Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Do You Serve The Correct Amount Of Food?

Currently I'm not on the food program but plan on joining once I get licensed.
The children I currently have do not eat much at all. Most are used to fake processed foods that I do not serve. I usually dish out the food based on what I know the child will/will not eat. I do put a little of everything on their plates. They all know that they can have seconds of anything they want.
I was looking at the serving sizes for the food program and there is not way these kids are going to eat half of what im required to serve them. I feel like its going to be such a waste of food.

Is there anyone else who doesnt serve the correct amounts but have some extras ready for seconds? or if the food program people show up?
Or do you think it is too risky??
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

I have available their correct serving, but depending on the child, I may only give them 1 bite worth on their plate. It is there to have more, but if they aren't going to eat it, I don't have to throw it. My fp lady told me it was fine as long as it was ready to serve if they wanted it. So if it was mashed potatoes, they would have to be cooked and ready-not just having an extra potato uncooked and then needing to fix it.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Daycare.com Member

It has to be available but does not have to be on the plate to start. same with milk I give less in case they spill or just do not drink it Then I can give more. Most kids will learn to eat healthier food in time. We do taste tests when it is not time to eat of new foods. Then I will serve a tiny serving at a meal as an extra food until most of them like it. You should see them eat pomagranets
Old 11-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do the same as what the others suggested. I have a couple that eat every single bite on their plates and more and I always offer them more but I have a couple little ones that pick out a few pieces and dump their food on the floor. I also don't offer all the milk at once for spills and also because they will fill up on it.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

I dont offer all because I would waste so much food. But if the fp was here I have to. According to the rules we either have to swrve family style and they get the amount they want but extra cant be used as leftovers or I serve the correct amount and we can have leftovers.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Family Childcare Provider

I serve each child a portion, they eat as much or as little as they want and that's that. I took a healthy eating class through the FP and they suggest allowing kids to eat as much or as little as they want of each item. It sounds crazy and does create waste but they eat more on some days and less on others. The craziest thing, happened today. My dh served lunch while I took our baby to the dr and DCB who refuses pasta of any kind for a year now, ate pasta!!!! LOL you just have to keep trying those foods.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

thanks for the responses!
I keep doing what I am currently doing...Cook the correct amount of food according to the food program but only serve a little and remind them that they can have more.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Family Childcare Home

The whole point of the food program is so that children that aren't regularly exposed or encouraged to eat well balanced and healthy foods can be exposed to them at daycare. I can't tell you how many children start at my daycare after their parents profess that their child will not eat healthy foods and then after a few weeks of being here begin to enjoy and eat much of what I serve.

It may be different here than other places but here I am required to keep planned menus, have set serving times etc. and when my food sponsor shows up she checks what I served vs what I said I would serve. She visually eyes the portions and everything. For me as long I offer the food I'm okay, the child doesn't have to eat it. Does it waste food sometimes ... sure, but eventually after trying a few recipes you find foods that the children love. For me, I find that keeping it simple works best.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
I serve each child a portion, they eat as much or as little as they want and that's that. I took a healthy eating class through the FP and they suggest allowing kids to eat as much or as little as they want of each item. It sounds crazy and does create waste but they eat more on some days and less on others. The craziest thing, happened today. My dh served lunch while I took our baby to the dr and DCB who refuses pasta of any kind for a year now, ate pasta!!!! LOL you just have to keep trying those foods.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Daycare.com Member

I used to serve the right amount, then my food person said it only has to be offered. I KNOW one of my girls drinks almost little/no milk, so frequently I will ask IF she wants some, and if she does, I will only give her a little. Same with cheesesticks, I won't open the individual packages if one person says they don't want one.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

I always have the correct amounts available - BUT I let the kids chose how much they want (the full serving size, a little, or none) and I plate the food. If they want more they can have it. What isn't eaten is wrapped up and used either for my families dinner or for another dc meal in the next couple of days.

I would love to say that frequent exposure to healthy foods had done wonders for my group, but even after being with me for years I have some of the pickiest eaters, so I do what I can (within regulations) to cut the waste.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

Pomegranates? None of my dcks will eat them! I had posted a chart of new foods we were trying and graphed who liked or didn't like them. Nobody liked them and I couldn't figure out why.
My food program rep told me I only had to have enough available but that I could just put a spoonful of each food on each plate.
I have a couple SA girls who refuse to drink milk, simply refuse. I give them water but the rep came at lunch time one day and said you HAVE to serve milk. I'm thinking why, I know it's going down the drain. But I give them a sip worth, then water after lunch.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

We serve family style. I prepare the correct amount. Then I only put about 1/2 the amount into our serving bowls. They take how much they want. Then if I need more I have more ready to go. If I don't, then I can wrap it and put it away.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mema View Post
I have available their correct serving, but depending on the child, I may only give them 1 bite worth on their plate. It is there to have more, but if they aren't going to eat it, I don't have to throw it. My fp lady told me it was fine as long as it was ready to serve if they wanted it. So if it was mashed potatoes, they would have to be cooked and ready-not just having an extra potato uncooked and then needing to fix it.
Yup, I only have to offer it. My group (aside from 2 boys who eat CRAP at home) are pretty good eaters though and they make up for the picky guys.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Daycare.com Member

We do have to cook enough to cover the right portion side for each child but they don't have to eat it if they don't want to. I hate wasting food too, so I serve smaller portions and give them more if they ask. My adult son makes pretty short work of leftovers.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Family Childcare Provider

I was shocked when my DS and the other DCB sat and ate a little bowl of pomegranate seeds! I had then eat them on the back patio to avoid the mess! LOL they loved them!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Daycare.com Member

I serve the appropriate amounts (just incase) and it is up to the kids to eat it or not. (been lucky most of mine eat it all) .
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I recently learned that if a child was only to take at least 2 bites of each of the components that we serve, that it would meet the daily intake requirements.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/prescho...ood-plans.html