Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are Your Rules About Push/Pull Toys INSIDE? What about Ride on Toys?
cheerfuldom 01:15 PM 11-18-2013
I am wondering if I am a horrible daycare provider for getting rid of almost all of these options in our playroom. My own kids have a couple of options in their rooms but I just hate these toys in the playroom. The kids love them but someone is always getting hurt or run over or falling off something when these options are out. Plus I find the push and ride on options to be the ONLY thing that some of the kids will do. Just sit on a toy and do nothing. or push a toy in a circle over and over and over and over.....doesnt seem to be helping their creativity to fixate on these things. When I remove them, the kids will finally move on to doing something using their imagination. These have happened several times over the years, with different kids and I always end up removing all these toys eventually so the kids will stop fighting, stop getting hurt, and do something else. Does anyone else have this issue???

I put a baby stroller away from a 20 month old that is seriously fixated on this item. I put it in the pack and play while I was busy cleaning up. She pushes over a rocking horse, climbs and stands on it and try to throw her body INTO the pack and play. She only wants this strolller, all day every day. Its driving me crazy. She isnt interested in anything else when I put the stroller away but at least she isnt hurting herself or anyone else when I do hide the stroller. I dont want to get rid of it entirely because my youngest daughter still plays with that after hours.

Do you see this behavior from your kids? I am talking the toddler to young preschool age. I will say that some of the kids do just fine but there are ALWAYS a couple of kids that cannot handle push/pull or ride on toys at all!
Blackcat31 01:30 PM 11-18-2013
I have NO push toys
I have NO pull toys

I know these toys teach a certain skill but those skills can be learned on someone else's watch and not mine.

I got rid of everything that fell into those categories for the VERY reasons you mentioned.

I even went so far as to cut the plastic cord off the Playskool phone so the kids couldn't pull it around anymore....drove me insane.

As a matter of fact, I remove ANY toy the kids fixate on.... IMHO, that only creates a territorial issue and I hate dealing with that.
cheerfuldom 01:42 PM 11-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have NO push toys
I have NO pull toys

I know these toys teach a certain skill but those skills can be learned on someone else's watch and not mine.

I got rid of everything that fell into those categories for the VERY reasons you mentioned.

I even went so far as to cut the plastic cord off the Playskool phone so the kids couldn't pull it around anymore....drove me insane.

As a matter of fact, I remove ANY toy the kids fixate on.... IMHO, that only creates a territorial issue and I hate dealing with that.
wheeewww! I was feeling horrible for doing this but if you find the same issues, I guess I am not so crazy after all. I also have cut the cord off a few toys and left just the toy in the room. I am actually a bit surprised you can even find toys with strings on them anymore
Neekie 02:23 PM 11-18-2013
No push or pull toys, no riding toys, no doll strollers or buggies, no wagons, no corded toys in my house. I do have them outside. I got tired of kids getting hurt by one child riding, pushing, or pulling a toy over another child. There just is not enough room in the house especially if there are other toys or the floor or babies that are crawling. So they can play with them outside where there is a lot more room.
melilley 03:47 PM 11-18-2013
I allow some, but if they start fighting over them or are getting hurt, I will put them up. I do have to say though, my kids don't really fight or hurt each other over them. There was a thread (I think on Friday), but I can't remember what it was about, that gave a link to a video on Youtube by Nannyde on how to have children play with push toys. It sounded like a good idea.

Oh here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LyRILn4gQ
momofsix 06:30 AM 11-19-2013
Right now I have 3 shopping carts and one stroller. We're talking about healthy eating/grocery stores and thanksgiving this month so I have a grocery store set up, that's the only time I have the carts out.
The stroller is always out but it has never been a problem. The kids only use it to push a baby and have been good with it. If it's a problem-it's gone.
countrymom 06:50 AM 11-19-2013
I have push and pull toys and never have a problem. I do have shopping carts that sometimes they become crazy then I just make them put the carts away and they move on. I have caught some of the younger ones sitting in the baby strollers waiting to be pushed lol! Even the ride on toys, they become everything that they are not, like they are a car to go to the grocery store, or they put tools in (aka tool truck)
Heidi 07:00 AM 11-19-2013
I have 4 of them on my covered front porch, and will bring one or two inside for my 11 month olds, but only when the 2 year old is not here. He just gets too wild and I end up taking it away anyway. The 11 month olds are cruising, and I would love to allow them to have something to push around, but not at the expense of everyone's safety. I have a 5 month old that needs a lot more floor time, IMO, and it's already a balancing act when the other quite literally walk all over him.
Blackcat31 07:06 AM 11-19-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I allow some, but if they start fighting over them or are getting hurt, I will put them up. I do have to say though, my kids don't really fight or hurt each other over them. There was a thread (I think on Friday), but I can't remember what it was about, that gave a link to a video on Youtube by Nannyde on how to have children play with push toys. It sounded like a good idea.

Oh here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LyRILn4gQ
I do that with cars and trucks and other floor toys but I was thinking something like ride-on cars or large push type toys such as a baby stroller or shopping cart...you know the big obnoxious ones...

The floor ones are definitely easy to manage....and if not, the Nan trick is a cure-all for sure.
Rachel 11:29 AM 11-20-2013
I have to have push and pull toys. One of the rules. The push toys I have are outside, and if they cause too much of an issue any day I just stick them over the fence (I have a landing and there is a gate so the kids can't get them). I have a few pull toys (including that phone), but they don't cause any issues at the moment. Of course I only have 2 walkers now, maybe when I have more walking there will be more issues.
BrooklynM 12:00 PM 11-20-2013
I usually keep the push toys outside- I have a 275 sq foot covered enclosed porch off of the playroom so we are able to walk out on it from the room, but we had our first rain yesterday and I found out I have a leak and the wind also blew in some rain so it is pretty wet. I cleaned off the push toys and brought them inside. Within 5 min it was chaos so I pulled them, lol. We've never had an issue with them outside before,these kids aren't used to being cooped up I guess!
thetoddlerwhisper 01:40 PM 11-20-2013
i tried push toys they lasted a week maybe then they were gone. the kids run and fight. we have a gross motor room with rideons but they stay in that room or outside. i dont want them in the main room
Tags:rules, rules -toys
Reply Up