Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Nap Issues
ChelseaB 12:11 PM 03-21-2016
The majority of children that I've had in my care have barely reached the age of potty training/trained, and/or they're good nappers, so they sleep well and wake up dry. So the new DCK I have is a slightly different situation, and I'm not sure how to handle it...

A 3 yo DCB started last week, and since he's been here, he has yet to take a decent nap. He'll maybe nap 30 mins to an hour (if that) before he starts this constant process of getting up to go to the bathroom. However, I know he's only doing it to get out of nap (mine is 1-3:30). In my state, kids have to be either within sight or sound, so I have him napping in a quiet room to himself. However, I'll hear him the moment he gets up, so I meet him and he says he has to use the bathroom. I don't want to cause any confusion with his potty training, so the first couple of times, I'll humor him and take him. However, he will try to get up every 5-10 mins saying "I need to use the bathroom". But he doesn't. I know what he's doing, I just don't know how best to curb his behavior. I'll reiterate that it is nap time, he's already used the bathroom, we must lie down quietly and rest. Repeat all through nap. No matter how consistent I am all week.

If he'd just stay on his mat quietly for the remainder of nap time with an activity, it would be one thing, but I cannot get him to do even that. He will make a beeline straight out of the napping area, anything to avoid nap time lol. Thoughts?
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by ChelseaB:
The majority of children that I've had in my care have barely reached the age of potty training/trained, and/or they're good nappers, so they sleep well and wake up dry. So the new DCK I have is a slightly different situation, and I'm not sure how to handle it...

A 3 yo DCB started last week, and since he's been here, he has yet to take a decent nap. He'll maybe nap 30 mins to an hour (if that) before he starts this constant process of getting up to go to the bathroom. However, I know he's only doing it to get out of nap (mine is 1-3:30). In my state, kids have to be either within sight or sound, so I have him napping in a quiet room to himself. However, I'll hear him the moment he gets up, so I meet him and he says he has to use the bathroom. I don't want to cause any confusion with his potty training, so the first couple of times, I'll humor him and take him. However, he will try to get up every 5-10 mins saying "I need to use the bathroom". But he doesn't. I know what he's doing, I just don't know how best to curb his behavior. I'll reiterate that it is nap time, he's already used the bathroom, we must lie down quietly and rest. Repeat all through nap. No matter how consistent I am all week.

If he'd just stay on his mat quietly for the remainder of nap time with an activity, it would be one thing, but I cannot get him to do even that. He will make a beeline straight out of the napping area, anything to avoid nap time lol. Thoughts?
Have him use the bathroom BEFORE he lies down.

If he says he needs to get up and use the bathroom DURING nap, just say no.

Part of being potty trained is being able to go when you have the opportunity and holding it when you don't.
NightOwl 12:30 PM 03-21-2016

He's still adjusting but you should probably put your foot down before this becomes a permanent problem. When he gets up to potty, take him once and make sure he goes. When he gets up again, take him straight back to his bed before he reaches the bathroom and tell him "you just pottied, it's time to rest". Repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't argue, just "you just pottied. It's time to rest". He's 3. He's old enough to understand that this tactic isn't working with you anymore.
ChelseaB 12:32 PM 03-21-2016
I do have the kiddos use the bathroom before nap/do diaper changes, I just worried about the saying no until nap time is over. However you're right -- control is part of potty training. I realize it will take more time, I just hate to do anything to make it a more difficult for the training process in the long run. But thanks BC!
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 03-21-2016
I do have the kiddos use the bathroom before nap/do diaper changes, I just worried about the saying no until nap time is over. However you're right -- control is part of potty training. I realize it will take more time, I just hate to do anything to make it a more difficult for the training process in the long run. But thanks BC!
Totally understand but asking him to hold it, going before nap or after nap is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. I think what trips most of us up is saying no to a training child but really when you think about it, how exactly does one "train" a child to hold it? I would assume by having him do exactly that.
ChelseaB 12:36 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
He's still adjusting but you should probably put your foot down before this becomes a permanent problem. When he gets up to potty, take him once and make sure he goes. When he gets up again, take him straight back to his bed before he reaches the bathroom and tell him "you just pottied, it's time to rest". Repeat, repeat, repeat. Don't argue, just "you just pottied. It's time to rest". He's 3. He's old enough to understand that this tactic isn't working with you anymore.
Thank you NightOwl -- you're both right, I feel better knowing that I have the right mindset after all! It will just take probably a bit more time and a bit more firmness on the matter.
Play Care 01:20 PM 03-21-2016
I had a DCB pull the same thing. I realized he was holding it all morning so he had to go a few times during nap. After that I made sure he used the bathroom a few times in the morning and right before nap. Once I realized he could,hold it for *hours* when he wanted to, the gig was up
Tags:napping issues, won't sleep
Reply Up