Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:00 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Outside Time Issues

I have a parent who is concerned that her child is too sick to participate in outside activities because he has runny nose. His nose has been running for the past 3 weeks but he hasn't ran a fever or reached any other criteria to be excluded from daily activities. The parent is concerned that if he goes outside, it could escalate to a worse condition. I informed the parent that because I am licensed by state, they require that I take the children outside daily, but I use my better judgement. If its too cold outside or raining, we stay inside. Because I am working alone, if we go outside he must go with us because he cannot remain inside alone. She was really upset and rude and accused me of not working with her and cutting her off. I could lose the client but this is not the first time that she has been demanding or rude. I'm trying to understand her side with the fear of losing time from work or taking her son to a doctor. Yet, I tried to inform her that the state regulates this issue and they are the governing authority, not me.

Because it is Valentines day, my plan was to take the children outside to run off the sugar from cupcakes and cookies.

My question is, what's the appropriate way to handle a client that acts demanding and acts like you should treat your child as if he is the only child in care when you have a majority of children who could benefit from a regular scheduled routine. Her argument was that (other lic providers do it so, so should I.)

I finally backed down and told her that he would not go outside which leaves all of the other children out of outside fun
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 AM
New Daycare.com Member

If she doesn't want him to go outside then he should have stayed home or she could come pick him up during outside time. Why should you stay inside just because he has a runny nose? Does she not go outside when her nose is runny? I would have told her the kids ARE going outside and she has those 2 options. If she decided to leave then oh well. If she has been rude before I wouldn't care if she left.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have in my contract that if any child is not well enough to take part in general daily activites, they should remain home - this would apply here. DCM has the choice to send her child or keep him home! She is asking you to change routine for her ONE child vs the others you have, so it sounds more to me like this DCM is not willing to work with you vs the other way around when you are obligated to do things a certain way!?
Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If he can't go outside he needs to stay home. PERIOD.

My sick policy has in it, "If your child is too sick to play then they are too sick to be here."

There is no way I would keep a group in for one child.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM

She is aware that he probably has a runny nose from all the germ filled INSIDE air right?

Fresh air is one of the fastest ways to cure a common cold.

I also agree that any time someone is too sick to go outside or participate in regular daily activities, they are too sick to be in attendance at all.

Now you have other kids who don't get to do something because of ONE other child. Sad that the mom doesn't realize that.

Maybe when it is time to go outside, you should call her and tellher she needs to come pick her child up so the other kids who are healthy can go outside.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Tell her fresh air is good for runny noses! If the weather is cooperative, we go out. If they "can't" go, then they need to go home. I had a dcm tell me once that dck couldn't go out because of a cough. I said, well, we will be going out about 1030 and 400, so if you would like them to stay in, come at those times to pick dck up. She complained something about a meeting and not be able to get out of it-great, then dck is going outside!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Daycare Member

yes my policies state that outdoor time is a part of our daily routine and a child is expected to come dressed according to the weather and ready to participate. My illness policy specifies fever, vomiting and diarrhea and that "as a rule of thumb a sick child prefers to be at home. If your child is too ill to participate in our daily activities, please keep them home as I am not equipped to make alternate arrangements".

I, obviously don't take them out if we have a windchll warning or heat index warning but other than that we are outside twice a day- as per the day nurseries act requirements.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

I use the same policy...if you are too sick to participate in normal activities, you are too sick to be here.

I would not make the others miss out on outdoor play, in order to stay in and watch him. I would make sure the mom knows the time(s) you play outside, and give her the option that she can either come watch him inside during that time (or arrange for someone else to do it) or he will be outside with the others where you can watch him.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Daycare.com Member

Cold weather/being outside does NOT cause flu or colds. She really still believes that? Tell her it's a simply not true and if the child is too ill to participate in all activities then she will have to keep him home. I would never have backed down on this one, so unfair to the other kids. Honestly, I would lose good families if I didn't take their kids outside for this kind of reason...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Chaos Coordinator :)

I have the same policy as everyone above. Outside time is important!

Honestly I'd see it as a way to get her to term herself rather than me having to do it. It sounds like she may be a hard parent to deal with and I don't want one parent dictating what is best for my group based on what is easiest for her.

I've had parents try to press this issue occasionally (or try covert ways "oops I forgot jimmy's coat guess you can't go out" ...I have extra hidden away, generally ugly/flamboyant ones parents hate) but I stay firm and if they prefer to go to someone that will indulge their every request then then can feel free to give notice.

My group needs outside time and we don't get a lot of it sometimes because of the rain we get but any chance we get we're going out!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Thanks

Thank you for all of your responses, they really helped a lot. The client tried to say that her son is anemic but this never came up during the screening process during the interview. I will draw up a letter stating that I understand and sympathize with her dilemma but if she feels that her son is not well enough to participate in regular scheduled activities then she should consult a doctor but I will stick to policy and use some of the advice you have given. Thank you sooooooo much
Old 02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Daycare.com Member

What does being anemic have to do with him going outside?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
What does being anemic have to do with him going outside?
Yeah? I thought she didn't want him outside because of his runny nose - which imo that doesn't matter either.
If mom doesn't want him outside, then he's not well enough for the daily activities and I would not keep the others inside. Mom needs to keep him home if he's too sick to be outside.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

I say oh I am sorry I can not leave a child inside all by themselves while I take the other children out. I would lose my license if I did something like that. Then I wait for them to say something a LONG pause if need be and I really look like I am listening