Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creams
MrsB 10:33 AM 03-09-2012
After reading everyones posts about diaper rash it seems that everyone uses alot of cream.

I am puzzled by that a little. IME it seems to lock in the moisture rather than let it breath and dry out. I always clean it good. Pat it dry with a papertowel, if I have time let it air dry and then occasionally if the child has had soft stool or frequent BMs I will put vaseline on it. Rarely do I ever really need the vaseline though.

I have had alot of moms that bring their babies/toddlers to care and their bottoms are always slathered with cream. Anyone else?

I have some desitin on hand, but have only used it a handful of times. I dont really see any major improvement in the diaper rash.

In fact, I had a little girl that had yeast infection. Mom went to the doctor and gave yeast cream and was instructed by doctor to put yeast cream on and then diaper rash cream over the top. It didnt get worse, but didnt really go away. We were changing her like every 30 mins to half hour. I suggested no using the desitin and just the yeast cream. Cleared completely up in 2 days. Dr said oh yeah I guess it would need to breath.

I have had a few that have had really bad diaper rash and putting them in a little tub of water for a quick water bath, really helps more than irritating it with wipes or rags. I realize not everyone has the time for this though!

Just curious what everyone else's experience with all the diaper rash creams are.
KDC 10:45 AM 03-09-2012
Aquaphor is my answer to everything!! (Sort of my windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding, LOL !) It's by Eucerin and is sort of vaseline like, but in my opinion less greasy and WAY better. It's a big pricy, but most diaper creams are, and it WORKS!

If you can have the area 'air out' without threat of it ending up everywhere... that works, but most kids are in diapers and the cream will protect against more irritation.
GretasLittleFriends 10:47 AM 03-09-2012
My own kids really only had issues when they were ill or teething. My older two, you could use anything from powder to any diapering product to just a soda bath. My youngest, on the other hand, is the high maintenance one. We knew this from the beginning, as I have a pic of her in shades (hospital provided) laying in the tanning bed (UV light treatment for Jaundice). Anyway, the only thing that works for her is Boudreaux's Butt Paste. Soda baths help sometimes, but Butt Paste ALWAYS does the trick. Not sure what makes it so special compared to J&J, Desitin, A+D, or anything else.
GoodKarma 11:01 AM 03-09-2012
I use it as a protective barrier if a baby has really sensitive skin and/or is prone to poopy diaper rashes. I have had babies who get a rash immediately upon pooping unless they had cream on. Or, they get rashes if they tend to poop several times a day. I have the parents supply the cream of their choice and I don't use a whole lot at a time, 1 regular-sized tube lasts me several months.
littlemissmuffet 11:06 AM 03-09-2012
I also use Aquaphor if anything. Works like a charm on ANY kind of rash... helps w/ eczema too!
Meyou 11:13 AM 03-09-2012
I only use diaper cream if they have a rash and then I use the brand the parents provide unless it isn't working and then I suggest something else for them to buy.
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 03-09-2012
I use a skin protectant to prevent urine burns and keep stool from sticking to the skin (Lantiseptic, Sween, Prosheild, Aloe Vesta), etc.. I thoroughly clean, pat dry (bounty select-a-size) and re-apply every change.

To treat rashes I have different creams for different causes. Zinc, Vitamin A & D Cream, Triple Paste, Hydrocortizone or Miconazole blends.

(I am in one of the "regions where certain fungal infections are common" that you hear about on new drug commercials High humidity zone)
Soupyszoo 11:42 AM 03-09-2012
I have a dcm (the Tylenol giver!) who always ALWAYS sends dcb with powder on his butt. I have another sent "bum butter" for dcg. And another who doesn't care at all!

My dd had diaper rash issues when she was a baby and we were told to use mylanta and aquaphor combined. Very messy but worked well.

The best thing IMO is a warm bath with baking soda to soak in. It really works!! And I agree letting it breath and then combined with the baking soda bath works wonderfully!
Blackcat31 11:45 AM 03-09-2012
other threads about diaper rash/cream/treatment/remedies

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26627

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33521

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33174

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34074
SunshineMama 12:17 PM 03-09-2012
I only use a cream after the bottom is thoroughly dry, and if they already have a rash. I use cornstarch to prevent a rash if it is common.

You are right, if you use cream on a wet bottom, or after using wipes and not letting it dry completely, you are locking in moisture, which exacerbates the rash.
nannyde 04:30 PM 03-09-2012
We rarely ever have to use any creams. I don't go thru a tube of cream a year. We keep a and d on hand and desitin but we end up tossing them because they outdate.

I have parents bring one tube of each at enrollment and usually we end up throwing them out.
MNMum 11:14 PM 03-11-2012
If I have a child who is prone to diaper rash then, Clear A & D to prevent, and a white cream with zinc oxide to treat. I have one red head who gets frequent diaper rash.
Lianne 04:13 AM 03-12-2012
I don't use anything on a maintenance basis. If a child has a minor rash then I use a cornstarch powder and that's usually enough. If the rash is worse, then I use a high zinc cream to protect the skin from urine and feces. If the child's diaper is wet only then I'll lightly wipe the area, enough to remove the urine but without cleaning off the cream and then add more cream on top.
Solandia 04:59 AM 03-12-2012
I have had some very, very sensitive little guys throughout the years....and I have used *maybe* Desitin or other diaper creams a handful of times. I have never needed to use creams or powders regularly as a preventative.

I keep on hand, a tube of Desitin and cornstarch....occasionally if a baby starts a new food or milk that doesn't work well (a 1yo overeating on citris, ugh!), or super acid diarrhea from being ill...my super-sensitive little guy would instantly get red & blistery/raw. If a raw bum, I will just use the cornstarch b/c it will dry up the area, and then the skin wont stick to the diaper. But it usually cleared up quickly. It is amazing how fast little kids heal.
countrymom 05:04 AM 03-12-2012
wow, I'm old school. I use nothing, lots of bum changes, and if its a rash I don't use wipes, but a wet papertowel and pat dry. Cornstarch is awesome too. Now, if its bad, I do have a mixture of canestan cream and boo boo cream (sorry I forgot what its called right now) mix together and it takes the rash away, its a true cream because our drs prescribe it here, but if you dont have coverage then they tell you to do this. But my cream gets tossed out because I rarely use it.
countrymom 05:05 AM 03-12-2012
also, desitin dries your skin so you need to really watch using it. Good old vaselin works better because its protective barrier.
cheerfuldom 06:19 AM 03-12-2012
I rarely ever use any cream although I do have parents that slather it on constantly, rash or no rash. My own children are cloth diapered and between the three of them, we have maaayyybe used on tube of cream in the past five years. Cloth is a good option for babies that have constant rash too because a lot of time, it is sensitivities to the chemicals in disposable diapers
My3cents 10:42 AM 03-12-2012
I am in love with Bag Balm!!!

Tnolan 02:58 PM 03-27-2012
The best thing to do is to let rash air dry when possible. If you have to put on diapers then what you want to do is protect the skin from being further aggravated by urine, etc. That is why creams are applied. We have seen a new product called Bum Ease, which is a spray-on zinc oxide cream. It is easy to use and doesn't hurt the baby due to rubbing. Daycare workers like this because it is much quicker and easier to use than rub-on creams. You can ask your parents to provide it as well. You can learn more about this at:

www.mybumease.com
dEHmom 06:04 AM 03-28-2012
I have a mom who asked me last week, to stop using baby powder cause she thinks it's the cause of dcg's constant rashes. i told her I never use baby powder, EVER, and no bubble baths.

I've asked parents to send bum cream to keep here just in case. i hate when they wake up from nap poopy with a burn and I have nothing for them.

So I just filled a salt shaker with cornstarch and started using that. All my parents say "too sensitive for that" have to use specific types of creams. But I never received it, so I use the cornstarch instead.

I have A+D on hand as well. It was on clearout at walmart so I bought some.
Tags:diaper rash, diaper rash remedy
Reply Up