Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do If You Hit The Lottery?
Mary Poppins 07:36 AM 03-09-2012
I know this is purely hypothetical and silly but...

WWYD? Would you give your clients notice and work the time out? Would you hire someone to do it for you? Would you just open the door and say "sorry, hit the lottery, SEE YA!"??? Or just leave a note on the door and disappear??
blueclouds29 07:39 AM 03-09-2012
i would stop doing childcare and just be a stay at home mom for my kids

bunnyslippers 07:40 AM 03-09-2012
So funny, my husband and i have discussed this before! I would probably close after 2 weeks, per my contract. I would be afraid the clients would find out I won and sue for breach of contract! Dare to dream ~
AnneCordelia 07:41 AM 03-09-2012
If I won the lottery I would give my two weeks notice and work it out. I would likely hire someone to help me though. LOL. And this is only cause I really like all my current families.
KEG123 07:42 AM 03-09-2012
I'd do my 2 weeks. Then stay home with my kids.
JenNJ 07:43 AM 03-09-2012
I would give clients two weeks notice. Then I would be a SAHM until my youngest was in school full time. Then I would volunteer at a children's hospital. I would adopt a puppy and train him to be a comfort animal and visit all the sick kids in the area with him.

Or I would volunteer a the zoo. Or become a park ranger. IDK. I would have to work doing something. I like kids and animals so a mix of those would be ideal.
Mary Poppins 07:43 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
If I won the lottery I would give my two weeks notice and work it out. I would likely hire someone to help me though. LOL. And this is only cause I really like all my current families.
Same here! Dh and I said we would rent out our local Chuck E Cheese type place and hire a team of babysitters to make the last 2 weeks the best of the kid's lives.
Mary Poppins 07:44 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I would give clients two weeks notice. Then I would be a SAHM until my youngest was in school full time. Then I would volunteer at a children's hospital. I would adopt a puppy and train him to be a comfort animal and visit all the sick kids in the area with him.

Or I would volunteer a the zoo. Or become a park ranger. IDK. I would have to work doing something. I like kids and animals so a mix of those would be ideal.
Awwwww!!! You are such a nice person.

I would head to the Cayman islands and think good thoughts about you.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:51 AM 03-09-2012
Pay off my house, My travel trailer, Buy hubby a new truck., pay off my credit card, but still work cause we would be bored!
Childminder 07:53 AM 03-09-2012
How much did I win? Seriously? I'd move to Puerto Rico and stay at no kids, all inclusive resort.
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:53 AM 03-09-2012
Oh and drop $13,000.00 on schooling to become a Vet Assistant. My dream Job.
melskids 08:01 AM 03-09-2012
I would open a childcare center and hire single moms, (or any woman....or man, i suppose....struggling to better themselves) to work there. Not only would they get top dollar, and their childcare for free, I would put them all through college.

I would also open a nursing home and do the same thing.

That way, I can MAKE SURE the children and elderly would be getting top quality care.

There would be stipulations, of course, for working for me. They would have to prove they wanted it, and it was their life's passion to work with either age group.

That is, after I get myself out of debt and put my own kids through school.

...a girl can dream....

ETA: to answer your question, I would actually keep my current kiddos.....AFTER a trip to mexico for a month.
sharlan 08:01 AM 03-09-2012
Since it can take 30 - 90 days to get your money, I wouldn't say anything. All of my non grandkids are PT and I'll lose them come summer.
DaycareMommmy 08:05 AM 03-09-2012
Give two weeks notice, pay off our home, help hubby take his business to the next level and spend even more time with my own kids. I spend a lot of time with them already because I work from home but I also think about how much they have to "share" Mommy.
Cat Herder 08:34 AM 03-09-2012
1. Pay off my parents, siblings and in-laws houses/cars/credit cards/medical bills. That would enable them to do more for their loved ones. (I'd never want to disable them by making them dependent on me, just ease their load a bit)

2. I'd pay for all my nieces, nephews college (I am paying for my own kids either way). Maybe trust funds at 30. I want them to be successful on their own. THAT is invaluable.

3. For me: I'd open a Non-Profit Senior Center & Residential Home that is 100% self reliant (along with Hospice Services). I'd expand at every possible chance. That is where I'd work from then on....
MrsB 08:52 AM 03-09-2012
I think I would give notice to my parents. Probably 2 weeks, but I would offer to help them find someone else, go on interviews, do some networking finding providers with a good reputation.

Then I would sell most ALL my household items put my sentimentals in storage, pull my kids out of school to "home"school them, and we would go travel for a year or more. Fun places, like Paris, London, tropical islands, but educational and humanitarian places too, help feed hungary kids, rock babies who's mothers died of aids.

I also do genealogy on my free time, so I would want to travel to all the places my ancestors lived.

When I got home, I would find something to do, just not sure what besides be SAHM mommy.
itlw8 08:52 AM 03-09-2012
well I never play so it is just dreams

I would continue working but only take teachers children and take the summers off.

I would buy a place at the lake that we could also retire in and then when dh is old enough to retire we would both do so. He wants to retire in 5 years I said he has to w0rk another 10
jojosmommy 10:14 AM 03-09-2012
I would quit daycare that instant because someone would sue me for something ridiculous if they knew I won. Then I would mail my families a year's worth of daycare expenses for their troubles.

I would go on a vacation with my hubs, then my mom and eventually when the kids got older a Disney trip. I would pay off my parents mortgage and car loans- same for MIL and our siblings.

I would hire a live in chef/personal trainer/nanny. 5 day per week work outs, healthy food and somone to watch the kids 2 mornings a week while I volunteer at the school. Likely hard to have one person who could do all that- unless I hire my mom which would be sweet too I guess.

I would send my hubs to Africa- his dream. Finally, I would forever pay double for everything so the next in need would have a free kindness act. (we currently do that for miscellaneous stuff like pay two church registrations for my kids Sundays school so they can choose to help another in need.)
Heidi 10:16 AM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
I think I would give notice to my parents. Probably 2 weeks, but I would offer to help them find someone else, go on interviews, do some networking finding providers with a good reputation.

Then I would sell most ALL my household items put my sentimentals in storage, pull my kids out of school to "home"school them, and we would go travel for a year or more. Fun places, like Paris, London, tropical islands, but educational and humanitarian places too, help feed hungary kids, rock babies who's mothers died of aids.

I also do genealogy on my free time, so I would want to travel to all the places my ancestors lived.

When I got home, I would find something to do, just not sure what besides be SAHM mommy.
Sounds like a plan! Now, just show me the money....
AfterSchoolMom 10:30 AM 03-09-2012
I'd probably finish out my time with this family - I love this little one.

I'd be a SAHM after that, though. We'd pay off all of our debt, get a new house and I'd pay off some bills for my best friend and a few members of our family. Then I'd invest a good chunk so that we'd be guaranteed never to run out. I'd make sure that all of my kids have their college funds all set.

THEN we'd take an awesome vacation on a beach somewhere with clear blue water. Ahhh....

Wow, I needed this today! Thanks!
iheartkids 10:57 AM 03-09-2012
Some people have brought up some good things. I have in my contract that I can terminate at will at anytime. So I would just tell my parents that something personal came up and I can no longer do daycare. Knowing MY LUCK...if I gave a 2 week notice that one of those kids would fall and get hurt then the parents would have a basis to sue! People get nasty when the lottery comes into play! Then after I close and I get the money I would send them all a gift card for a weekend hotel stay somewhere to make it up

As far as what my family and I will do? Goodness, my husband and I already fight about this! LOL! He wants to just uproot our whole family and travel, travel, travel (while I homeschool the kids on the road! HA!) and I want to be more laid back about it and use that money to open something for the community and give back somehow.
Meeko 11:05 AM 03-09-2012
Retire.

And wouldn't tell my day care parents any more than that.

Two weeks notice and quietly slip away..........................
GretasLittleFriends 11:09 AM 03-09-2012
I don't think I would close, but I could definitely be more choosy of the families and hours I accepted. I really like some of my families and would want them to stick around.

My DH and I would pay off my parent loans and his siblings' houses, not sure about his parents, as they are already well set, but we would do something for them too. Buy them each a new (practical for them) vehicle, take them all out to a very nice full dinner, and announce "We've paid off your homes, bought you each a new vehicle, you're on your own now." My DH would likely buy himself his perfect semi, and we would either bulldoze or add on to our current home, making it the way we want it. This would mean having a daycare specific area too, not just the kids in our main living areas. We would set money aside for each of our 3 kids for college and money towards a house when they get that far. We would sock the rest away and enjoy the interest. Of course, we'd donate some to our church, and travel a bit too.

Unfortunately, neither he or I buy lottery tickets, so our chances of winning are VERY slim.
karen 11:32 AM 03-09-2012
I would work out my 2 weeks. Maybe find someone who could take over this business and just give it to them. After I take some much needed time off get some serious R&R, go on a shopping spree do stuff that I have always wanted to do after all of that I would find a part time preschool job!
laundrymom 11:36 AM 03-09-2012
I would invest, and finish raising the kids I have now. I would not quit on them.
Lucy 11:37 AM 03-09-2012
I would give notice. For long-timers, I would work until they found a GOOD replacement. For my one longest family, I probably would actually do some of the searching while the mom was working. 8 yrs with them, and love the kids. Want the best for them. The rest of my families would be on their own, but I would definitely work till they didn't need me. Within reason, that is!!

Bottom line, I would QUIT for sure!!! Travel with hubby in our motorhome. Take cruises. Make our lives easier as far as bills. Help out family members.
Blackcat31 11:38 AM 03-09-2012
If I won the lottery, I would probably say a whole lot of "bad" things to a whole lot of people in my life.
SunshineMama 12:07 PM 03-09-2012
This question is great!

I would quit on the spot, mid-day, come pick up your kid- no questions asked. I'd pay them 2 weeks of tuition and send them on their way, with a list of other providers and resources.

I agree with Silver-they would find a reason to sue.
SilverSabre25 12:08 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
This question is great!

I would quit on the spot, mid-day, come pick up your kid- no questions asked. I'd pay them 2 weeks of tuition and send them on their way, with a list of other providers and resources.

I agree with Silver-they would find a reason to sue.
LOL That wasn't me; same avatar, different name :P That was jojo's mommy.
wdmmom 12:12 PM 03-09-2012
(I know, I'm dreaming but...)

I'd start selling daycare stuff immediately and begin the take-over of the space!

I would give all families 2 weeks to figure it out and have my assistant do 90% of the work involved!

I would put my own children in private school.

I would buy myself a Camero (the old style one...my dream car!)

I would buy my husband his dream car...a DeLorean.

I would probably look for a newer, bigger home.

Hire a maid!

Go on a vacation to Mexico...probably for a good 2 weeks!

Pay off my parents home.

Spread money all over my bed and jump on it! (I've always wanted to do that!)

Put in an inground pool, a hot tub, build a new deck, hire a landscaper, get the house painted, get a new roof and

the Number 1 thing I would do:

OVERHAUL MY KITCHEN! Buh-bye white cupboards and white countertops! Hello ceramic tile floor, black appliances, granite countertops and oak cabinets.

Does this really have to be a dream?!
Breezy 12:16 PM 03-09-2012
Pay off my house and both cars.

Buy my mom and dad a home in a nice school district for my brother (they live in a two bedroom apt with him and my sister and my brother keeps getting beat up by the nasty kids in the area)

Put the rest away and become a sahm and get a college degree!!
laundrymom 12:17 PM 03-09-2012
Why would the dc parents sue?
MrsB 12:30 PM 03-09-2012
I dont think my DCP would ever sue just because I came into money. I can totally see how in this day and age an entitled DCP might feel the need to get greedy though. Just hypothetical of course, if a DCF decided to find something to sue you for since you have a bunch of money, is it going to matter whether you give them 2 weeks or not? Its not like their opportunity to sue you is up once you dont provide care anymore.
CheekyChick 01:53 PM 03-09-2012
I have thought of this MANY times...

If I won a TON of money, I would give the parents two week's notice, give each child a hefty savings bond for college, and give their parents something
special too.

Then I would go on endless cruises, get a personal trainer, and have a staff to care for my every need.

Oh, and I would give a ton to family and friends, charities, etc.

I have 10 lottery tickets right now. *crossing fingers*
Country Kids 02:10 PM 03-09-2012
Lottery list:

Quit work and be a fulltime wife and mama!!!!!!!!!!

Bless my church/the elderly that attend

Help hardworking family members

Buy my dreamhouse with cash from the people that bought it. Was a very, very sad time in my life, its been three years and I still get very sad when I see it and someone else in it. Then buy a home where I grew up for the weekends or whatever.

Take my kids to Disney Land and every other amusement park there.

Travel the United States and take the time to enjoy our beautiful country. Also visit Canada because I here its pretty there also.

I wouldn't spend it wastefully though. Once the above was done, except for traveling I would want to live a very peaceful, simple life and enjoy the time I have.
Unregistered 07:06 PM 03-09-2012
I have a ticket for the Lotto Max (Ontario, Canada) for tonight..it is $40 million so I'd be RETIRED as of tomorrow..LOL! I'd give my dss and dil at least a couple of million, put money in a trust fund for my 3 grandsons, give each of my 4 siblings money and each of my ten nieces and nephews...a nice lump sum for them to do as they wish...

I'd get our house renovated and then figure out what to do to keep busy after that...as long as I have enough to live comfortably for the rest of my life, I'd be happy and it would be so nice to help out the most important people in our lives....
MyAngels 09:07 PM 03-09-2012
The first thing I would do would be to talk to a financial planner so that I could make the best use of whatever amount I won.

I think I would close my daycare, but not without providing ample notice and help, if necessary, in finding new providers for the kids.
cheerfuldom 06:25 AM 03-10-2012
Pay off all our debt

Pay off my in-laws debt....they are wonderful people that constantly care for everyone else to their own detriment....they have raised three grand kids and even homeschooled them!

Put aside money for my disabled brother

Help out family in a non-enabling way (dont just give them cash to blow)

Start a fund for my church

Pay for my nieces and nephew to go to college

Put some in savings my kids' college and weddings

Quit daycare and finish my journalism degree

Get my dream job (I would work no matter what)

Travel, beginning with missionaries we know around the world. We could help their churches, give some money and have our kids learn a great lesson in helping

Buy my husband a project car

Redo our backyard (we probably wouldnt move)

Spend a little on new furniture, new sewing room complete with all the fixin's, new clothes

Save the rest for a rainy day
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
i would stop doing childcare and just be a stay at home mom for my kids
I would the complete opposite . I love doing daycare. My husband and I were talking about this last week and I had decided that if we won the lottery we'd buy a house but keep our condo and rent it out. Our house would have at least 5 bedrooms (one for us, one for each of our 2 kids, an office for him and an office for myself which would double as guest bedrooms), 2 full bathrooms, a LARGE yard, a large kitchen and a large all-seasons room or addition that lead to the yard. The addition would be dedicated daycare space and I would buy all of the awesome things that I've always dreamed of having for my daycare.
-one of those fancy step-up changing tables with the cubbies overhead for supplies.
-those awesome stackable cots from Lakeshore
-real wood, sturdy shelves for toys like in classrooms.
-A designated padded area especially for the babies and young toddlers with unbreakable mirrors.
-A large playground area with the rubber padding underneath and new climbing equipment for the toddlers
- I'd expand from a small FCC to a large FCC and hire on 1 or 2 helpers and start my own volunteer program for high-school/college kids that wanted to get experience with child care.
etc etc etc

Oh man the things that I could do. We wouldn't pay our condo or house off right away, we'd just designate enough money to pay for them both and put it away in a seperate account but continue to make our mortgage payments (for the write-offs lol).

My husband decided the house would have to have RV access and he'd buy a toy-hauler for all of our quads and have a monster garage which was all decked out with manly tools and things.

We both decided we'd put away at least $100,000 for each of our kids for college so they could go pretty much wherever they wanted and not tell them. And if they decided not to go to college well then him and I could go on a VERY lengthy VERY expensive vacation .

The rest we'd bury in the backyard .

PS. I'd take the annual payout. Even with a small 12 million dollar jackpot we'd be getting $400,000 a year. The jackpot for the mega millions is 177 million right now. That's $6,800,000 a year. I think I could live with that
daycare 09:08 AM 03-10-2012
I would move my parents and cousins to the USA to escape the war.

I would buy the biggest property I could and build a zoo on it for all of the Daycare kids.

I would keep the house I have now for my children to buy off of me later.

I would also expand my daycare and hire two assistants so that I could get help.

OH and I want a lake on my property too so I can learn to swim.

I would also pay for all of my kids, nieces and nephews to go to private school and the best college of their choice.

I don't think that my life would change too much. I am a simple person...

Just don't let my husband have the money, he's a crazy label ***** and loves fancy things...
permanentvacation 02:42 PM 03-10-2012
Pay off all my debt!

Start a chain of my own daycare centers

Buy a house - nothing big but since I currently rent, I 'd like to own my own home again

Set aside money for both of my children's college education - one is already in college

Set aside money for my retirement - I have NO retirement funds and I'm already 40 years old!

Purchase burial plots and everything needed for my final expenses

Pay off my one sister's house and buy my other sister a house (she currently rents)

Go visit my dad - he lives a few states away, has alheizmers and isn't doing very well. Currently, I can't afford to go visit him.

Pay my ex-husband back the child support and extra money that he's paid/given me.

FINALLY NOT BE FINANCIALLY DEPENDENT ON MY EX!!!! WOW THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!
Reply Up