Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Just Want to Throw Away the Toys?
newtodaycare22 09:30 AM 04-01-2011
I have a crazy amount of toys and, of course, do not put them all out at the same time. We rotate and I use the bin system for storage. I just always feel like theres a few little action figures or play animals, or something left around and I just want to pick up the trash can! lol I may purge some this weekend
SilverSabre25 09:34 AM 04-01-2011
When the kiddos spend 45 minutes engrossed in playing with two empty laundry baskets, or 20 minutes at a stretch tapping on old keyboards, or DCB 2.75 decides to "sit on the couch and be bored" instead of playing with the room full of toys, or DD3 whines that playing is boring...

Yeah, I know how you feel!

I feel like that most when they've made an enormous mess (and why, oh WHY, do they have to bring legos into the kitchen and Little People into the art stuff and cars into the Little People?!) and none of them either a) want to help clean up b) are capable of helping clean up or c) while I'm cleaning up one mess, they are behind me making three more.
Unregistered 09:40 AM 04-01-2011
Yes Yes Yes!!!! Sometimes I do throw stuff away because I never ever want to pick it up again. I do however find myself amazed when I see something on the floor that I don't recall ever seeing before.
My Daycare 09:49 AM 04-01-2011
Someone on this board had a no toy time period. I don't remember for how many days, and I forgot to read the whole thread to find out how it worked out.

I wish I could find it now.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
Someone on this board had a no toy time period. I don't remember for how many days, and I forgot to read the whole thread to find out how it worked out.

I wish I could find it now.
It was Kendallina https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...hlight=no+toys
cheerfuldom 10:05 AM 04-01-2011
I hear ya. I purge regularly and seriously avoid toys that are sets and come with lots of small parts. We have dolls but no barbies and all her accessories, we have a train set but only what can fit in a certain size tupperware, no action figures or anything with numerous small pieces.
heyhun77 10:07 AM 04-01-2011
This week I took away half the toys that were currently out for play times. I had enough of them bringing so much out that they couldn't clean up in a reasonable amount of time and they weren't understanding that if they put things away when they were done that it wouldn't take so long to clean up. I will rotate again this weekend and put the normal amount of bins back out but I'm not sure they'll understand yet. I have several older kids that do know better but figure that I don't care if they leave things all over since that's how it is at home.
Evansmom 02:09 PM 04-01-2011
YES! I get so tired to tidying up the house every. single. night.

I think after DS3 goes to school I might only take in infants. That way I can have my living room back!
Hunni Bee 07:00 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I hear ya. I purge regularly and seriously avoid toys that are sets and come with lots of small parts. We have dolls but no barbies and all her accessories, we have a train set but only what can fit in a certain size tupperware, no action figures or anything with numerous small pieces.
Hey....I have ONLY sets with numerous small pieces!! I dont know how that happened...but I actually like it because a) it encourages cooperative play - legos are really more fun where 3 people are building and b) it makes it impossible not to share (you have 50 of the same thing!! share some with your buddy, darnit!! lol).

You would think my room would be a mess, but its really not at all...there's no dumping (just for the sake of dumping), no mixing the sets together (again just the for the heck of it, if you are building something extremely complicated and want to use 3 different materials, fine) and you must clean up before you go to another activity or area.

I do have a few stand alone toys. Someone donated a kid's digital camera that actually takes pictures...I wish I'd never seen it. They had no comprehension of why they would ever be expected to share the thing, and 30 minutes and 30,000 tantrums later, neither did I. I "accidently" left it on the other day and now the batteries are dead...silly me...So I dont wish for individual toys.
Abigail 11:07 PM 04-01-2011
I use to be a housekeeper for a family of two little girls. Once a month I needed to clean the HUGE playroom and certain things I got tired of stepping on and picking up.....the worst toy of them all was the little sharp jacks with a bouncy balls. I put them up high on a shelf after stepping on one to many and realized they were never touched again. LOL. I came to the conclusion that the parents never watched the girls play in the playroom because anything I put up high on a shelf stayed there forever.
momatheart 05:08 AM 04-02-2011
I have made all toys off limits before except for books, paper and crayons and left out only a bin of big legoes. THEY LOVED IT. It was like less was so much more to them and so much easier.

And yes if I have had to pick it up I have tossed it before.
Tags:toys, toys - storage bin, toys - throw away
Reply Up