she was in a hurry so I didn't get to respond to him...he probably won't even remember tomorrow.
missnikki 03:14 PM 01-11-2011
When she asks, I would say, "Oh yes, we all really enjoyed the toys you donated...thanks so much! They fit perfecly right over here, and they are a hit. Thanks again, that was really thoughtful of you."
momatheart 03:52 PM 01-11-2011
We really need a like button there are so many times I want to click like to all your responses!
Cat Herder 04:01 PM 01-11-2011
I still think this rule is my new favorite!!! LOVE IT!!!

Have been singing that song all day for a while, now....
Abigail 07:38 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
I'm kind of confused...what does this mean?
Lucy 07:50 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm kind of confused...what does this mean?
Finders keepers. Losers weepers.
lvt77 07:52 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Finders keepers. Losers weepers.
I wish I adapted this rule a long time ago....think of all the money I would save...lol

I would keep it until they asked for it back....then I would ask the mom how bad she would feel when one of the other DCK choked on one of the batteries that fell out.....
SilverSabre25 05:22 AM 01-12-2011
Just a quick question here....people keep mentioning being worried that the batteries would just randomly fall out. I was pretty sure that like 95% of toys these days have battery covers that screw on, thus preventing the unsupervised accessibility of the batteries. I could be wrong; I don't buy many battery operated toys. But the ones I do have all have screws. If they have screw on battery covers, WHY would batteries falling out be such a concern?
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Just a quick question here....people keep mentioning being worried that the batteries would just randomly fall out. I was pretty sure that like 95% of toys these days have battery covers that screw on, thus preventing the unsupervised accessibility of the batteries. I could be wrong; I don't buy many battery operated toys. But the ones I do have all have screws. If they have screw on battery covers, WHY would batteries falling out be such a concern?
ditto.....plus these two toy tools were the type without batteries and you have to squeeze the trigger things and they make sounds....no batteries required! I also did a random check of everything I have that has batteries and 100% of them have screw on covers so it would be virtually impossible to get to the batteries.

BTW, my kids are having a blast with my new toys!...including the kid who brought them...go figure!
Lucy 08:19 AM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I wish I adapted this rule a long time ago....think of all the money I would save...lol

I would keep it until they asked for it back....then I would ask the mom how bad she would feel when one of the other DCK choked on one of the batteries that fell out.....
Just to clarify, that's not how I feel on this topic, I was helping to define what something else meant.
lvt77 08:26 AM 01-12-2011
kids are amazing..... my son age 3 could remove the batteries from just about anything...
Bottom line...personal items stay home....
SilverSabre25 08:28 AM 01-12-2011
ditto.....plus these two toy tools were the type without batteries and you have to squeeze the trigger things and they make sounds....no batteries required! I also did a random check of everything I have that has batteries and 100% of them have screw on covers so it would be virtually impossible to get to the batteries.

BTW, my kids are having a blast with my new toys!...including the kid who brought them...go figure!
Okay, now those tools sound really cool! I've been looking for some good toy tools. What brand are they? EDIT: n/m found it in the OP, lol. I might have to get me some of those...
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 01-12-2011
Okay, now those tools sound really cool! I've been looking for some good toy tools. What brand are they? EDIT: n/m found it in the OP, lol. I might have to get me some of those...
Yeah, I posted in original post that they were battery operated but then looking at them closer they have batteries but not the kind everyone is thinking. The tools are these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&creative=9325
I got the screw drill and the skill saw.....I'm thinking of asking dcb to bring the jig saw tomorrow...totally kidding on that one...but I would like to complete the set.
SilverSabre25 08:51 AM 01-12-2011
Yeah, I posted in original post that they were battery operated but then looking at them closer they have batteries but not the kind everyone is thinking. The tools are these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&creative=9325
I got the screw drill and the skill saw.....I'm thinking of asking dcb to bring the jig saw tomorrow...totally kidding on that one...but I would like to complete the set.
:whistle: WOW those are expensive! They look really cool though. Maybe I'll get lucky and score some on Craigslist or at Once Upon a Child.
Tags:toy sharing, toys that stay
Reply Up